Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1996 1jz swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 11:28 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
you HAVE to use the 1jz ecu with the 1jz, there are simply too many differences between the lexus ecu and the 1jz ecu to be able to make it work realistically...

you guys need to find someone willing to "help out" on your smog inspections... any inspection can be gotten around...
well that clears it up with the 1jz used, its up to the tail pipe sniffer. If there was a us spec 1jz-gte, then we'd be in business. This help me, I was going to get a 96+ sc300 so I can pass emissions with a codless car, but with a swap ecu that would be pointless.
also, emissions law says that you cannot replace a motor with a motor from an older car...

we'll thats good to know as well. Maybe not emissions place check to verify that information, but who would want to take the risk.
Old 12-16-06, 11:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MDeezy
well that clears it up with the 1jz used, its up to the tail pipe sniffer. If there was a us spec 1jz-gte, then we'd be in business. This help me, I was going to get a 96+ sc300 so I can pass emissions with a codless car, but with a swap ecu that would be pointless.

we'll thats good to know as well. Maybe not emissions place check to verify that information, but who would want to take the risk.
correct, things can go both ways with emissions...

obd1 - just up to the tail pipe sniffer to pass, no matter what car... the tech should also do a visual inspection to ensure all vacuum lines are in correct position, EGR has not been bypassed, and that the gas cap is present and sealing, check engine light has no effect on emissions

obd2 - entirely up to the computer, if the computer reports all systems are ready, and no check engine light is on (and it has to work too), then all is good...

benefits of obd1 - you can get away with a lot, so long as the car runs clean, some techs may "look the other way" with motor swaps and such, so long as the car runs cleanly

benefit of obd2 - if the stock ECU is in place, and the check engine light works, but is off, then you pass...

I am not a smog tech, however I work at a location that does smog testing, I can help with any questions you might have...
Old 12-16-06, 11:45 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

I am not a smog tech, however I work at a location that does smog testing, I can help with any questions you might have...

for odb 1 cars how do the perform the test? I know the car goes on the rollers, do they test in a specific gear? up to a certain rpms?

with this information, adjustments could be made so that the car can pass emissions. lean out the af a little, stock cat in place, etc. . .
Old 12-16-06, 12:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

for odb 1 cars how do the perform the test? I know the car goes on the rollers, do they test in a specific gear? up to a certain rpms?

with this information, adjustments could be made so that the car can pass emissions. lean out the af a little, stock cat in place, etc. . .
ooh, your emissions are a little more than ours here in Nevada then... obd1, you get two tests, both no load, one at idle (750 rpm +/- 250), and one at 2500 rpm +/-250... Basically, so long as Hydrocarbons and CO% is within specs, you are good... It's something that just leaning the car out won't always fix...

my stock 93 passed well before the car was even warmed up, catalysts always work better when hot, and one other point of information that I knew nothing about until recently, but catalytic converters require oxygen to work properly, which is why many older cars had "smog pumps" - it wasn't to dilute the exhaust, it was to get the cat hotter so it would work better...

Highly modded cars have passed so long as they at least have a high flow cat, and a proper a/f mixture... with a high flow cat, and a decent running car, you should pass no problems... idle actually is harder to pass many times because a cars engine is designed to run at higher than idle rpm 90% of the time, so it's more efficient, usually around 2500-3000 rpm
Old 12-16-06, 12:54 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

I see.

What mods do you have or did you have when you passed emissions?

I'm picturing say the sc300 with the 1jz and a single turbo, with a decent tune. From what I gather with the cat in place, fuel adjustments needed to prevent high gas levels, as fully warming the car can aid in passing the emission.
Old 12-16-06, 01:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I see.

What mods do you have or did you have when you passed emissions?

I'm picturing say the sc300 with the 1jz and a single turbo, with a decent tune. From what I gather with the cat in place, fuel adjustments needed to prevent high gas levels, as fully warming the car can aid in passing the emission.
my sc has always been stock as a rock under the hood, however other cars have had big turbos, fuel systems, and such and so long as a high flow cat is in place, it'll pass, so long as it's tuned well...
Old 12-16-06, 02:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

but then again there is no way in hell to pass the OBD2 emission test with the 1JZ swap right.
Old 12-16-06, 03:13 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
but then again there is no way in hell to pass the OBD2 emission test with the 1JZ swap right.
unless they build a obd2 compatible ecu for the 1jz, but I don't think so...
Old 12-16-06, 03:27 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

sorry for being slightly off topic

but would putting a 2jz-gte in your car have this same problem, most of them come from japan, but the 2jz-gte came in all the supra TT's so im wondering if they would not be able to pass emissions or what

i think its harder to put the 2jz in too bc u have to cut the front clip of the car to put in as opposed to the 1jz u dont...

SO IVE HEARD
Old 12-16-06, 03:31 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
sorry for being slightly off topic

but would putting a 2jz-gte in your car have this same problem, most of them come from japan, but the 2jz-gte came in all the supra TT's so im wondering if they would not be able to pass emissions or what

i think its harder to put the 2jz in too bc u have to cut the front clip of the car to put in as opposed to the 1jz u dont...

SO IVE HEARD
1 and 2 jz are almost identical on the outside... there should be no physical differences mounting them...

the 2jz would pass obd2, so long as you have an obd2 ecu from a 97+ us spec Supra...
Old 12-16-06, 03:47 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

so would i have to get a 97+ 2jz-gte

or can i get an older one and get a 97+ ecu for it?
Old 12-16-06, 08:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

if you do that then you will need to get the OBD2 wiring harness from the US supra also.
Old 12-17-06, 08:43 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

OK say i Buy a 94 JDM Aristo 2JZGTE from japan, put USDM spec turbos, cams, injectors ect and the USDM harness and ECU from a 97 OBD supra, will that pass the OBD2 plug in emissions?
Old 12-17-06, 08:46 AM
MDeezy
Rookie

as long as the ecu is a US spec odb2. it will be able to read the ecu. Make sure you're codeless and your good to go.

the key thing is to have a odb2 ecu, I dont think odb2 exists outside the US, but as long as you have an odb2 ecu even if it was from a 350z, as long as you can drive the car and its codeless, you'll pass.

Looks like for 96+ Sc's if they want to swap they will have to do the 2jz, or know someone who will pass them with a 1jz/
Old 12-17-06, 09:35 AM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it wasnt for emissions id have a 1jz in my 97 SC already. Only way around emissions is 96+ 2JZ-GTE swap with ecu or NA-T.

Quick Reply: 1996 1jz swap