Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: which would you do?
2JZ-GE
16.50%
2JZ-GTE
44.01%
1JZ-GTE
23.62%
1UZ-FE
15.86%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Engine Pro's and Con's

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 10:35 AM
ttsleeper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the 1jz swap...clip cost me $750 plus $200 shipping.....swap cost me 3500 after changing motor mounts, all main seals, timing belt, adding 2jz water pump/fanclutch, and extending wiring..... BUT
in retrospect i wish i had saved up for a 2jz....parts are more readily available and can be worked on much easier....i just had to upgrade to a greddy e-manage ultimate because no one could read my codes in my area...now that didn't even fix my problem even having live data!!! after another $1500 my problem is still not solved and specs are a little hard to come by for tests, even with three motorsports shops in my area working on it!!!!
NIGHTMARE PROBLEM!!!

2jz all the way specifically for the work-on-ability factor...more expensive, but i think worth it now !!!
Old 04-12-07, 11:28 AM
Duckness
Lead Lap

wrd 2jzgte swap all the way or na-t
Old 04-12-07, 11:56 AM
mcoski
Rookie

Originally Posted by cherplex
You can find those easier than a soarer 5spd combo they will cost a lot more there's a vvti 2jzgte/getrag combo on *bay well at least it was last night.
Don't want VVTI
Old 06-07-07, 11:21 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) price: The 2JZGTE is quite expensive but very worth it.
2) availability of parts and upgrades: There is tons of aftermarket support for this motor.
3) reliability: Toyota has done a great job designing this bomb proof motor. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
4) uniqueness: Like the Supra, this motor is not very common and sometimes kind of hard to get.
5) out of the box power: I am very impressed with the amount of power it pushes out when it is stock. I guess that is why some like to go BPU.
6) potential: This motor has so much potential it is not even funny. People have been running 7's at the track with this motor. There is a 1000hp club present because of this motor. Some Supras put out up to 1400hp on this motor. It is just the greatest thing ever designed by any car manufacturer out there today.
Old 06-07-07, 12:06 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1UZ for it's smooth and strong power delivery and it's renowned reliablity. I'm not trying to go fast so much these days, so it's plenty of power (although another 100hp or so would be nice).
Old 06-07-07, 12:08 PM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
There is so much inaccurate information in this thread presented by idiots who know nothing about jdm or usdm toyota motors that Im not even going to try to clear things up.
I totally agree with you...I tried to clear things up a tad, but all went unnoticed.
Old 06-08-07, 11:42 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the bottom end out of a SC300 is the same as the bottom end of a TT Supra? Am I retarded?
Old 06-30-07, 08:07 PM
zinkie13
Rookie

you should ad the 1.5jz....i've heard of some good results
Old 07-01-07, 08:33 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2jz-GE

1) price - GE blocks are dirt cheap if you blow one, there's tons of cheap aftermarket out there for it now; 1jz swaps are only slightly cheaper now
2) availability of parts and upgrades - Most GTE parts swap over. In fact nearly all of them. There are cams now for the GE head w/ distributor. There's also a special distributor cap to free up more room.
3) reliability - If you do the NA-T yourself and swap the headgasket, you can do an engine gasket set for like $70 and get everything super clean.
4) uniqueness - About as unique as the other swaps
5) out of the box power - More than either of the other two. You aren't limited by crappy tiny turbos; you can bolt on a nice sized turbo and crank out more power than the other setups. Cheaper than the GTE swap, and only slightly more expensive than the 1jz, and it has potential to make more power in that price range.
6) potential - its a 2jz. Head flows better than a GTE stock; and the 1jz isnt even in the same ballpark. 67mm turbo and the right fuel and control and you can belt out 600-700whp all day long

For the cheapest price but lowest power potential; the 1jz is a good setup. But the headflow is going to limit you severely unless you run a cam upgrade along with an aftermarket intake manifold. Lots of 67mm turbo 1jzs in all sorts of cars out there barely getting more than 400-425whp at 17-18psi. 2jzs (GTE and GE) both make about 100whp more than that at the same boost level. You can make the same power with the 1jz, but make sure you toss in some race gas

I'll have the price list tallied up for my car when its done. The NA-T doubters will be shocked and amazed.

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
i want to know in general what the club lexus community likes the most out of these engines and why.

the options are the 1UZ-FE, 2JZ-GE, 1JZ-GTE, and 2JZ-GTE

take into consideration the following aspects of why your choice is better or worse and overall why you picked it.

