Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Odd issue with my manual transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 09:35 PM
Mr.Drury
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd issue with my manual transmission...

Hi all, first off, thanks for taking a look at the posting.

Second, here is my question/scenario. I have a 92 SC300 5spd 164,XXX miles (third owner), shifting gears is fine for the first twenty or so minutes of driving, but after taking it on the highway or driving around town for a long time, it becomes insanly difficult to put it into any gear once I come to a complete stop, the only way to counteract this is by putting it into gear as I come to a stop, example I put it into first at the very last moment at 2 or 3 mph, using this method, it slips right in, the only problem is that I have to keep my foot on the clutch and keep it in first gear the entire time I sit at a light or play with stop and go traffic. When I try to engage a gear at a complete stop, it feels as though the shift gate/pattern is being blocked off except for the ability to move side to side in neutral. I've check the fluid level, it's all good, but I am assuming that it just needs a new clutch, does this sound like the symptom of a dying/worn clutch?

If this isn't an odd problem and it a common problem, then my post title sucks

Thanks again,

PS I tried every search with the word clutch or transmission, but nothing similar came about.
Old 12-01-06, 12:02 AM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Check for a leaky slave cyl on the trans. Check for a leaky clutch master leaking by the pedal. Make sure the fluid is clear and not dirty. Possibly you may need to adjust the clutch pedal.
Old 12-01-06, 07:55 AM
Mr.Drury
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I'll do that this weekend or after work today if there is any light outside. Stupid me I thought that we had a self adjusting clutch. I know that the fluid level is fine, but as for it's purity/clarity, that may be another issue.

Thanks again