Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: Turbo SC300 guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 02:29 PM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: Turbo SC300 guys

Just thinking out loud here gang...

I would like to hear some opinions from some of the turbo guys on the list (or guys that have extensive perfomance mods)

From what I have gathered there are three basic bolton kits...the fmax, the toyomoto, and the SP Engineering. Starting in the 4500-5500 Range.

I would like to run between 15-20 PSI on pump gas and produce somewhere in the high 400rwhp on pump gas.

What is the best setup to accomplish this?

Are there any ways to remove the rev limit besides a standalone ECU or the G-force ECU upgrade (big $$$)?

Is the installation of the 6 speed into the 92-94 cars EXTREMELY hard?

Any help, tips, suggestions, comments are welcomed

Mike
Old 11-01-01, 03:02 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can answer a few of these....

First off, F-Max. I had ordered a F-Max kit. Then after seeing the kit firsthand, I immediately cancelled the order and got a Toyomoto kit. Toyo's kit is WAAAAAY better quality. I should have listened to Jeff and Scott in the first place....but I wanted to save a couple hundred $ so I ordered F-Max. Thank goodness I had time to cancel that one!

15-20psi and over 400hp. You're gonna need a headgasket to do that. Do you have an automatic or manual? I'm guessing manual since you were asking about the 6-speed. If you're gonna stick with the 5-speed....a new clutch will be needed too. As I've found....lol Although...I am getting 15psi on octane boosted pump gas, you still *need* the headgasket for that.

ECU...those are your only two options. I would say go standalone. For the price a g-force upgrade would cost....you should spend the extra few $$ to get a Haltech or something. It would allow for SOO much more HP.

Jeff (SC300TURBO) will have to tell ya about the 6-speed swap....I don't know. Yet. That's something I want to for sure do, but it takes "mad loot" so that's outta the picture for a while.

Anymore questions....feel free to ask!

SR
Old 11-01-01, 07:40 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just like to point out that its a bit more than a couple hundred $... its more like $1000 and you get a stock SupraTT sidemount with the Toyomoto and a FMIC with the Fmax

what I want to do is prolly get the Toyomoto exhaust manifold, and source a 60-1 turbo, then get the Fmax intercooler and piping, wastegate, downpipe, etc

I saw the Supra manifold myself from Fmax and it looked like utter ****, cracked up and everything... I emailed fmax about it and they said they can't fix anything if no one tells them about it...
I know that you shouldn't have to pay $1000 for a good manifold... You can get a HKS manifold for a SupraTT since for around $800, and that manifold is a divided housing made for the gigantic T51R turbo
Old 11-01-01, 09:19 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Mike,

I've just completed installation of a Supra Twin Turbo engine in my SC300. Awesome power, and purrs like a kitten. Lots of info about the conversion on my website: www.fly-hawaii.com/lexus
Old 11-01-01, 10:39 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
You can get a HKS manifold for a SupraTT since for around $800, and that manifold is a divided housing made for the gigantic T51R turbo
What manifold are you talking about? A log style? The tubular HKS header is like $1800-2k or somewhere around there.
-Ethan
Old 11-02-01, 05:53 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

bean..the toyomoto kit is made to work in stages..although a front mount intercooler may look good for lower hp turbo set ups the side mount is optimal....just ask sc300t....when you go with a head gasket and 450+rwhp then you are in need of a front mount...and you can order the toyomoto kit how ever you want...if you want a front mount you can get it...but you pay more..the WHOLE F-max kit is garbage...including the piping....intercooler looks like a box.....additional injector holders are cheesy....agian this is my opinion...but this is a lexus not a honda....save up...spend the right cash and get quality stuff so you dont have to re-do it and spend more cash later on....also the HKS manifold <like Ethan said>is more like 2k not 800

Mike Lex....if your looking for high 400s.....this is what i reccommend...and its not gonna be cheap..but it is the best way to go....Haltec ECU..Toyomoto stage 2 kit with a front mount intercooler....mid sized turbo....720 injectors..fuel system....clutch or shift kit depending on tranny...you can get right around 400 rear wheel from the stage 1.5 kit like Computerwiz and sc300t have...very awsome street kit..but running 15-20psi on pump gas requires a head gasket and bigger fuel....and for that its best to goto standalone..and the only way to remove rev limit is G-force ECU or stand alone.......
as for the 6spped in a 92-94 you will need al the parts plus you need to cut out the tranny tunnnel back by the shifter and make a new plate for it.....Toyomoto does all this and has ALOT of experience with it....any more questions feel free to ask...Jeff
Old 11-02-01, 06:02 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

For only $500 more I could have gotten the FMIC with mine.....and that would have put the price still less that $1000 more than the F-Max.

Kind of like saying "I can buy a honda for $1000 and put a Lexus engine in it....it'll be the same."

Of course, I do like Honda's too...lol

If you're going to piece meal one, then ya as long as you get the good parts from Toyomoto. Remember tho...that one manifold will put the turbo at a certain angle/placement....and the F-Max intercooler piping likely wouldn't hit the turbo at the same spot as the Toyo manifold would put the outlet of the turbo. You're more likely to run into problems this way...and end up costing more.

If someone is looking for a all-in-one kit, I would for sure say Toyomoto. Sure you don't get the headgasket or FMIC with the basic kit....BUT look at it this way. F-Max will give you their set kit. THey say 320hp, and tell you you MIGHT get 340. And install on this is a bit*h compared to Toyo (head coming off is a pain). Toyomoto's kit can give you 400hp, plus you keep high compression for low end power. PLUS you can opt for things like....external open wastegate....open-air blow off valve. Call F-Max and try to get that....they laugh and say "nope, we don't do custom fab stuff for our kits."

