Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: Turbo SC300 guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-01, 09:41 AM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
I didn't do the headgasket, but I saw no reason to pull the motor to do it. I'm actually thinking about going with the headgasket now...so I can run some insane boost levels.
Well, let's let you be the test pilot for this step to see just how hard it is

Mike
Old 11-04-01, 10:16 AM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Okay, let's say you turbocharge the 2JZ-GE motor and are putting out somewhere in the high 400rwhp range...

What is the next thing you are going to need to replace?

Has anyone busted the stock 5 speed trans????

What about the rear end/axles?

Are there any good clutch options avaliable to the 5 speed trans, or would it just be better to install the Getrag 6 speed?

From what I have gathered so far the 6spd swap into a 92-94 car is not a do-it-yourself type job. Would it simply be easier to buy a 95+ car?

The car would see MAINLY street use, but maybe a few drag passes a year...

What about intercooling options? Is anyone running a Front Mount? Would this be a totally custom job by either Toyomoto or Sound Performance?

Thanks in advance guys,

Mike
Old 11-04-01, 03:29 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I am running the Greddy Supra TT 3-row FMIC kit... It just took very minor modifications to the mounts, but everything else on it fit fine. As far as the trans questions, I don't know... I only know about autos

-Ethan
Old 11-04-01, 04:51 PM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

That's great news! The GReddy FMIC is nice

Anyone else on the other questions??

Mike
Old 11-05-01, 06:09 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike...here's some answers for ya...

What is the next thing you are going to need to replace?

Clutch...for sure that one.

Has anyone busted the stock 5 speed trans????

I know Jeff (SC300TURBO) has...but he runs insane boost levels...and NOS on top of that. Both Scott and I are still running the 5-speeds...no probs....and you've seen Scott's dyno.

What about the rear end/axles?

I haven't seen anyone upgrade the axles...I bet they're good for over 1000hp. The rear end...well if you swap the 6-speed in, you want the rear that goes along with it. I know the rear that comes with the 5-speed is good for at least 600hp tho...

Are there any good clutch options avaliable to the 5 speed trans, or would it just be better to install the Getrag 6 speed?

I just ordered the ClutchMasters dual diaphragm clutch from Toyomoto. It's the same one Jeff used when he had a 5-speed...great clutch from what I hear. I'll know myself soon enough...but I totally trust Toyomoto's thoughts on stuff now.

6-speed upgrade would be good, and I'm gonna do that in the future...but only because by May I want at least 800hp at the wheels. 5-speed would be fine for 4-500hp.

From what I have gathered so far the 6spd swap into a 92-94 car is not a do-it-yourself type job. Would it simply be easier to buy a 95+ car?

Jeff could likely answer this one better. Or better yet, call Lance at Toyomoto at 305-599-3050.

The car would see MAINLY street use, but maybe a few drag passes a year...

That's what I think all of us are going for....streetable....but can still kick ***. Of course....Toyomoto has a drag only SC300....that thing is AWESOME. Can't wait until it's done.

8What about intercooling options? Is anyone running a Front Mount? Would this be a totally custom job by either Toyomoto or Sound Performance?

Scott and I have the sidemount, good up to 450-500hp. Jeff has the FMIC. as do some others. Toyomoto makes piping and everything for both...I could have optioned for the FMIC...but I wanted to save a little extra $$ for now. I'll be upgrading to that soon enough.

Anymore questions...ask away!

SR
Old 11-05-01, 08:55 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't seen anyone upgrade the axles...I bet they're good for over 1000hp. The rear end...well if you swap the 6-speed in, you want the rear that goes along with it. I know the rear that comes with the 5-speed is good for at least 600hp tho...
Actually Clint broke axles no problem... He did that on 8xxrwhp and slicks.
Old 11-05-01, 09:19 AM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Don't think I'll quite get to the 8xxrwhp mark

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions and comments so far. Things are looking better and better.

Hey Scott,

Is your time slip for the 117mph run posted somewhere?

Does the Supra 6 speed LSD drop in? Or what would you need to complete this swap? I'd love to have the 6speed

Is anyone running larger injectors ???? Jeff maybe??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (on the hunt for a SC or MKIV NA as soon as I sell the '93 Mazda RX-7 aka back breaker)
Old 11-05-01, 11:57 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the supra 6-speed is not a drop in with the SC300 axles... you need the axles from the 6-speed as well...

Yeah Jeff has gone through a lot of transmissions, per his word they handle around 450rwhp, but after that point they start blowing up hehe

Jeff is running larger injectors, 440s with a VPC and he's going Haltech with 720s...

