Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could it be.....Turbo?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-01, 04:52 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aiight, finally got the filings and the plug out. In the pic all the shiny dust are the filings, and the plug is the little round silver metal thing right below the elbow arm. Damn glad I got that outta there!!

I pulled the pan, cleaned all the filings. Blew air thru the oil return hose to get the filings out of the hole and crankcase. I was thinking of running cheap oil thru it too to clean it out, but decided instead to use a bottle brush to get the remaining filings outta the crankcase. Well the filings you see in the pic were those remaining filings...just blowing them out didn't work very good.

Also you can see I took off the oil feed tube and the protective crank cover. That gave me enough room to get my hand under the crank and find that damn plug!

I'm also going to put a couple magnets in the bottom of the oilpan to catch filings while it's running. I couldn't believe it didn't have magnets already....every other car I've ever owned had them in there for protection...

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-177s.jpg  
Old 10-21-01, 04:57 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

If I had some of that FIPG stuff to seal the oilpan, I would be able to start the car right now. Damn. Gotta wait for Toyota to open in the morning. Here's the engine bay pic, right before I hooked up the fuel line.

SC300T/TURBO....where did y'all run your oil feed line? I ran mine along the bottom with the steering rack and then back up to the turbo.

Also, I did have to take the distributor shield off to get the intake on. After about 30min of creative banging, I finally installed the rubber intake hose BACKWARDS, big side directly on the turbo, and used another piece of rubber to mate it to the airfilter. At least it fits now. It still sits against the distributor so hard that the pipe is bent into an elliptical shape.... I bet the turbo will still be able to get the air it needs tho...the vacuum should be huge right there.

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-172s.jpg  
Old 10-21-01, 05:07 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Here....I went out and took a closeup. It's still really hard to tell. The #6 wire on the bottom is pushing into the rubber intake so much that it's dimpled in halfway. If I had left the dist shield on, it would have been almost smooshed closed. With the rubber pipe turned around the correct way, it had no chance in HELL of getting on there.

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-178s.jpg  
Old 10-21-01, 05:42 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, looks like, a crank.

Enough pics for now, I'm off to work on it some more!

SR
Attached Thumbnails Could it be.....Turbo?!-mvc-176s.jpg  
Old 10-21-01, 07:14 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good...call lance about the intake tommorrow..he will know whats up with it........mine fits fine...no rubbing...love all the pics..Jeff
Old 10-21-01, 08:52 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

hey SR

what clutch are you running? how drivable is it?? comparing to stock, how much stiffer is it??

Arthur
Old 10-21-01, 09:50 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

mine clears the distributor just fine.... i used a silicone hose off the turbo which comes off an angle. the oil plug was fun eh? i removed mine along with that crossmember bar since the car was on the lift anyway. you're gonna love the turbo man

-brian
'92 turbo veilside rsp sc300

{
team koncept racing
hyper racing
team toyo
valvoline
apr performance
}
Old 10-22-01, 08:25 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I'm still on the stock clutch. I'm sure it's not gonna last but so long, but I need a new one anyways. It's got 63k on it already.

Jeff....I'll call Lance today and ask him about it. There is no way the intake hose would fit on there without rubbing the distributor. It would be nice to keep the protection shield on it too!

More pics to come later....I'm about to go out and start (well hopefully) the car for the first time.

SR
Old 10-24-01, 08:16 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

All I can say is OH MY GOD. 9lbs of boost, and I'm in a friggin rocket.

Any gear higher than 1st, and my clutch will just break loose of I floor it. Time for a new one ASAP! Ugh...the expenses will NEVER end!!!

First car I found was a mustang with the stickers "Drive it like you stole it" and "Ready to lose?" Dispatched him in short time. I think he literally crapped his pants when my wastegate opened...MAN that thing is loud!

Only other car I found was a Supra TT, he kept up well, but couldn't come close to passing me. Maybe he wasn't on it fully? I think it was just unmodded.

Well I didn't mention the early 90's Civic hatchback. I didn't think it was worth putting here. Or the Cavalier. What is it? These poeple put a tip on, and think it's work 100hp....LOL

Dude in the civic even said "man I'd spray but I've got a broken valve." Maybe if there was a bottle in the car, you COULD spray? Broken valve? How's it running? Maybe I shoud get a civic....they run without valves! Wonder why Toyota can't engineer that...LOL

I'm gonna borrow my sisters digital Mavica tomorrow, her's does video clips, mine wont. I'll post a clip of acceleration or something. ANd I can't get my blow off valve set correctly...it makes the wobble sound no matter what. I loosened it all the way and it worked, but then the car is stalling.. Ugh I guess I need to tune the S-AFC next to fix that one.

More later! It's time to go cruisin some more!

SR
Old 10-24-01, 08:43 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Tear em up!

You get a clutch in that thing (not an RPS please) and you should be able to rape any Supra TT that is still limping along on stock twins, even BPU Supras.

Get that thing dialed in with a good clutch, try out a 50%-75% 116 octane cocktail... You can conservatively dial in 13psi, (I've done 15-19psi on a variable boost- more at high rpm.)

At 18psi, you can cruise along at 4100rpm in 2nd gear, punch in about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, and do a nice long 45-65mph burnout to 6800rpm... Shift in to 3rd and you'll be able to get it sideways a bit. (no burnouts in 3rd, but it does spin a little).

A friend of mine just recently bought a 2002 Z06, and after back to back rides, I think he's a bit intimidated.... Its funny, we see the two cars in the driveway and he refers to the Lexus as the "beast". There's always been this thing between us racing and we talk about it all the time, but it just hasn't happened yet. On a highway roll, a 10 second race ends up being 135mph, the amount of room and ***** it takes to let these things loose is too much for most roads... Geeze, am I getting paranoid in my old age....
Old 10-24-01, 10:03 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

sigh i wish my car was running right =T welcome to the world of turbo =)
Old 10-25-01, 12:47 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

for my boost controller, T/T and other electronics, do i need the wire harnesses?? or what should i do?

Arthur
Old 10-25-01, 08:24 AM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

arthur,

i installed my avc-r, s-afc, hks turbo timer by splicing wires... they dont make any harnesses that i know of. too bad i found out recently that my s-afc never worked from the start... ugh. i do have something interesting planned as far as electronics though, i'll let everyone know how it works out.

-brian
'92 turbo veilside rsp sc300

{
team koncept racing
hyper racing
team toyo
valvoline
apr performance
}

Last edited by VeilsideRSPsc; 10-25-01 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-25-01, 11:25 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Scott! Help! What settings are you using on your AVC-R? Like solenoid duty...shift numbers...etc. I'm having some odd things happen. It just feels like it has lots of lag now with the boost controller running for some reason.

SR
Old 10-25-01, 12:06 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Default Settings:

RPM Boost Duty
3000 .7 28%
3500 .7 28%
4000 .7 28%
4500 .75 28%
5000 .75 31%
5500 .85 33%
60001.00 41%
65001.00 41%

I have the start duty at:
1st -50%
2nd +3%
3rd +2%
4th +1%
5th 0%

The response is set at 3 3 3 3 3

Last edited by SC300T; 10-25-01 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Could it be.....Turbo?!