Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 10:07 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Your 455 vette is pure sick man-- I'd love to borrow it for a weekend or two..
when ever your in Long Island NY shoot me a message well take it for a spin!
Old 12-01-06, 10:11 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe one day I'll make that 25 hr trip again--
Old 12-02-06, 09:05 AM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

Maybe one day I'll make that 25 hr trip again--
lol ~ROAD TRIP~ cant wait for summer again ! south beach here i come !
Old 12-02-06, 10:51 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

400 hp 4.0 liter v8 that loves to rev--

Your torque is higher than hp with NOS isnt it??

Nice 60 ft. kill

I agree about beating fancy new $80,000+ sports cars--

When I picked up the SC in Dallas, I drove a 96 Firebird with a built motor that ran 12.03's on slicks no spray-- Built tranny-- 460le with a shift kit-- Flashed ecu, all that good stuff-- $3400 , perfect body-- but the guy had changed the cluster out with a lower mileage one from the car he said he got the motor and trans from-- sounded kinda fishy so I passed-- plus he was telling me how easy it would be to fix the inoperable headlight by stealing a replacement actuator from the junkyard-- I held my wallet close after that statement....

We ran up on several new 911 Turbo's on the interstate, as well as an Aston Marton DB9--

Needless to say, I wished for at least a day or two that I had got the firebird... Only downside to it was, it was PURPLE--

So, I got an SC with 153k miles because it ran good-- really good, and had had a recent timing belt......

Yeah the torque numbers are pretty sick with nos, dyno'd at 300whp and 400 torque under the juice..The dyno guy even said you have sick torque...So yes I got some good torque going on which makes for great 1rst and 2nd gear speeds in my SC4......There is let off in third which sucks.. Torque converter has alot to do with both too.....Wish I had a turbo to kick in with the nos in third gear and it would be over....

The more I think about it, that old LX 5.0 mustang that worked me probably had a stroked motor or something...Because I spank all the older Mustang's on a regular basis....

Yeah those Firebirds can move when modified, I have seen one a few years back and it was fast and ******....
Old 12-02-06, 11:03 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

He he-- I was just putting around during the test drive getting a good idea of smoothness and driveability, and the guy said "you can push the gas man", so I did, and that freakin shift kit went through two gears and lit the tires quicker than you could think about it-- at 45 mph or so-- it just squatted and jumped--

It's crazy how cheap you can make one of those fast for-- too bad the interior falls apart in 2 years-- Everything was loose and rattly--

Fastest car I've ever been in, including a Viper RT/10 and a Diablo VT.......

It made me sick as I was running up on porsches and vettes......

Those are real good dyno numbers man-- I wonder exactly why a high stall T/C makes you lose on topend??? It seems to me it would work the same way in every gear, as the final speed of the t/c doesn't change from gear to gear--

It seems to me that it should have the same operation characteristics due to rpm and not gear or speed-- ????
Old 12-02-06, 04:04 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

mjhsc400,
i know what you are saying, it would be nice to see some more people explore the potential of the 1uz in n/a form. There are a couple of turbo sc400's out there, but thus far all very problematic. You mention you could get aftermarket and reground cams rev the thing to 8k and etc., but this all get's real expensive.
Here are some numbers from the site which you have reffered too:
Eight Throttle Body Manifolds x 2(Fully Machined) $ 1,000.00
Toyota Throttle Body's x 8 (Modified) $ 700.00
Valve Springs POA
Ram Tubes x 8 (Max height 90mm) $ 500.00
Throttle Linkage Setup $ 300.00
Flywheel (Steel) $ 500.00
Clutch Setup $ 750.00
Bell housing's (W Series to 1UZ V8) $ 690.00
Link Computer-Engine Management System POA
Cam Options POA
Uni Filters x 8 $ 290.00