1) price
2) availability of parts and upgrades
3) reliability
4) uniqueness
5) out of the box power
6) potential

you don't have to lay it out for me in some essay format on those specific topics, i just wanted to throw some ideas out there, i want to know overall looking at all the aspects what people think is the best engine to tune for our cars.
Old 07-01-07, 09:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
I thought the bottom end out of a SC300 is the same as the bottom end of a TT Supra? Am I retarded?
Not retarded. Just wrong

Rods and crank are the same, so are the blocks. The pistons are different though. GTE has heat-treated pistons that give a 8.5:1 CR with the thicker GTE headgasket and the GE has regular higher compression pistons.

Both piston sets have made tremendous power. GTEs well over 1000hp on stock bottom-end and I've seen 1000hp on a stock bottom-end GE (a la DaveH with GT42 + spray)

So in short: it doesnt matter. For a performance build on the cheap; the GE is the far better solution. Long blocks can be found for under $500 no problem. A GTE would be $1500ish for just a long block

-----------

Lots of misinformation on this thread.

First off. non-vvti 1jzs will NOT make as much power as a 2jz with the same mods at same boost level. The engine VE SUCKS compared to both versions of the 2jz. It can be fixed somewhat, however. But the head itself is inferior to both the GE and GTE heads. Its VE sucks due to the tiny intake manifold, the cams themselves, and the headflow all combined. This yields in a usual 100whp deficit compared to a 2jz at similar boost levels when dealing with turbos in the 61-67mm range (even bigger turbos will have an even bigger deficit).

Second:
VVTI GTE motors are not privy to the same problems that plaque the 2jz-GE VVTI. The GTE variety have very strong internals and actually have better headflow. I think the 1jz-GTE VVTI actually flows VERY well since it is a newer style head.

Last edited by Bean; 07-01-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-08-07, 08:36 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Spend $.

Do the 2jzgte/6spd swap.
You will love every second of it.
Old 07-18-07, 03:49 PM
rx4sc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
2JZ-GE gets my vote.

If you know how to use a wrench, turboing a GE is actually quite easy. But the best thing about this motor is that it is DIRT cheap. Meaning you can build one up, break it down, and if it blows, then buy another one and build that. After market performance parts for the GE is sprawling as well.

Not to mention the bottom end can handle 800hp.

I did a 1jz swap, did have a lot of costly unexpected issues....if I can do it over, I would just turbo the GE....
Old 08-08-07, 02:06 PM
CDY
Pole Position

Here are my reasons for picking the 2JZ-GTE -

1) price - Least significant deciding factor. the 2JZ-GTE is hella expensive... period. Worth it in the long run though (I hope )

2) availability of parts and upgrades - There's the big reason - parts are everywhere for the GTE. I've got 10 performance websites bookmarked right now that have huge selections and good prices, and I've only been looking for dealers for the past week.

3) reliability - Old school Toyota + Crazy-durable internals = perfect tuner.

4) uniqueness - Not many people are willing to drop the cash for the GTE swap, let alone build their own.

5) out of the box power - Only really significant to me because it shows you how much faith the manufacturer had in the engine; so much, that the Supra put out 300+hp off the assembly line when most asian car manufacturers were afraid to break the 200 mark (not all, just most).

6) potential - Obviously this is a huge factor in deciding between the 2JZ and, say, a KA-T or 1UZ or other tuner engine. But deciding between the 2UZ, 1JZ or NA-T is a little more difficult because with enough money dropped into any of the three you're looking at waaaaay more power than is necessary in any car.
Old 08-09-07, 05:59 PM
parnzen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the ge head flow better than the gte head? i heard it earlier but i didnt know if it was true. also, how much better does it flow?
Old 08-09-07, 10:11 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by parnzen
does the ge head flow better than the gte head? i heard it earlier but i didnt know if it was true. also, how much better does it flow?
The GE head flows better than the GTE head within HP ranges that are most often achieved by the conventional 61-67mm turbo set up. The GTE head will flow bigger, but the GE head will flow more appropriately for most street set ups.

Similarly, the 1JZ head flows great at low hp, but becomes a significant stumbling block at over 400whp. Guys with some really amazing 1JZ set ups struggle to get past 500whp and remain streetable because the head just will not flow.

At the same time, a full slate of head work can really make the 1JZ a high revving weapon. If I had all the money in the world, I would fully rebuild a 1JZ from head to block, rev to 9250, and torch the road. 2.5L would never have looked so good. But, this is impractical. A 2JZ could achieve similar numbers more easily.

Quick Reply: Engine Pro's and Con's