Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Canadian SC400 needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-01, 07:32 PM
BriMcc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Canadian SC400 needs advice

Today I bought my first Lexus. a 1992 SC400. I need help on a couple of fronts? When I drove the car off the lot the air bag light was on, later the traction control and service engine light came on. They have stayed on. The dealer (broker) tells me it is probably the O2 senser and not to worry. Should I? Next my car has factory chrome wheels was this an expensive option? Thanks for the help..
Old 10-28-01, 08:59 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd first make sure that the airbag is still there!
But after that,I'd find a shop to read the "fault codes" that are stored in the computer in order to get a closer prognisis.
The wheels were popular,not sure what the cost was.
Do they have a "lemon law" in Canada? Since there's a potential safety issue,you may have some recourse.
Good luck,sounds like it'll be great car with a little attention.
Old 05-28-04, 06:14 PM
dean s
Driver

Default OXYGEN SENSORS!

HEY another canuck same car same probs. the track light is probably your o2 sensor you can find the intrnational ones through lordco about 110.00 each better than the 300+ at lexus just put mine in so we'll see how long the light stays out !! hopefully that is what it is.if your in the Van. area I have the o2 socket you can borrow save you about $35.00 anyhow. [and a lot of aggrivation ].
Dean S
Old 05-29-04, 11:51 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Hey,

Be very careful about your air bag light, it can also mean that someone tampered with your mileage. One time I was taking out my instrument cluster to change the lights and forgot to disconnect the battery terminals and it seems that when u disconnect the instrument cluster it trips the airbag code.

I had to get the airbag code reset. It cost around $110, waste of money. Check your mileage or your simply missing an airbag. But remeber the airbag lights do not tend to go on by themselves unless there has been foul play done.

Plus as a side note where do u live in Canada.

Ali
Old 05-29-04, 12:30 PM
dean s
Driver

ali I wouldn't be to suprised ,but with the owners manuals records I figure it cant be to far off.I've only had the car for about 7 months but I've been pretty damb happy with the purchase ! the light never came on for a month or two after ,seems to me that it would have showed up right away.but seems to me it came on after an emergency stop at Calgary LEXUS on a road trip at xmas when I blew a fuse to the cig. lighter trying to get a new radar detector to work.we damb near froze to death cuzz it affects the heater on the same fuse it turns out !!great time to find that out ,at minus 30 on the prairies. they pulled my heater modual and where trying to convince me that it might be the problem tell I finally insisted on talking to the mechanic..anyhow I'm in Vancouver how about your self.

Last edited by dean s; 05-29-04 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-29-04, 04:51 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Yeah if the fuse blew out that would set it off also, so most likely you will need a trip to your dealer. They will tell you some crap like we cannot guarantee that we can remove the airbag light. You tell them I dont care just reset the codes. They will be OK. So then they will come back and tell you that it was an airbag code tripped we have reset it. You tell them thank you and pay your money.

But becareful they might try to convince you to pay a diagnostic fee, but just insist on a reset. That should fix it. And if they are the cause of the problem, try to rememeber wether your mechanic disconnected the battery from teh car when he was doing any electrical work or if lexus did so.

I have a friends and an old gf in vancouver. Never seen it ironically but might come down next month. After I am done with some work on my car. Oh yeah i live in windsor ontario.

Tell me how it goes, if the reset resolves the problem.

Ali
Old 05-29-04, 05:59 PM
dean s
Driver

Thanx ALI I 'll probably end up doing the dealer trip if the next couple of trys of doing it myself don't pan out..hate dealing with those thieves.
later ;Dean