Now that's in austrailian dollars so it is cheaper in u.s. money. Now you need all that minumum, plus a w58 or r154. I'm saying a manual swap is required and preferred because big cams in a little motor in a big car= disaster with an auto and who would want it anyway. Now to get those revs you must go stand-alone the stock ecu has a rev-limit of 6500rpm. So in brief,
ITB's around, 2,000
Manual swap, 1500 min. probably more
Cams regrinds, from $600 plus $150 of shims to $2,000 for kelford's billet cams
Headers, Tex headers $600+shipping from aus.
Exhaust, depends what you do.
Stand alone, say 2,000 on the low side for a cheap one and install and tuning

So basically if you dyno what the car in the site did with all this 330rwhp, this equates to about 380hp. You will have to spend more than the value of an early sc to get a 380 3600lbs+ car. To spend this kind of money on a 10 year old, 100,000+ mile car, i think you'd have to be loaded, and you'd most likely modify a newer, faster vehicle. So that's why we don't see it, but it would be cool if someone did. The ls1 will make about 460hp crank with headers, a cam, and tune of the stock ecu (programable unlike the lexus), and with a conversion and i bet the cost would be similiar to hopping up the 1uz. Most of the people that hop up the 1uz's are Aussie and they are all transplants into lighter cars where it makes more sense. I could definately imagine a 380hp 1uz in my 77 celica, now that would be fun.
Old 12-02-06, 05:01 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The LS1 is the far cheaper swap and would be wicked with a camaro 6 spd.. Definitely the BEST bang for the buck....

Good information-- The Tex's are acutally about $550 shipped US dollars-- The carbureutors and parts are all quite expensive, as are the trumpets-- on and on-- what you get is a motor worth $1500 more.... But anyway-- The cost of a Ferrari is higher, as is maintaining one, I still think we'll come out on top-- PLUS- I'm an engineering major and can do most of the work myself no problem-- [a little auto experience under the belt]

Haltech's are $1300, and I'm not sure how you could drive the auto tranny with a standalone unit, so it seems the manual is the best option-- But standalone isn't 100% necessary, and a valve body mod with a higher stall t/c can compensate for the auto tranny power handling and performance....

I would absolutely love to do a manual swap, but a t/c and a valve body are 1/3 the price and really effective with an LSD-- A piggyback can cut the rev limiter, and spinning the motor to 7500 is plenty of rpm's and will be driveable with a reground exhaust cam-- plus the 4.10 lsd and t/c -- It would be one wicked mother-- ESPECIALLY a VVTi motor--

There are some aftermarket controller's capable of running the VVTi system as well and are definitely worth exploring--

This IS300 1UZ swap shows that it is possible, and is one of the best reads I've come across.....

That throws a couple more fish in the bucket in my opinion......
Old 12-02-06, 05:37 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

i agree with everything you just like the torque converter and valve body for limited budget except one thing: i don't beleive a piggyback can change the rev limiter, they can only alter fuel and timing signals, you can check with others on this, but i am pretty dang sure. The good thing is though the dyno you posted was only shy of 10rwhp of its max at 6500, so with a mild duration you might be ok.
Old 12-02-06, 05:51 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

If you are really going to go for n/a sc400 performance (which would be cool to see) lextreme.com is just about to release performance reground cams and shim package and shim changing tool all for very reasonable prices compared to new billiets. Or, you could contact one of these or other cam regrinding companies and they could help with your specs to come up with a custom grind. With the tc, maybe valve body, headers, exhaust, and s-afc for fuel i think this would be a fun more affordable package. As far as numbers, no telling, but alot better than they were. Then if you wanted more you could always go for head porting and maybe a ported or extrude honed intake manifold. Then if you really need to squeeze abit more out there are those 10.4 pistons from the 95-97 ls400, 96-97 sc400.

http://coltcams.com/index.html
http://www.webcamshafts.com/
http://www.elgincams.com/
Old 12-02-06, 07:30 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Nice info there-- I'm thinking I may go for the underdog and do the lextreme t/c rebuild to a 2800 stall-- their cams would be interesting too----

An emanage ultimate can send a signal clamp to the ecu and rev to 8,000 rpms before fuel cut--

I'd rather use a haltech standalone, but no transmission control, if it were manual there would be no question about the haltech for $1300--

The next thing up is a motech for about $3000, and that's out of the question...

