Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boom She Goes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 08:40 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Boom She Goes

Ok guys I l blew the motor! LOL! I was on my way to the Ravenwood vs. Smyrna State Championship Game. Well I was getting on 840 headed east and I gunned it real hard. Shortly after getting on 840 maybe about 300 yards miles i heard this ticking sound. So I slow down and it goes away. Now I remember on 840 that there was a lot of gravel and my tires being sticky thought they picked up some gravel. Well it suddenly stops so i was like woohoo lets go! Now 840 is a clear highway no cops hardly any traffic and its about 30 miles in length. It joins I65 to I24 and to I40 running perpendicular to all three. Surely enough I glance down and my speed reads 135 and that seems good my rpms look good and my temp gauge reads HOT!!! I shoot a glance to the boost gauge and it was at 20psi!!!! OOPS!!!! I was like oh ****! I slow down and step on the clutch the car shuts itself off. I pop the hood and steam and smoke every where. I can smell coolant. I grab my flashlight and start peeking around the hood and see that my coolant bypass mod with the hard rubber plugs failed right below the upper coolant port on the intake side of the head. Coolant was slowly pouring out now. So now i guess the ticking noise was coolant hitting hot stuff (i.e downpipe, exhaust and other ****). So then I start poking around and realize that the line going from the compressor to the wastegate was disconnected. Now i know everyone is gonna tell me you should have used zipties on your vacuum lines. I did but i forgot one the one on the compressor not the one on the wastegate. I let it cool off for about an hour. Pour coolant in the radiator and filled it up. I checked my oil and it seemed fine and not milky. I cranked it up and it took forever to start and smoke went everywhere and I could smell the heavy scent of coolant. So after some further diagnosis I came to the conclusion that I blew the headgasket. Secondly i also rained the oil through a coffee filter and realized that little pieces of gold metal came out. So there goes the bearings. So rebuild is in order and we will be back even stronger and harder! Pics coming soon.
Old 12-03-06, 08:49 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch the price you pay for power i guess. I hope you don't need a rebuild, but if you have the head off anyways.....

Shavings could be really bad for the head and the block.

Last edited by Jarrett H; 12-03-06 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-03-06, 08:57 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

damn that hurts...goodluck with the rebuild =)
Old 12-03-06, 09:25 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man and i look forward to the rebuild
Old 12-03-06, 09:42 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Use a thicker headgasket my friend...like a oem spec thickness supra TT headgasket. Make sure the coolant/oil holes are same diameter and not smaller than stock headgasket though.
Old 12-05-06, 08:20 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
Use a thicker headgasket my friend...like a oem spec thickness supra TT headgasket. Make sure the coolant/oil holes are same diameter and not smaller than stock headgasket though.
yeah yeah a stock TT headgasket goes on next
Old 12-05-06, 08:33 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

So you blew your head gasket on a boosted LS400 1uz-fe motor? Is that correct? What kind of whp were you laying down at the time? Do you know what caused this to happen?
Old 12-05-06, 10:14 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jibbby
So you blew your head gasket on a boosted LS400 1uz-fe motor? Is that correct? What kind of whp were you laying down at the time? Do you know what caused this to happen?
no, he was using a 2jz-ge engine with double stacked 2jz-ge headgaskets.
Old 12-05-06, 10:25 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
no, he was using a 2jz-ge engine with double stacked 2jz-ge headgaskets.
No wrong again. He was using a Sound Performance 3.0mm headgasket. I helped him with his turbo project. He was laying down around 340rwhp at 11lbs. The current boost was set at around 9lbs giving him I think it was 311rwhp.(Amir confirm these numbers). He had a boost spike and later he looked at his map ecu and it said that he had hit 29lbs! That's what blew his engine, I was with him, it sucked! But yeah I told him just to go with the stock TT headgakset, like I am running. Jibby get the V8 out of your head. When members talk about turbos and such like this it is 99% of the time the 2jzge. Only a select few member have turbocharged 1uzfe sc400's.
Old 12-06-06, 12:43 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laxdude362
No wrong again. He was using a Sound Performance 3.0mm headgasket. I helped him with his turbo project. He was laying down around 340rwhp at 11lbs. The current boost was set at around 9lbs giving him I think it was 311rwhp.(Amir confirm these numbers). He had a boost spike and later he looked at his map ecu and it said that he had hit 29lbs! That's what blew his engine, I was with him, it sucked! But yeah I told him just to go with the stock TT headgakset, like I am running. Jibby get the V8 out of your head. When members talk about turbos and such like this it is 99% of the time the 2jzge. Only a select few member have turbocharged 1uzfe sc400's.
oops, I confused him with soarerflame on clubna-t...but I think his name is Amir too . I remember soarerflame saying one his na-t car, he used double stacked 2jz-ge headgaskets?
Old 12-06-06, 01:33 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that is him. He is one of my best friends, trust me he used the sp 3.0mm headgasket.
Old 12-06-06, 02:22 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

damn thats crazy. How thick is the MKIV stock TT headgasket? I mean if he blew a SP 3.0
Old 12-06-06, 02:40 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Well he did hit 28lbs of boost on stock injectors, internals, etc.
Old 12-06-06, 06:20 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

I bet that was fun while it lasted
Old 12-06-06, 08:43 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Laxdude, I am fully aware that there are only a few boosted Lexus V8 motors here in the States, but however when I viewed the original posters profile it listed his ride as an LS400 located in TN... That is why I had too ask...The only boosted LS400 that I am aware of is owned and driven by Mr. Lextreme himself here in Los Angeles, California...I thought there might be another in TN. and was curious...I guess I was gravely mistaken....My bad...

Quick Reply: Boom She Goes