Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2 Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 04:49 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Cadillac tranny can't be compared with this Lexus tranny. Not at all. Anyway, I respect your point, but I'd like to know the explanation why you think it'll cause the tranny to fail after the flush.

I've been working on cars, either building the engines or turbo systems for years.
Actually, you can and should compare our transmissions to Cadillacs... They are quite similar, in fact, most all normal automatic transmissions are very similar insides... Even more similar is how they wear and how the fluids circulate...

basically, back flushing or power flushing puts not-so-stock pressures on things inside the transmissions...

I'm not saying the transmission WILL fail after a flush, but that there is a higher probability of a high mileage transmission failing after a flush, versus a drain and fill or pan service...

Nowhere in any service manual will you find a recommendation for a transmission flush... Honda automatically voids your warranty if they find you did a power flush, and I've still not found an instance where flushing makes a marked improvement on a regular basis...