And anyways....my sidemount is working awesome! The intake pipe even feels cold after running the car....even with no heat wrap between it and the exhaust turbine on the turbo! I'd say the intercooler is doing it's job

SR
Old 11-02-01, 07:30 AM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by philauldridge
Mike,

I've just completed installation of a Supra Twin Turbo engine in my SC300. Awesome power, and purrs like a kitten. Lots of info about the conversion on my website: www.fly-hawaii.com/lexus
I just went over your web site, awesome info!!!

Very well done! I checked out the preview for the manual and it really looks like you've done an excellent job!

My big question is. . .

Approx. cost for various aspects of the project? Motor? ECU? Trans? Rear end? etc.

Thank you for your time. This seems like a very viable option

Mike (Must sell his 93 RX-7, then buying the SC
Old 11-02-01, 07:31 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So $500 more for the intercooler or just the piping or what?

So now you're at $6000+ while an F-max kit is $4600

Don't get me wrong, the Toyomoto kit is what I'm gunning for, well at least parts of it... but its overpriced

I might be thinking of another car's manifold... I'm sure its not the RX-7 manifold... an HKS manifold for the RX-7 costs $400

Fmax's kit will make the same power as the toyomoto kit... its the same damn kit... same turbo specs, same routed piping, same additional injectors, blah blah blah... you can turn the boost up HIGHER on the Fmax kit actually since it comes with a FMIC

and you don't have to install the headgasket, just as you opted not to
the Fmax kit HAS an external wastegate, which any idiot can make it vent into the atmosphere

and the openair blow off valve, what is that? you mean a normal aftermarket one that doesn't route into the intake? HAH
you cut the flange where the HKS one would have been and you put a simple flange and get a TurboXS Type-H or whatever you want... its not that custom

I thought the toyomoto kit had a low compression head gasket in its stage one kit? i guess not...
you may keep the low end but you lose the ability to crank the boost up really high on pump gas.. I want 21psi on pump gas so i'll end up having to replace the headgasket...
(which is a bit*h on EITHER kit)

Anyway its funny how you guys bash another kit by saying its low performance and harder to install, and its the same damn thing, its manifold just sucks
Old 11-02-01, 07:34 AM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Speaking of head gasket, has anyone changed theirs out themselves?

Just curious,

Mike
Old 11-02-01, 07:40 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Alright then...I think this has reached the same point that Jeff and Scott were at when I was gonna get F-Max or piecemeal a kit.

Go buy whatever crap ya want. Just make sure you remember when you figure out in the end what we said.

$6k? I think not. If I remove the midpipe....Supra TT front brakes...Haltech...my kit price comes down. Still less than $1000 more than F-Max. Only you don't get the headgasket. Whatever...we'll see Oh ya, piping and intercooler.

SR

Last edited by CmputerWiz; 11-02-01 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-02-01, 08:36 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

SR...i agree..you and i have been down this road before..but now you have personal experience with the kit and agree toyomoto is worth the money.....also this kit has been on the market since 93...and has remained the same price....the kit is worth the money and is not overpriced.....do what ever you like...but people with experience say the kit is worth the money...and i am one of them....and if you want different specs on different items ...toyomoto will work with you.....but the end word is..you get what you pay for and the F-max kit is NOT the same as the Toyomoto kit.....might have similar design.....but different quality...i promise you....Jeff
Old 11-02-01, 09:27 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Yep...I was all set on the F-Max kit thinking there was no difference....I was even going to get the Toyo manifold and the F-Max kit. Now that I've actually WATCHED Lance make my kit...I see what goes into it...how it's made...and the time spent to get it right.

And it was nice to just say "I want external blowing wastegate and open-air BOV"....instead of having to do it myself.

I guess just like in my case...everyone has to learn for themselves. Luckily I got to see both kits at the same time.

Well...back out to finish putting on this BIG brake upgrade. The red will look nice in place of those old rusty lookin calipers!

SR
Old 11-02-01, 09:36 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Default approximate costs

Mike,

Re: Costs, as you can imagine, this can vary wildly depending on the kind of deal you can get on equipment, and level of your involvement. With the exception of about $500 of specialty conversion parts mentioned in my manual, everything else you will need can come straight off a stock Supra. You may not be aware, but the Lexus was offered in Japan in turbo dress and known as the Soarer. The car was MADE for a turbo engine, and already has openings and mounting bosses for the intercooler.

It is quite feasible that a guy, willing to do the work himself, and knowing what parts to negotiate for with a used engine, could do the whole project for $7-8k or so. Or, you could deal with the wrong people as I did initially, and wind up spending about $25,000!
A complete list of parts required is included in my manual at www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt
Old 11-02-01, 11:29 AM
Mike_Lex
Driver School Candidate

Phil,

Thanks for the info.

This sounds like the best suggestion so far.

I am going to try and test drive a SC300 this weekend to see how I like it.

I have injured my back (compression fracture) so I need a comfy car to drive around in

I am coming from a '93 Mazda RX-7 Twinturbo, so I will still need my speed fix

I have also contemplating getting a MKIV Supra NA and doing the twin turbo swap. However, the Supra would probably be harder for me to get in and out of.

Mike

Quick Reply: ATTN: Turbo SC300 guys