Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could it be.....Turbo?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-01, 08:00 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and some new pics...

When putting the throttle body back on, make sure you:

A: Tighten all bolts a LOT

B: Zip tie all vacuum hoses so they don't pop off under boost

C: Reconnect that antifreeze hose that is nearly impossible to get to

D: Make SURE you put the gasket back in BEFORE you do A,B,C. (please note gasket in following picture, and the fact that A,B,and C are already complete)

DOH!!
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-167s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:13 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the oil feed line that goes to the turbo. If you look at your oil filter you'll see a LARGE bolt beside it. You gotta pull out that bolt, drill it, and then tap it for the connector. Luckily Lance had an extra bolt around, so I had him go ahead and tap that one, and I sent mine back to him. That saved a lot of trouble!!
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-149s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:15 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

And here's the oil return fitting. It's the blue thing at the bottom there. Theres a plug down on the block, you just drill it out and tap it. MUCH easier said than done.
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-143s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:18 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

And you have to remove the oil pan also, to get the metal shavings out. Easy right? Just an oil pan?

Well it would be easy, if it wasn't for the fact you have to remove the rear subframe of the front suspension, which in turn destroys your alignment. I now know why a Lexus lasts forever...because they're impossible to work on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-147s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:20 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

And the intercooler piping/intake piping. Painted it with 1200deg paint that matches the car. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit the long pipe in the oven to bake the paint on....hmmm. For now the grow light....errr....I mean heat lamp is heating it. Notice the fittings on there for the additional fuel injectors....n.e.a.t.o.
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-153s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:24 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the intake piping with the blow-off-valve installed. Thats the HKS Super Sequential BOV....looks and sounds better than the rest. Hope it works good too.
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-170s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:29 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

No more Zex for me. Damn. Gotta go with a wet kit from now on, the dry one could hurt it now.

Wait, are we talking about the car still?!

Jeff....whatta ya think of me getting a 300ZX TT nitrous kit...that has two solenoids, and put one jet into each side of the manifold where the intake splits to a "Y"?? Lance was talking to me about that....god I would hate to have to take that side of the intake off tho...its connected to the injectors somehow.

Got a name of someone at NX that I should talk to about it?

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-171s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:33 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Now that's just too cool. The SC300 already has the mounting holes for the side-mount intercooler. Odd...maybe they make a turbo version of it somewhere in the world? (damn those lucky aussies and brits)

Looks like I need to clean the underside of the car....I see a "little" overspray from when I painted it. No matter....when the wheel is back on ya can't see it.

Notice the small front brakes....well only until tomorrow. Once I get the car to start again, I'm gonna switch out the brakes with the big ones!

I also found the limits of my Optima red-top battery. Two days of playing the stereo cranked, and it's dead. Can't believe it lasted that long with these amps!

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-169s.jpg  
Old 10-20-01, 08:43 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

And what is it with these cops. Always stereotyping people in modded cars, saying we're drug dealers, say we're breaking the law all the time.

Glad it was only my dads car. My favorite dialog with him today was

D: "Is it legal for you to remove your catalytic converters in Florida?!"

Me: "Yes dad, of course! I wouldn't want to do anything illegal!"

D: "What about that external wastegate, that will blow the exhaust directly out of the manifold, causing flames to shoot out from under your car, sounding like a large jet coming from your engine bay, and blowing terrible fumes at anyone nearby?"

Me: "Well that's legal too, we use it to scare the alligators out from under the car, and to prevent us from getting carjacked."

D: "Let me guess, Florida is one of those states that doesn't do a yearly vehicle safety inspection?"

Me: "Bingo."

D: "What about an emissions check?"

Me: **points to the catalytic converters sitting on the ground, never to be installed again**

D: "Nevermind. Just don't try having the Florida trooper call me to get you out of a ticket or jail."

heh

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-150s.jpg  
Old 10-21-01, 06:03 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good..not too much more for completion....pipes look good.....and i hate having to do things twice...I.E.gasket.....keep on posting us about the completion..Jeff
Old 10-21-01, 09:23 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Jeff....I'm stuck. The rubber air intake pipe that connects to the turbo won't fit. The distributor is in the way. I even removed the metal guard from the bottom of the distributor, still won't fit. I have to pinch the rubber intake pipe almost completely for it to close. Any advice? You got any pics of your up close?

Thanks!!
SR

Oh ya, I still can't get the filings outta the engine....hmmm....
Old 10-21-01, 12:31 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by hwallen172
Forgive my ignorance, but will an aftermarket turbo still pass emissions inspection? I wouldn't mind getting one, but I've got to pass inspection in Atlanta.
HAHA

It will never pass a visual in any state requiring one. Notice the cat connected to the exhaust manifold? Here today and gone tomorrow.

Notice the disclaimer when you purchase such a kit; "for offroad use only".

But then again, it's only money, so who cares?
Old 10-21-01, 12:52 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

ah brings back memories of my install... looks great and good luck!

-brian
'92 turbo veilside rsp sc300

{
team koncept racing
hyper racing
team toyo
valvoline
apr performance
}
Old 10-21-01, 03:08 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Wiz, it should be tight, but it fits...
Are you using the right elbow?
I used a little WD-40 on the hoses to help them slip on. You shouldn't have to take off the distributor nor the shield around the distributor.
I've got my digital camera batteries charging and I'll try to get a pic to you tonight.
Old 10-21-01, 03:15 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

You've got to find the plug... Also, you didn't have to drop the pan... All you had to do was lower it, move it back slightly and put a trash bag over it so that the filings don't get in it. Forget about moving the rear crossmembers.

On the filings... I just put my fingers in the hole, got most out by hand from both ends, then hooked up a shop vac to the hole just created. I then ran some cheap oil through the hole. I did an oil analysis on the first change and got virtually no metal found in the report of the oil, so my method worked fine. Make sure the oil return hose isn't too long. You don't want any slack in this hose, because it may be suspect to collapse if you have extra bends in this hose... I had a problem with this hose kinking up because I had left it too long. You just want it long enough to reach with a smooth curve to the block, no extra.

Quick Reply: Could it be.....Turbo?!