I plan on a Gforce chip with 550s then a VPC with 720s so I can save my time and labor on not installing the Haltech

I apologize to everyone for my stinginess, I'm currently under some EXTREME pressure at work. Like job-losing stress. Thinking of moving to Atlanta again. Mobile pisses me off so much.
Old 11-05-01, 12:29 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

6speed with an auto supra tt diff will work with sc300 axles.....6spd rear end requires 1 supra tt axl.....dont know which soo dont ask.loll......clint snaped a sc300 rear half shaft....he never snapped a supra tt half shaft...they are significantly stronger.......clint also snapped a custom drive shaft and a carbon fibre drive shaft...he also dynoed a like 765rwhp on the dyno at 30psi and 75shot of nos....
i offically have killed 4-5speed trannys...and 1 pressureplate which killed a block and bellhousing...
i am running 6-440cc injectors from RC engineering...they work awsome.....i am going to haltech and 720s......i also have a g-force and can tell you bean... a g-force wont handle 550cc injectors...and a VPC wont handle 720cc injectors....and your gonna pay more for a VPC+g force+gcc or afc then you will for a better option of a haltech.......i know there is a guy running 720 inectors on a VPC/AFC combo...by my people tell me that due to loads and computers reading that this is VERY dangerous....like blown motor dangerous.......and i trust my sources heavily...besides with all that cash you should go haltech and be done with it....
sorry about the job man...every sell the rx7?.....Jeff
Old 11-05-01, 02:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but I don't have time for a Haltech install... working 60-70 hours a week really kills my time. A VPC+G-Force+S-AFC install wouldn't be that hard and can be done in steps...

It was pointed out to me by a MKIV TT Supra owner here in town, that Haltechs are awsome, but the VPC/G-force/S-AFC combo is proven... there are SupraTTs running 850cc injectors with a VPC and they idle just fine... the reason i'd be doing the g-force besides the 6400redline is that they can reprogram the whole fuel/ignition curve just like you'd be doing in a haltech... no worries about 50% ratios like the limits of the AFC or whatever because the fuel maps are not based off the stock ones, they are totally redone (at least thats what i'm told )
Yup parts cost would be more expensive on the VPC/G-force combo by a good margin... but it has advantages of being able to be installed in steps, it doesn't take much time to do them (i'd otherwise have to pay someone to install and tune the haltech), and the VPC is tried and true on the MKIV platform, while in relative contrast, there are hardly any MKIV's running a Haltech compared to the amount running a VPC

but I have a long while to think about it... if i've got the $1000 to install and tune a haltech, then I might get it...
but first turbo/manifold/wastegate/downpipe/intercooler and piping, then a clutch, then an auto TT rearend, then I can get to the good stuff...

RX-7 is changing hands now... me and my friend ran a compression check on the motor and its in perfect shape... there's just something faulty about the fuel delivery (why it won't crank)... i'm trading it to him for a MKIV NOS wet kit and a Supra Turbo fuel pump

be on the lookout for anyone interested in a 300zx TT, I have an automatic white one that I'm selling at a damn good price... its in extremely good condition.

Last edited by Bean; 11-05-01 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-05-01, 07:46 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

If you want to be stingy you should buy some of my used parts I am selling They are all less than 5k miles old

-Ethan
Old 11-05-01, 07:48 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

ethan! hold me that tranny im trying to get the money together i might as well buy the turbo from you too! ill shoot you an email soon...
Old 11-06-01, 08:53 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ethan....I emailed you a few days back about some parts...I'm ready to buy depending on price...

SR
Old 11-06-01, 02:43 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Make sure you guys send mail to turbolexus@home.com because I don't think I have received anything! What parts were you interested in? Brian- Let me know as soon as you can because I have mass bills coming due on my car!

-Ethan
Old 11-07-01, 05:03 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

bean...you do not have an mkiv computer...i have a g-force and VPC on my car and still only run 440 cc injectors max.....ive heard people getting away with 550cc...but 720-850 you cant run...there computers can handle the extra load because factory injectors for them are 550cc...ours are 330cc...you can retune our computer for such a large injector......VPC is tried and true...i have had it for 2 years...but a haltech is better...and here in miami it has been proven time and time agian by toyomoto.......thats why im using it...because i know it works better than a vpc and GCC...and remember i have a g-force and VPC and GCC...i know what they can do and not do...also how are you gonna get the supra pump to work?.....it is a 93+tt pump right,.....your gonna need a fuel computer ...Jeff

Quick Reply: ATTN: Turbo SC300 guys