Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 07:28 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations

What clutch kits and flywheels do you guys recommend? I am thinking of going with the SPEC stage 3 with a 6 puck, so later I would not have to change it when I go turbo. Does anyone have any experience with this clutch kit? I'm not too sure what flywheel to go with, so any info would be great.
Old 12-01-06, 08:41 AM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

FWIW...We use the Spec clutches a lot on the 3SGTE in MR2 builds. We've been very happy with them thus far. Also, they make a great flywheel.

I don't know what your power goals when you go turbo, but the W58 doesn't like much power being run through it.
Old 12-01-06, 08:51 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 puck would be really harsh on your leg and the W58 and not to mention annoying everytime you want to start from a standstill,

I would go with remanufacturing your OEM clutch to a KEVLAR composite, this material is amazing I did mine for 225.00 with a new throw out bearing and they will re-surface your flywheel also.
Attached Thumbnails Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations-picture-012.jpg  
Old 12-01-06, 09:11 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Ya I've heard that the mr2 guys love the SPEC clutches. Since the 6 puck would be too harsh on my tranny, should I go with the SPEC stage 2+:

STAGE 2+ - For all modified engines making more torque than the stage 2 can support. Maintains stage 2 feel for good daily drivability and offers very good wear characteristics, but provides a higher torque capacity. High clamp pressure plate, composite multi-friction carbon-kevlar material, high torque sprung hub and disc assembly, bearing and tool kit.
Torque Rating: 340 ft/lbs.

As for the SPEC flywheel, there has not been a lot of posts about flywheels. I've read that one guy had to redrill something on the flywheel. I would like to know are flywheels pretty much the same throughout all brands?
Old 12-01-06, 02:54 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Stage 2 is an ideal choice in my point of view, 6 puck grips like M*&^*& but with the power our cars can make and the fact that many of us have no LSD's, there is no actual use for 6 puck since we have enough issues keeping traction.
Old 12-01-06, 06:28 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I'm happy to see you all suggesting options that are NOT RPS clutches. I highly do not recommend RPS clutches, so anything else that is reputable will set you fine .
Old 12-01-06, 10:16 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dejacky
I'm happy to see you all suggesting options that are NOT RPS clutches. I highly do not recommend RPS clutches, so anything else that is reputable will set you fine .
Well I called MVP motorsports and the one guy that deals with the lexus and supras recommended the RPS Max PP and the Street disc. He stated that he has had complaints about the SPEC clutches and that a lot of people like the RPS. I then told him that I have read on the forums that a hand full of people do not trust the RPS because they are know to not hold up to what they state. He then said that it was because those people went with the street pp instead of the Max PP. I went ahead and ordered the RPS Max PP with the street disc, but they will not be shipping it till monday or tuesday. Should I change my order? Also he stated that if I had any problems with the clutch, just let him know and he will deal with RPS.
Old 12-01-06, 10:47 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

I also ordered the Fidanza flywheel.
Old 12-02-06, 12:24 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SCguy58
Well I called MVP motorsports and the one guy that deals with the lexus and supras recommended the RPS Max PP and the Street disc. He stated that he has had complaints about the SPEC clutches and that a lot of people like the RPS. I then told him that I have read on the forums that a hand full of people do not trust the RPS because they are know to not hold up to what they state. He then said that it was because those people went with the street pp instead of the Max PP. I went ahead and ordered the RPS Max PP with the street disc, but they will not be shipping it till monday or tuesday. Should I change my order? Also he stated that if I had any problems with the clutch, just let him know and he will deal with RPS.
http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041

RPS does not warrantee their clutch disks period. MANY people have had problems with the RPS Max Pressure Plate and full face ASCO relabeled "street disc." The clutch disc wears out prematurely and their clutches IMHO are overpriced junk.

If or when you do have clutch problems with the RPS, maybe MVP will take care of you better than HorsePowerfreaks did with me. (all HPF did was refer me to rps and i got screwed over in the end)
Old 12-02-06, 12:38 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

MVP said that RPS will only warranty authorized dealers. The guy told me that they have a 180 day warranty, better than nothing I guess. When I asked him about RPS being Asco parts, he said he was not sure and he's pretty sure RPS is their own company. From reading, it seems that every clutch kit has it's ups and downs. It also sucks that I have to purchase the bearings separate for the RPS kit. Well like I said, I have till monday to change my mind.
Old 12-02-06, 01:39 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

If you click the clubna-t link I posted, read the thread, and look at the pictures, you can CLEARLY see the "rps street disc" that you pay ~$150 is a relabled ASCO clutch disc ($80) with rubber inserts instead of springs. It is not their own clutch. I highly do not recommend RPS clutches, but it's your decision regarding what you purchase.
Old 12-02-06, 01:43 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dejacky
If you click the clubna-t link I posted, read the thread, and look at the pictures, you can CLEARLY see the "rps street disc" that you pay ~$150 is a relabled ASCO clutch disc ($80) with rubber inserts instead of springs. It is not their own clutch. I highly do not recommend RPS clutches, but it's your decision regarding what you purchase.
I've read that thread a couple of times and that's why I asked the guy about the RPS and ASCO. What clutch would you recommend because I can't find a majority of people who recommend a certain clutch.
Old 12-03-06, 11:00 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shlounek
6 puck would be really harsh on your leg and the W58 and not to mention annoying everytime you want to start from a standstill,

I would go with remanufacturing your OEM clutch to a KEVLAR composite, this material is amazing I did mine for 225.00 with a new throw out bearing and they will re-surface your flywheel also.
Best advice in this thread if you are running a w58. My Kevlar/Kevlar is oem or better feel and is well up to the 410whp delivered through it. Think 500 crank hp. The monster clutches here are unnecessary sub 500 whp. Your w58 will go long before a Kevlar clutch.
Old 12-03-06, 06:45 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

So the SPEC stage 2+ would be the ideal clutch for me?
Old 12-03-06, 06:58 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCguy58
So the SPEC stage 2+ would be the ideal clutch for me?
The clutch you ordered will work great. MVP knows their stuff and they will take care of you if you have any issues. RPS is highly recommended by many supra owners for good reason. IMHO just about every aftermarket clutch you'll find for your car will work and last long if you don't abuse it. Although, i wouldn't buy such an inexpensive cluth unless you plan to drive like a granny for 20k miles.

aight peace

Last edited by Jarrett H; 12-03-06 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help on CLutch & Flywheel recommendations