Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new clutchmasters clutch is junk it broke already being 3 days new!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 09:12 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer479
sure it was installed correctly? also are you positive its a real CM clutch? if it is dont bother going through the douche on ebay just call up clutch masters and tell them they will fix it just dont tell them you bought it off ebay usually best to say you bought it from one of their dealers. but either rate they are good clutches and they will stand behind their work personally next time id go with either a competition clutch or RPS
yeah it was an authentic cm clutch, install was done correctly by someone i trust and have been going to for years. the rest of the clutch is perfect except for that one spot.
Old 12-19-06, 02:34 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

update:

clutchmasters says that the stage 5 clutch i bought was the wrong one for my car because the motor dosent make enough horsepower?
that they can look at it and maybe exchange it for another one and thats about it. so basically im out near $1000.00 in just labor and resurface costs.

i say the hell with clutchmasters and down with them.
Old 12-19-06, 10:57 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing good about this story. Certainly don't understand why the clutch would break using less hp, my sympathies...

Regardless, I'd run a clutch more in line with what the w58 will take. Got a Kevlar/Kevlar stage two. It's totally oem feel and easily handles the ~500 crank 410whp and ~400wtq and I tread lightly.

Why put in stage five level clutch when the tranny will denonate way before clutch?
Old 12-20-06, 12:07 AM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How did the clutch fail? Did you miss a shift?
Old 12-20-06, 01:06 AM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

just some input, I got a cluthcmaster clutch for oem replacement years ago and worked well, but with my 1jz i went with spec 2plus clutch and am happy with it. there is a slight noise sometimes in taking off in first but im sure its probably from my crappy install of the throwout-bearing.
Old 12-20-06, 07:27 AM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 90redsupra
How did the clutch fail? Did you miss a shift?
no joke i missed no shift, no under heavy boost condition, literally one moment from the next good one moment and bang bad vibration next second. i do know how to drive, i didnt miss a shift was being good for break in purposes. literally freaking fell appart.
Old 12-20-06, 07:29 AM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCoupe
Nothing good about this story. Certainly don't understand why the clutch would break using less hp, my sympathies...

Regardless, I'd run a clutch more in line with what the w58 will take. Got a Kevlar/Kevlar stage two. It's totally oem feel and easily handles the ~500 crank 410whp and ~400wtq and I tread lightly.

Why put in stage five level clutch when the tranny will denonate way before clutch?
level five honestly just because. dumb reason i know but even still it shouldnt just break appart? if i was doing 7k rpm launches all morning fine i understand but i was honest to god just driving down the street.???? im not running enough power to break appart a clutch like this, it shouldnt have happened.
Old 12-23-06, 07:35 PM
Turbocoop
Rookie

Id say its a manufacturer defect from what it looks like. Ive always hated clutchmasters ever since the one I had in my civic crapped out on me. If you know it was installed correctly which it sounds like you do then you should get a refund. As for the extra $1K you would have to go to court- they wont just say sorry and give you a check.
Old 01-02-07, 12:04 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Turbocoop
Id say its a manufacturer defect from what it looks like. Ive always hated clutchmasters ever since the one I had in my civic crapped out on me. If you know it was installed correctly which it sounds like you do then you should get a refund. As for the extra $1K you would have to go to court- they wont just say sorry and give you a check.

sorry for the late reply im in amsterdam since dec 26th. yeah i agree but im not financially hurting and honestly my time is worth so much more than the clutch problem has given me. oh well is how i look at it now. i just want to show others here on the board that this could happen to them, to me thats worth the $1000
Old 01-09-07, 07:40 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

if you're not happy with clutchmasters, rps is worse. I may end up trying this Centerforce Dual Friction clutch that everyone is raving about. What is the longevity like on these clutches?
Old 01-09-07, 08:21 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Haha. Anyone that has read my past rants knows my battles with Clutchmasters. I have a thread for that you can search for.

I'm running the Centerforce Dual Friction now as well. It's light and feathery and returned the joy to driving. Plus it's cheap.
Old 01-09-07, 08:29 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What are the opinions on ACT clutches for these cars???

in the DSM community, there is no better clutch... Ive ran everything from the ACT2100 with unsprung 6 puck (fun to drive in traffic, lol), to the ACT2900 with street disk...

My favorite thing was launching an 11 second AWD car using the ACT2600, starting at 6000 rpm, slipping it through to pull a 1.60 60' on street tires... Not sure where these other guys really compare... with the DSM's, it was just a given to run an ACT...
Old 01-09-07, 11:24 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RPS Carbon Claw Dual Friction clutch
Old 01-10-07, 12:03 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Man that sucks. Go with a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch. I know a few people with them including myself. It will hold around 550 ft lbs tq. I love it, it feels just like stock. I will always use this clutch. I haven't seen any go bad and everyone I know loves it.
I just got off the phone with the Centerforce technician. He says their dual friction clutch for the SC300 is only designed to handle 315rwtq, nowhere near 500rwtq.
Old 03-08-07, 02:12 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
I just got off the phone with the Centerforce technician. He says their dual friction clutch for the SC300 is only designed to handle 315rwtq, nowhere near 500rwtq.
thats can't be right,
mayb a newbie at centerforce picked up,
there are a few people here with more then 400rwtq and the Centerforce
and no one has complained about it (chime in now if you had issues)

think CleanSC has that and the Centerforce with no issues

Quick Reply: new clutchmasters clutch is junk it broke already being 3 days new!!!!!