Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Washed my engin then....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 09:48 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dondons_sc
Every thing went down hill from there. I went home to get ready for work and came back out to start my car and while idleing it was vibrating and felt like it lost power. When I accelerate its reluctant to pick up speed. Now I checked my distributer for water in it as see in another thread but want to know how do I check the igniter for water or is there something else being over looked? can anyone help me please?
this happened to me when a body shop washed the engine bay. They spend a day on it and all they needed to do was replace two spark plug wires. So before you take off your TB check your wires.
Old 11-18-06, 11:14 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default "Things not to do to your Lexus"

There should be a sticky about "Things not to do to your Lexus" and put this right near the top of the list. There are horror stories all over CL on this very topic.

Those who spray there engine bay with water risk screwing things up. Paper towel, degreaser, wipe.
Old 11-19-06, 05:14 AM
dondons_sc
Rookie

Default I Washed My Engin Then....*update*

Me and my friend who is a mechanic for nissan went to go try to work on it, but we could not find any water any where so we did what we could do just to get my car home we jumped the starter with needle nose pliers and got it to start just to get it home. Before I was driving the car I noticed the the time and mileage would not display with me being in park. When I put it in reverse and drive the display lights up. I swear if I ever get through this I will never wash my engin with water again. Does anyone have more info to offer on this matter your help is appreciated.
Old 11-21-06, 07:49 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

The best way would be to pull the plugs and then turn the engine over for a few minutes. The pistons will shoot all the water out of the holes for you
Old 11-22-06, 09:13 AM
dondons_sc
Rookie

Fixed it! Thanks guys I used the old chop stick technique. I removed the first two plug covers then took an old tshirt and shoved it down with the chop stick dried the water out of both than put the cover back on than started it up. I wont be using water to clean my engin again.A rag and degreaser next time. Thanks!
Old 11-22-06, 10:11 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you use the search button you'll see there are many of such posts. Leave the car running and never spray directly on the motor.

Chris
Old 11-23-06, 07:47 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

um, we steam clean engines at my work all the time.... never once had a problem... however, we do have people that have problems doing it themselves...

there are keys to doing it... first off you want to tape up or bag anything that is really sensitive to water (distributors, intakes, etc), then clean the engine, then go through all electrical connections and spray them with electrical cleaner that displaces water...

again, done right, there are no problems...
Old 01-25-08, 02:12 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK seriously Sticky this to sc forums

There should be a sticky about "Things not to do to your Lexus" and put this right near the top of the list. There are horror stories all over CL on this very topic.

Those who spray there engine bay with water risk screwing things up. Paper towel, degreaser, wipe.

I was embarrassed of how my engine bay looked on the synchronic BOV thread so I sprayed degreaser and hosed down my engine. Came out nice but what a PITA getting the car running right was afterwards. I searched and found this thread. This should be stikied.
Old 01-25-08, 03:42 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

i`ve used that dust off stuff, compressed air in a car for cleaning keyboards,computers,ect. if you dont have a compressor this works great.....also use it for detailing, cleaning dust out of the vents,cracks and creavises....
Old 01-25-08, 08:23 AM
Kruso
Driver

Way to bring an old thread back to life. I pressure wash my engine bay all the time w/o any issues. As Powerjunky pointed out, you have to hose it down with compressed air and works like a charm everytime.

Kruso
Old 01-25-08, 09:08 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a sc400 right? my dad had the same problem after engine wash, apparently the water got into the engine. not good.
Old 01-26-08, 11:18 AM
DKNY0331
Driver

Oh wow, hah reminds me the time i washed my engine last summer... It sucks Soooo Bad.. i thought it was just a little water here and there so i let it sit open hood for 3hrs came back to it and still same problem ran like ****.. Missfireing or not firing at all stalling... Its all because of those stupid timing cover and sprak plug covers.... water rushes underneath the intake plenum .... i remember taking those off and shoving a very absobent rag that was thin and took me over and hr trying to suck up all the water from each spark plug hole.. i swear there must of been like 4 cups of water underneath of those covers.. have fun drying it up.
Old 01-26-08, 09:15 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with powerjunky, I wrap everything up and pressure wash it, no problems yet
Old 01-26-08, 10:49 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

humm where exactly does the water enter?
Old 01-26-08, 11:58 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kruso
Way to bring an old thread back to life. I pressure wash my engine bay all the time w/o any issues. As Powerjunky pointed out, you have to hose it down with compressed air and works like a charm everytime.
Originally Posted by ihiryu
I'm with powerjunky, I wrap everything up and pressure wash it, no problems yet
You're the lucky ones. Why risk it, here's the all to common downside:

a warning to all sc300 owners!!!

Washed my engin then....

My buddy sprayed off his SC's motor and now its misfiring. Cause?

power washed engine and now missing on 4 cyl's

SC300 engine idles strange

help! engine shuttering

Help!!! My SC might be damaged!!!

for the second time in a row, I washed my engine

Water in Intake Manifold Spark Plugs

Bad Engine Skip

Last edited by SCoupe; 01-27-08 at 12:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Washed my engin then....