Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Interested in 2gzgte swap lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 11:44 PM
slowwdsm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in 2gzgte swap lots of questions

Hey guys long story short.I'm a college student and need a reliable car. I have a 95 Eclipse with a 65 lb/min turbo supporting mods, etc. It'll be making around 400hp at the wheel shortly. At which point the engine needs to be upgraded and then I could probably squeeze a good 550 out of it. I am for seeing the future and I already know that won't be enough for me in terms of power or reliability. So I'm trying to make a wise decision and get a more reliable car that will have more potential for later.

So I would like to purchase a SC series lexus and leave it stock until I am done with college at which point I would like to do a 2jzgte swap. Before I make any decisions and sell my car or anything I have a few questions.

I've only seen SC's with built auto tranny's and 2jz swaps. Is manual not an option?

Is there a better year or model of SC for my purposes? Maybe more performance oriented or that will make the swap easier?

What price range is the swap? Any links or suggestions on the swap?

I apologize if this sounds like a newb question but I always like personalized answers especially when money is on the line.

Thanks a lot
Old 01-13-07, 11:50 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

understandable to want to get a live direct answer, but you can search also and find out that many have posted question(s) very similar to your.

There is a lot of info on swapping the 2jz into the sc series car.
Manual was an option on the sc300, its harder to find than an auto.
the sc400 did not come in manual (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

pricing is going to depend on where you buy your parts from, if you get just the motor, a front clip, etc. ..
Old 01-13-07, 11:58 PM
slowwdsm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MDeezy
understandable to want to get a live direct answer, but you can search also and find out that many have posted question(s) very similar to your.

There is a lot of info on swapping the 2jz into the sc series car.
Manual was an option on the sc300, its harder to find than an auto.
the sc400 did not come in manual (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

pricing is going to depend on where you buy your parts from, if you get just the motor, a front clip, etc. ..

I know the sc300 comes in manual, but I never see one with a 2jz retaining the manual so what i mean is that for a reason? Or it can be done and I just I haven't seen it?

Also I don't understand what you mean by " front clip"
Old 01-14-07, 12:08 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by slowwdsm
Also I don't understand what you mean by " front clip"
Click the search button, advanced search the type in

2JZ Swaps....read everything you find.

then type...

Front Clip...read all that.
Old 01-14-07, 12:30 AM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

A manual 2jzgte swap is pricey, the 6 speed can cost a pretty penny over a built auto. if you can swing the dough it's a good platform though. Just got to add in the cost of the engine w/ tranny and the auto to manual conversion cost as well.

I would think any obd1 SC would fit your bill in terms of years (92-96) and if you can do the work yourself the cost would usually just be the main parts (engine, tranny, ecu, wire harness, odds and ends) and could be done i would guess for around 6k all said and done. that's just an estimate though, factor in labor if you don't do it yourself and any other costs that may factor in.

clubna-t.com has a good write up on installin the 2jzgte in an SC.
Old 01-14-07, 12:44 AM
simonsays
Pole Position

usually a 2jz-gte swap with 6 speed manual trans can cost up to 5 or even 6 grand. i'm sure its worth every penny though.
Old 01-14-07, 01:12 AM
slowwdsm
Driver School Candidate

Wow I am surprised at how easy the swap seems to be. I've been reading and it seems quite simple. The only thing I'm unsure of is the tranny. A supra 6 spd tranny can be put in , just a matter of money correct? Sorry for the all the posting I'm pretty excited about this :-).

btw: I'm searching as we speak just a bit anxious

Last edited by slowwdsm; 01-14-07 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-14-07, 10:49 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slowwdsm
I apologize if this sounds like a newb question but I always like personalized answers.
Pleaaaasseeee Stop this B.S. Have some respect for the forum and its members.

Just freaking read the freaking forums and use search. Every newb question you'd ever want to know is right here and on Supraforums.com . Use the Search button and don't start threads like this as your first posts...
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-07, 01:49 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to take the Getrag 6speed route if you want a manual. If your coming from an auto car, swapping to a manual is going to be quite a bit more. If you want a manual you should do a swap from a manual sc300. There is an alternative to the supra TT getrag transmission. Its called the R154 and it's been tested to hold 700+hp stock. Boost logic has a kit for 2k or you can buy the parts yourself and have one simple piece welded up by anyone for around 50 bucks. The R154 is extremely common and cheap. Check out the thread in this section about it. A member did a complete write up. I personally built two of them for just over 800bucks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183050
Old 01-14-07, 02:58 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Default manual trans

If you want a manual trans, and you don't already have a Lexus, then the answer is obvious... just take a bit more time and find an SC300 with a stock 5-speed manual. It is plenty capable of handling most anything the TT engine can throw at it. Honestly, with the mid-range torque of the turbo engine, the 6-speed Getrag is overkill, and hardly needed... unless you have small ***** and need the bling-bling!
Old 01-14-07, 03:22 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any tt swap with BPU mods should be fine on the stock SCs W58 5speed. anything over about 450 to the wheels will need to be shifted with some respect, or swapped for the r154 or 6speed.

where in florida are you?
Old 01-14-07, 05:05 PM
slowwdsm
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys well I put my car up for sale today. I've been researching a lot although It doesn't seem like it I've been part of the supraforums since 04. The reason I'm leaning towards the supra 6spd is I would by no means stay bpu, I'd go single. I see theirs a lot of th400 sc's and a few retaining the stock 5 speed. Does getting either the 5spd or the auto sc300 make it easier for the supra 6 spd install later on? same?

Thanks guys
Old 01-14-07, 06:30 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

it'd be easier to swap in manual to manual stuff rather then having to sort out the parts for an auto-manual conversion.

i always read the 5 speed was weak and couldn't handle much power. If it can handle 400+hp then cool
Old 01-14-07, 08:59 PM
Jarrett H
Rookie

Anyone that thinks the w58 will hold out with bpu mods is crazy. It will hold for a while, but many guys are on there 3rd w58 with just basic bpu mods. Please do not tell somone the w58 is fine for a tt motor. It will cost them more mone down the line.
R154 is a really cheap solution

Last edited by Jarrett H; 01-14-07 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-14-07, 09:57 PM
slowwdsm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
any tt swap with BPU mods should be fine on the stock SCs W58 5speed. anything over about 450 to the wheels will need to be shifted with some respect, or swapped for the r154 or 6speed.

where in florida are you?

I'm in New Smyrna Beach near Daytona Beach.

Quick Reply: Interested in 2gzgte swap lots of questions