Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: Turbo SC300 guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 06:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No its a MKIII pump

Like I said, if I have the money at that time I'll do the Haltech, but judging by Toyomoto's pricing it will prolly cost $2500 to get one installed and tuned parts and labor. Thats not including the bigger injectors, the HKS fuel rail, the custom fuel pump setup, etc,etc...

The VPC computer is supposed to work with MKIII stuff on the SC300 (or just 2jz-ge cars in general)... and there are 720 chips for the MKIII, but anyway... I'll have to see when that time arrives

For now I just plan on 440s and a S-AFC
Old 10-24-02, 08:51 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys please inform me what Stage you got and what came in it. I am very interested to find out what I am missing in my Stage II. I thought that buying a Stage II was going to give me 450rwhp as the site says but evidently I will only get 330rwhp now and must buy additional components for the full 450. I thought that is what the extra 2 grand was for? Am I getting ripped off?
Old 10-24-02, 12:43 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I can provide info on the six-speed swap based on my '95 sc.

I, too, have talked to ComputerWiz, Clint, and others about the whole conversion process. THANKS!

Turns out the 5-speed/6-speed swap wasn't too bad. I used the mkiv web site for the basic instructions: http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/clutch/index.html

The following hints help with the swap:

1) DRAIN THE 5-SPEED TRANSMISSION FLUID! DID YOU HEAR ME? DRAIN THE FLUID. The 5-speed isn't sealed like the getrag. Even with the drive shaft out, the fluid stays in the tranmission. It's when you remove the support bracket to tilt the engine/tranny down that it *all* pours out on you and the garage floor.

2) Make sure you get all the parts for the 6-speed transmission including release fork, clutch hub sleeve, slave cylinder, access covers, shifter, and shift lever retainer. Otherwise, you'll spend more than you expected if you only get the tranny core.

3) Your 5-speed tranny mount and rear support bracket won't fit. You'll have to buy a new tranny mount and rear support bracket for the 6-speed.

4) You *must* get a new flywheel, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing. The design is *completely* different between the 5-speed and 6-speed. The 5-speed is a push style mechanism for releasing the pressure plate. The 6-speed is pull style. Additionally, you'll need a clutch plate/pressure plate of your choice based on the projected HP.

5) Save the reverse light switch from the 5-speed. The 6-speed reverse light switch connector is different. However, you can swap the two switches to make it work for the 6-speed.

I don't know if this is "Lexus" legend (analogy to "urban" legend), but I didn't have to modify the bell housing or the tranny tunnel to install the 6-speed. In fact, there's *plenty* of room in there. My understanding is that the '95 is the only year the 6-speed installs without modification.

I haven't swapped the differential, but that should be pretty straight forward.

FYI... here are the current numbers for my driveline swap:

6-speed with everything listed in (2) above *and* limited slip diff - $2900.

Flywheel, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, flywheel bolts, snap rings, Supra clutch plate, RPS stage 2 pressure plate - $1200

Tranny mount, clutch hub release washers - $125

Rear support bracket and clutch-release hydraulic line - $180

Hope this helps.

-scott
Old 10-24-02, 05:38 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 95 sc300 does not require modification..this is why i allways reccomend people to buy the 95 sc becasue it is OBDI and has a tunnel that fits the 6speed with no modification..in the earlier models its not the same case...im not sure what years 92-94 need modification but i know for sure the 92 does..........Jeff
Old 10-26-02, 10:26 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

I just read through this whole thread and even though the posts are like a year old, I probably should've read it before hand. Now I feel like I am overdoing it.

I am only looking to make about 400-500rwhp so I pieced my kit together. Now I read this post, and people are making 400+rwhp without even changing the head gasket and .. they are running small injectors ? Jeez, I have bought too much stuff. If I blow this engine up, my fiance will literally kill me.

For those of you who don't know ... I have the SP63 kit, GReddy 3row FMIC, AEM standalone computer, dual walbro 341 fuel pumps, 750cc injectors, HKS 1.6mm headgasket ... the list goes on and on ... and it isn't installed yet.

Am I overdoing it ?
Old 10-26-02, 11:58 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Angel....Did you get your whole kit from SP? What was youe experience with them, ie length of time to get the kit, cost and how easy or difficult to contact them. I think your kit sound nice....a new head gasket, dual walbro's, AEM computer ect. You shouldnt have any problems making that amount of power and then some. Good Luck!

gadgetSC
Old 10-27-02, 12:27 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no overdoing it. You'll just have plenty of room to play.

Sounds like you have a nice setup, should be *very* reliable.

SR
Old 10-27-02, 01:51 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gadgetSC
Angel....Did you get your whole kit from SP? What was youe experience with them, ie length of time to get the kit, cost and how easy or difficult to contact them. I think your kit sound nice....a new head gasket, dual walbro's, AEM computer ect. You shouldnt have any problems making that amount of power and then some. Good Luck!
gadgetSC
First off .. thanks for the "good luck"

My whole kit is from SP, but I unfortunately can't tell you much about them because I got it used from a Supra owner.

According to everyone that I have talked to ... I am underestimating the HP a bit, so hopefully everyone is right Afterall, more is better than less. I just want to be sure it is all safe and that I am doing the right thing.

Any tips/tricks, feel free to share!