Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking for a true Cold intake box?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 04:10 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the pic

Also I think the fiberglass or vacuum molded lexan would be louder as well-- resonate better than the stell box--

It makes for a nice intake note under heavy throttle
Old 12-07-06, 04:17 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should see the pic's as they show up on the thread...Strange...Volant makes some pretty nice cold box filter designs that could apply to our SC's....$145 and look nice...
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a true Cold intake box?-volant_jeep_intake_install.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 12-07-06 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 04:18 PM
jibbby

Another Volant box design
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a true Cold intake box?-volant_intake_15636c_install.jpg  
Old 12-07-06, 04:23 PM
jibbby

The Volant basic design...They all don't seem to appear to flow good enough for my liking...
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a true Cold intake box?-volant.jpg  
Old 12-07-06, 04:29 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

in stock form where does the air come from, isn't it sucked in from the front bumper?
Old 12-07-06, 04:35 PM
jibbby

WD, that's right..The air is delivered from under the passenger side headlight...
Old 12-07-06, 04:39 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Yes -- from a high pressure area at that-- BUT if you read the BFI writeup on planetsoarer you'll see his physics approach to determining that the stock snorkel badly restricts airflow-- and the motor is capable of breathing better than the snorkel lets it--

I think the volant setups will flow better than they may look--

Intake and exhaust temp's and intertia play a big role in flow speed -- A smaller exhaust will keep the volume of air lower, with less cooling effect, hotter exhaust, and inherently lighter exhaust air-- easier to scavenge from the system without big pressure increases...

A LOT of people tend to think that you need huge exhaust systems to make big power-- but a 2.5" single exit can support up to like 500 hp if I'm not mistaken--

That's over a distance of maybe 7/8 feet too-- so over a 2 foot shot the pressure on a 2.5 inch intake pipe will hardly choke the motor-- different sizes of intake and exhaust pipes do manipulate the overall power curve though--
Old 12-07-06, 05:19 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not run the tubing from the TB down to the lower openings in the front bumper and attach a T-Pipe to the end so you can extend another tube to the otherside and put an elbow joint at that end and have 2 filters directly in the opening? To prevent hydrolocking, you can just install 1 or 2 bypass valves so it removes any water sucked through the filter.
Old 12-07-06, 05:31 PM
jibbby

Jewcano - Kinda like a Y design intake flow with two in flow passages...I see what you are saying and that may not be a bad idea...You need two filter setups potentially and that takes space and double the work.....You also have to keep the MAF in order which is located at the end of the snorkel tube and right after the filters.. Your sure to get more debris, dirt, and or possible water feed into that your filters and intake...Think if you hit a major puddle....Ouch.....Bog...

The AEM water collector will help with that though...The reason I want to bring the air in from the tire fender well is that area above the tire vacumes air up more effeciently into the intake... Far superior then the front air feed from my reads....Honda owners do that alot, and it seems to give them the best results...So why not our SC's...That is my take on it...

The Y design pic I am thinking of -
Attached Images  

Last edited by jibbby; 12-07-06 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 05:53 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

this guy has one of the best designs i have seen.

reference thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198906

also i think those volant boxes are excellent designs even though you said you dont think it flows enough? www.comptechusa.com uses what they call an icebox, which is basically a very similiar design, a pressurized box, the tubing, and an opening on the bottom, and their intakes usually are on par or most of the time out match any competitors intakes.

Last edited by CleanCL; 12-07-06 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 06:00 PM
jibbby

Yeah, but where is the filter?...It's looks like just a long stainless steel tube where the air is being drawn in from under the head light.....I need to see more to give it perks...
Old 12-07-06, 06:02 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jibbby
Yeah, but where is the filter?...It's looks like just a long stainless steel tube where the air is being drawn in from under the head light.....I need to see more to give it perks...
where is the filter? are you serious? look in between the bumper and the condesner/radiator directly under the hood latch.
Old 12-07-06, 06:10 PM
jibbby

Oh wow I totally missed that...However how is the air flow in that location compared to the air flow that is vacumed from the wheel well...That looks good to me though but I would still wonder about the intake air flow from that filter location..That's xirforever's intake from Lextreme.com forums, we go way back.....Still that's alot of piping, redirecting and channeling going on there.....I would also worry about radiator fin damage with the filter mounted so close to the radiator when hitting dips and bumps..

This is a crude pod heat shield pic and design that I found also....I think the guy used a aluminum camping cooking pot and started cutting away...Very creative but looks a little cheesy to me....
Attached Images  

Last edited by jibbby; 12-07-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-07-06, 10:22 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

That would be the condenser in front of the radiator-- but that intake location is a good place -- probably better than the fender well-- as you're creating direct high pressure when driving-- The air intake hole in the bottom of the front bumper draws in cold air [ or colder air rather ] from the front as air is forced into the bumper cavity-- some is forced up and through the condenser/radiator, and some under the car-- but it's still enough airflow to create good high pressure on an intake --

If you've got the resources I would think that would be the best intake design to try--

But I still have to say that the planetsoarer guys have seen the very best results from building a picture perfect BFI setup that is well sealed/isolated from the engine bay--

10 whp is a big gain for an air intake-- and guys seem to get that much consistently.........

Custom is always nice for aesthetic reasons, but a good BFI still looks plenty good and kinda trick too:
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a true Cold intake box?-bficover.jpg  
Old 12-07-06, 10:25 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

That guy claimed a 17 hp increase by calculating rwhp from 400m trap speed via a gtech.....
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a true Cold intake box?-topcoverii.jpg  

Quick Reply: Looking for a true Cold intake box?