Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06 | 08:54 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shlounek
6 puck would be really harsh on your leg and the W58 and not to mention annoying everytime you want to start from a standstill,
I'm hoping you're referring to unsprung 6 puck. I was suckered into buying the rps sprung 6 puck clutch disc from rps when my street disc (full face unsprung) failed. The sprung 6 puck is very daily driver friendly and does not chatter and is easily slippable from a stop. It's just a little less engagement distance on the pedal compared to the full face rps "street disc". So there you go.. a good SPRUNG 6 puck clutch disc is perfectly fine for daily driving.

Just get some other reputable brand besides RPS, 2 buddies of mine with the same RPS sprung 6 pucks clutch discs experienced it slipping on them at underrated power levels (still under "rps warrantee") and waddya know RPS does not honor their clutch disc warranty ...

RPS clutch discs have been proven to me to be overpriced junk and if you want to understand Crankwalk, ask the Getrag trans users about RPS pressure plates . I don't know what to recommend you since I only have first-hand experience with RPS clutches . I'm not sure how daily driving friendly a Clutchmasters stage 4 would be, but a lot of folks I trust had very good success and consistency with this clutch package...and they actually honor their warranties apparently. hope this helps
Old 12-03-06 | 09:39 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

I know the 6-speed guys like rps, but on the w58 I've read a lot of people have had problems. The only problem i have with the rps max kit is the oem organic disc! I asked the guy at MVP motorsports about the 6 puck, but he said when he drove with one, it was too harsh for daily driving. Well I'll put up the link and just let me know which one you guys would go with, besides the ACT.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...929&SearchYN=N
Old 12-03-06 | 10:00 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SCguy58
I know the 6-speed guys like rps, but on the w58 I've read a lot of people have had problems. The only problem i have with the rps max kit is the oem organic disc! I asked the guy at MVP motorsports about the 6 puck, but he said when he drove with one, it was too harsh for daily driving. Well I'll put up the link and just let me know which one you guys would go with, besides the ACT.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...929&SearchYN=N
If the guy from MVP said the RPS 6 puck sprung is too harsh for daily driving, then HE IS DOES NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE Fwiw, those high pressure RPS pressure plates have been proven to cause crankwalk and make that thing back out on the getrag 6 speeds over time. Ask any knowledgeable supra mechanic who's had experience with it .
Old 12-03-06 | 10:40 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

So which SPEC should I go with?
Old 12-04-06 | 12:50 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

So which SPEC should I go with?
You never said what RWHP you plan on, makes a huge difference as well as are you keeping your w58?
Old 12-04-06 | 12:53 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Well I plan on going with a Dave H kit with the w58. I would like to be in the mid 300tq range.
Old 12-07-06 | 11:39 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Well I decided to go with the RPS Max PP and street clutch with a fidanza flywheel. I talked to Kevin at MVP motorsports and he said that all the guys at MVP use RPS clutches on their supra na's and tt's. He gave me his word that if I experienced any problems with the clutch he deal with RPS. If anything goes wrong with this clutch I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-08-06 | 06:47 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Go with the Centerforce dual friction. Feels the exact same as my stock clutch and holds around 550 ft/lbs tq. I love it. Whenever it goes out far down the road, I will get the same exact one. A couple of my other friends with sc300's have it and love it too.
Old 12-08-06 | 06:56 AM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch.

Part number: DF522018

Feels stock and holds like oh i dunno almost 600 in torque.

Go figure John, Shane, Omari, and CleanSC (Jose) are or have run it before moving to a six speed and we love it. Hell I love mine. Hit me up on pm if you have any questions.
Old 12-08-06 | 09:37 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Wish you guys would have replied earlier, I probably would have gone the centerforce route. Anyways, got my RPS in today and the first thing I checked was if the disc said ASCO, but it did not. The only thing that I did not receive yet was my fidanza flywheel MVP said that Findanza had it on back order and did not send it out till today and I wont be getting it until wednesday. So my car will be sitting in a shopping center parking lot, at the shop, unwatched until that flywheel gets in
Old 12-08-06 | 10:16 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wish you guys would have replied earlier, I probably would have gone the centerforce route. Anyways, got my RPS in today and the first thing I checked was if the disc said ASCO, but it did not. The only thing that I did not receive yet was my fidanza flywheel MVP said that Findanza had it on back order and did not send it out till today and I wont be getting it until wednesday. So my car will be sitting in a shopping center parking lot, at the shop, unwatched until that flywheel gets in
Take a picture of your clutch disc so we can confirm. My "rps street" clutch disc was made by ASCO:

Old 12-08-06 | 10:42 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

The disc says AISIN. Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations-pets-047.jpg  
Old 12-08-06 | 10:56 PM
nasc300
Lead Lap

Best NA-T clutch would be the Spec stage 3+ "superclamp" part# STS853F.

565 FT LBS for the stage 3+ "superclamp"
It has a full face sprung disc and holds almost as much torque as the stage 5 with a solid 6 puck disc.

589 FT LBS for the stage 5
The superclamp version of the 3+ is not even listed on Spec's site but they do have them. It cost $100 more than the standard 3+ but when purchased directly from Spec you get a 15% discount.The street disc from RPS is just a stock replacement disc.

Last edited by nasc300; 12-09-06 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-08-06 | 11:00 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Can anyone explain why dejacky and my rps discs are different?
Old 12-09-06 | 02:26 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Can anyone explain why dejacky and my rps discs are different?
AISIN is another toyota OEM manufacturer. For example, AISIN makes the oem oil pump on the supra MKIII engines. All RPS is doing is buying OEM made clutch discs and relabeling them as their own. You of course pay for the name change . For example, if you go to www.carjunky.com, and select a clutch replacement disc for the lexus sc300, it will list ASCO and AISIN as the same clutch disc since they're the same oem spec.

I'm sorry to hear you went with the RPS clutch, but if it's not to late to change your order, change it to what some other trusted forum members have recommended. My RPS sprung 6 puck clutch disc w/ RPS MAX pressure plate is running great so far and since MVP is on your side, don't worry about your RPS clutch too much. Just make sure the clutch is installed and broken in properly.

Clutch break-in is best done via stop-and-go driving. I recommend you break the clutch in for the first 800 miles before really getting on it. Try not to exceed 3,000rpms.

1) Have machine shop resurface your flywheel
2) Use the oem toyota clutch alignment tool to align the clutch disc with the center hole.
3) Use NEW flywheel bolts and NEW pressure plate bolts
4) Use new pilot bearing and throwout bushing (aka release bearing)
5) Use the exact Toyota service manual method for tightening the flywheel bolts. (unique 90 degree turns & torque specs)
6) Grease the areas on release fork as mentioned in the Service Manual so your clutch doesn't sqeak!

Last edited by dejacky; 12-09-06 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations