Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! My sc300 drives rough and has white smoke that comes out on occasion

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 07:49 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car has embarrassing billowing white smoke coming out the exhaust again with a terrible smell followed by rough driving. I have a feeling the head gasket is blown. I wasted over 2,700 on this damn car, no more. Getting sold or junked. It's in excellent mechanical conditon after replacing all the key parts, clean body but what good is it with a sick motor.
Old 01-06-07, 07:39 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz time?

Bummer, especially given what you've put into it and the excellent overall condition of the rest of the car.

Selling it is going to be a nightmare lowball. The $2,700 is sunk costs and you'll never get it back. That's why I'd be sorely tempted to just to put a 1jz into this and change your entire outlook on it.

Of course there's the fact that 2jz-ge engine are plentiful and sell @ ~$$500 to 900. Because of the number of 2jzgte swaps some damn nice engines are going for next to nothing.

Best Luck to you sorting this out.
Old 01-06-07, 07:45 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

If you are low on cash I would go to the autoparts store and get some bars leaks. It may fix your problem.

My HOndas headgasket was toast and bars leaks fixed the issue for me, I just put another bottle in every year or so, it has been running okay for over 20K miles with the bars leak
Old 01-07-07, 03:33 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by morris
If you are low on cash I would go to the autoparts store and get some bars leaks. It may fix your problem.

My HOndas headgasket was toast and bars leaks fixed the issue for me, I just put another bottle in every year or so, it has been running okay for over 20K miles with the bars leak

What is bars leaks? The car doesn't leak any oil. I will try it, anything is worth a try at this point.
Old 01-07-07, 03:37 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCoupe

Bummer, especially given what you've put into it and the excellent overall condition of the rest of the car.

Selling it is going to be a nightmare lowball. The $2,700 is sunk costs and you'll never get it back. That's why I'd be sorely tempted to just to put a 1jz into this and change your entire outlook on it.

Of course there's the fact that 2jz-ge engine are plentiful and sell @ ~$$500 to 900. Because of the number of 2jzgte swaps some damn nice engines are going for next to nothing.

Best Luck to you sorting this out.
I was thinking of doing this but how much would it run me for someone to take the engine out and drop another engine in? Also what's a good place to look for an engine, I think I will do this b/c I mean I have practically replaced all the major problematic mechinisms and parts on this car and the body is nearly mint condition.
Old 01-07-07, 03:38 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

thanks guys for your help
Old 01-07-07, 06:48 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

bars leaks is a sealant that seals up coolant leaks and blown headgaskets. It doesnt always work but it often does, it is a good last resort.

http://www.barsproducts.com/

Look under radiator and cooling.
Old 01-07-07, 09:04 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

If you have a bown gasket wouldn't the car overheat? My car does not overheat, temp doesn't even so much as nudge. Can anyone here tell me what your symptoms were when you got your blown gasket? My car does not hold idle at first start unless the car is warmed up several mins, then drops to a really low rpm.
Old 01-07-07, 02:37 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by $loJam
... how much would it run me for someone to take the engine out and drop another engine in? Also what's a good place to look for an engine, I think I will do this...this car and the body is nearly mint condition.
A straight engine swap by a shop who knows Toyota's should be a one day deal. Your best sourse for a 2jz-ge would be to place a WTB ad on this forum and SupraForums.com

There a complaints that there is little to no market for these engines. You'll probably want to do some engine seals, belts and hoses before its installed because of how accessible everything it.

Be patient and learn all you can about any engine you're serious abouts' history, there should be a few around.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ighlight=2jzge

Last edited by SCoupe; 01-07-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-07-07, 09:30 PM
$loJam
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCoupe
A straight engine swap by a shop who knows Toyota's should be a one day deal. Your best sourse for a 2jz-ge would be to place a WTB ad on this forum and SupraForums.com

There a complaints that there is little to no market for these engines. You'll probably want to do some engine seals, belts and hoses before its installed because of how accessible everything it.

Be patient and learn all you can about any engine you're serious abouts' history, there should be a few around.

Thanks! Has anyone here had this done and was it a smooth transition?
Old 02-06-07, 12:07 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Update. It has been a couple of months and the car is running smooth with no more white smoke. I guess it wasn't a BHG. The only problem now which is minor is that it has to warmed up up for a few mins at first start of the day or the car will cut off due to a low idle. Once it's driven it holds idle and drives fine. Maybe it needs a new ecu?
Old 02-06-07, 12:29 PM
David_K
Driver School Candidate

Its still a blown headgasket. the car will run fine with a blown headgasket untill enough liquid seeps into your cylinders. the white smoke is steam the funky smell is gas/oil. and the rough idle is misfire becuase of the liquid in the cylinders. the car dies becuase of the liquid in the cylinders. you have ablown head gasket im 10000000% sure of it. the temperature gauge does not read hot becuase the sensor cannot get an accurate reading. do a leakdown test and you will see at least one cylinder has a leak. its the head gasket. replace it or replace the motor cuz you wont even get $2K for a car that doesnt run.
Old 02-07-07, 07:27 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

blown head gasket simple fix if you have the skills to do it
Old 02-07-07, 08:48 AM
Turbocoop
Rookie

I dont understand why you paid the repair shops both times with it still not working right? They should have easily been able to tell it was the HG anyway