You hit the nail on the head for me-- more fun is all I'm looking for.... Just an honest NA 315 hp at the crank-- with a good sound and a strong tranny -- This should not only be reliable but pretty potent with an Auto TT Supra lsd swap--

60 should come in the high 5's hopefully--

With the higher rev limit, top speed wont be a problem--

Who needs to do 160 mph in a road car anyway-- that puts a tremendous load on your engine squeezing those last few mph out of your car and it's not necessary and very dangerous without a cage, 5 point, and a firesuit/helmet..

I just want it to be a hell of a surprise to anybody that shrugs it off at a redlight or on the open highway---

They'll look twice before they race you again..

It's fun to shred the ricers up with some european N/A muscle--

OR an LS1 for that matter....

I think it's right up there with any european motor.....

I wonder how much one would cost you with a tranny and a standalone??

With all this money we're talking about spending it's interesting.
Old 12-02-06, 08:14 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

this post has lots of info for the UZ. it is pretty impressive.
Old 12-02-06, 08:23 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry man-- this is an LS1 thread-- At least no flames yet... I type fast so my posts end up being long..... Large vocabulary, gets you in trouble...
Old 12-02-06, 08:24 PM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

A LS1 with a remoted mounted turbo has great results.

I am good buddys with the CEO of STS turbos so i might be doing a system from him...

LS1 Camaro/Firebird

Performance Results

Boost: 5 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 414
%'d increase: 30%

Rear Wheel Torque: 450
%'d increase: 35%

Boost: 8 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 508
%'d increase: 59%

Rear Wheel Torque: 548
%'d increase: 64%

1/4 mile time reduction: ~1 second

Old 12-02-06, 09:15 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Wow.. That looks like a drag only setup to me, but nonetheless fast. As long as that boost pipe is you probably don't even need an intercooler.. The aluminum pipe itself sheds heat after 8 feet of distance. I'd like to see the math that proves the temp drop on that much pipe. That's a lot of surface area..

I really wish I would've gotten that firebird that runs 12:03's...

Maybe I'll like the lex more once I get her painted and rebuilt to good driving condition-- It's just taking up a parking space right now..

I think a stock LS1 with a T56 is more than enough for a daily driver..

Put a 3:91 back there and see what 1/4 it'll run....
Old 12-03-06, 10:28 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

I am installing the Lex cams into my 1uz-fe motor next weekend...I expect to see maybe 20whp gains or so at the higher rpms...I will be the first to try the lextreme cams and will have before and after dyno results which we will post..... It's also nice to know that you can just throw the cams in and go, no tuning necessary...Should be a decent N/A mod for the 1uz-fe...

Someone asked why does the torque converter upgrade takes away from the topend power?...Well torque is not just created with a torque converter the stall rate is changed and the torque is transferred from topend to lowend more or less...The stock Lexus SC400 converters provide the car with decent freeway getty up with the ECT button on, but from a dead stop that same car struggles to launch at full throttle...With an upgraded torque converter the rear or rears will bust loose at full throttle from a dead stop but you will loose probably about %20 of your topend power in the higher gears, third gear and on.....For me when I Re-worked my rear exhaust section and replaced my main center cat I gained back all that was lost at topend from the TC upgrade...It's a give and a take with the torque converter's...However, The Pro's far exceed the cons with an upgraded torque converters for our SC's...I highly recommend the torque converter mod before you do anything else..Changes the whole feel of the car....

Hey WD, what up bud? You were the one who opened up my eyes to this LS1swap a while back on the Lextreme.com forum.....I remember you saying check the LS1 engines, and with just with a set of cams, Piggy ecu, and some decent exhaust mods you can achieve 400whp of N/A power..

Quick Reply: LS1 ? In a SC400/300 has it been done ?