Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tuning options for na-t... lets discuss

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 07:54 PM
svtdubs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning options for na-t... lets discuss

what are the best tuning options for a daily driven auto na-t sc300?
figure all the basic mods, 3mm headgasket, arp bolts, injectors, pump, etc.

Best would be AEM, I know.

But what other options are there and what do you guys feel is the most cost efficient way to tune this combo?

please discuss.
Old 12-02-06, 08:06 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Split Second seems to be the best product with good reviews-- It can retard timing on a 3d map based on throttle input, and control closed loop operation, as well as of course controlling a/f mixture on a 3d map vs. throttle position....

I think it can control some parameters relative to boost pressure from the manifold as well....... As well as being able to work with a wideband sensor for real time control....

Seemed to have more incremental control for the money---

It also seems to be the best deal too--

The emanage ultimate could do all that but some complain about Greddy's quality and poor operation....

I found the split second when searching for a piggy back ecu to advance timing and control a/f mixture, but the split second only retards timing, no advance-- which won't work for what I want to do......
Old 12-03-06, 11:50 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

emanage is good and easy to use but a pain in the *** to install IMO i like the map ecu very easy all around and does good. or even an safc for a auto sc this is all you will need your not going to make to much power to really need timing control beyond base timing from turning the dizzy simply because of the fact that by the time you make enough power to need to control timing you will have already broken your auto tranny many times
Old 12-03-06, 11:53 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

For N/A tuning, the timing and fuel control combo can make the most power-- over just the fuel control-- Just to squeeze every last hidden hp under there out for wot.
Old 12-03-06, 12:06 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

very true but if you wanted to save money its not completely necessary. but yes you will make more power out of it
Old 12-03-06, 12:38 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your not looking to buy that th400 SC are you?! AEM is about the best you can get without going with the new motec or HKS. Grab a used aem for 1k and have SP tune the **** out of it.
Old 12-03-06, 12:42 PM
svtdubs
Lead Lap

im not talking about na, im talking about an na-t combo
Old 12-03-06, 01:11 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

well, at some point na-t will need the timing retarded even more than a factory turbo engine-- higher compression, but not until higher boost levels---

Which goes back to having some sort of timing control being beneficial
Old 12-03-06, 05:11 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

do it right once, and go aem. all the piggbacks are gahbage.
Old 12-03-06, 06:54 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

A standalone to my knowledge won't control the automatic without costing you $3500 for the unit........
Old 12-03-06, 06:59 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
A standalone to my knowledge won't control the automatic without costing you $3500 for the unit........
Old 12-03-06, 07:16 PM
svtdubs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jarrett H
Your not looking to buy that th400 SC are you?! AEM is about the best you can get without going with the new motec or HKS. Grab a used aem for 1k and have SP tune the **** out of it.
why is that car beat up or what? Id love to buy something like yours but I cant find one where the owner isnt trying to sell it for the price of a small home, lol.

I have a buddy who is selling a used AEM for an na car but its still on the car and its been like 4 months and im still waiting.

kinda off topic but its my thread so WTF.. how much do you value your car to be? I want to get into a stock GTE motor'd sc300 with a 6 speed swap. No big single, nothing, just a stock engine and trans. What can they be had for REASONABLY, not this $25-30,000 BS

I know of an APU one that went for $18k or so with a single sp73ho, just curious what you think. Also, if you know of any for sale, I cant find anything
Old 12-03-06, 07:24 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

SMT6 for $450-- Jibbby says it's good -- The software they use is cool too--

Here it is
Old 12-03-06, 07:55 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by SVTdubs
why is that car beat up or what? Id love to buy something like yours but I cant find one where the owner isnt trying to sell it for the price of a small home, lol.

I have a buddy who is selling a used AEM for an na car but its still on the car and its been like 4 months and im still waiting.

kinda off topic but its my thread so WTF.. how much do you value your car to be? I want to get into a stock GTE motor'd sc300 with a 6 speed swap. No big single, nothing, just a stock engine and trans. What can they be had for REASONABLY, not this $25-30,000 BS

I know of an APU one that went for $18k or so with a single sp73ho, just curious what you think. Also, if you know of any for sale, I cant find anything
My car was built by performance shops in cali (signal being one of them) and has the best hks stuff made on it. The parts alone add up to about 20k but you'll never get what you put into it. 20k seems to be about the value of my car even with all the stuff it has. The market seems like its taken a plunge for some reason. I was hours away from sending offers out, that black GTE T88 sc with the stock fuel and tranny was a great deal (13k), but i was feeling kinda iffy about the car. The th400 car is a great car but it could probably come down a couple thousand to be at a better price. He wasn't able to run 10s in that with 600hp and a th400 . I really liked that car though but i wouldn't be happy opening the hood and seeing that na-t . I don't think you'll find a gte 6 speed for under 16 even if it had stock everything. The r154 is a great substitute for the 6peed and if you get the new shifter linkage welded up yourself(machine shop, welding shop) you could have a 5spd that will hold the power with no prob for $800.

There was an RSP GTE sc for sell for like 19k in amazing condition and it was beautiful. It was a auto though, boost logic, the car sold the day it was posted . The only benefit of the 6speed imo is you can track the car around turns instead of only being a drag car, and it will keep holding power.

GTE if you plan to keep making power
Na-T if 600rwhp is ok for you

If you could get that th400 car for 14k that would be a steal and very sweet car.

Last edited by Jarrett H; 12-03-06 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 08:09 PM
svtdubs
Lead Lap

thats exactly what I was thinking. Id have no problem paying $16-18k for a well built gte, 6 speed sc300. The thing about it is the body most often has over 150k miles, so its more of a structural issue with me I guess...

Quick Reply: Tuning options for na-t... lets discuss