Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Strange whirring noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 07:50 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange whirring noise?

Whirring noise is the best I can describe it. But it happens at speed regardless of my input. So rev range, gear, clutch in or out, brakes, steering, or going over bumps doesn't effect this problem. I'm at a major loss and it's starting to worry me. My search of the board for "whirring noise" turned up one thing, the infamous center driveshaft bearing. The car doesn't rumble, shake, or otherwise act any different that it did before, except for this noise. Is that it?

Although I had heard the whirring earlier that morning as I was driving over ice I didn't think anything of it; I really noticed it on Friday coming home from work because when I hit 45 coming off the highway I heard a decently loud high-pitched noise. It didn't really sound like anything in particular, but by the time I hit 40 it was completely gone and was replaced by the whirring, which got lower and slower as I slowed to a stop. I could not locate the sound, at first I thought it sounded like it was coming from the front-right; but now I think it's somewhere around the transmission. Hard to explain; probably harder to understand. It almost seems like right before it starts I hear and air-y type noise (is that even related?), then it's replaced by whirring.

Now any time I move my car above 20mph (although sometimes it'll do it from a stop) the whirring comes back until I hit 45, when it hits the high pitched noise stage. Above 50 it is COMPLETELY gone, there is no noise. So uh.............. anyone have any idea what that could be? Or is it time to junk her? =P

She's a '95 300 5-speed. Almost 113k on the old odometer.

Thanks in advance.

-Dan
Old 02-03-07, 08:22 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the hydraulic fan makes some strange noise on the SC400-- but yours is a viscous coupling or something, but could be the culprit still--

Maybe listen closer while under the hood--
Old 02-03-07, 09:26 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 357 Likes on 229 Posts

moved.

Old 03-08-08, 09:58 PM
damnDSM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing this one back to life. Sorry guys, but I am not having much luck with the search feature :O

I too am having a "whirring" sound. Best compaired to the sound of off road truck tires on pavment, but not quite as loud. There is also a strong vibration from a stop and light vibration under acceleration at cruising speeds.

From some of the other things I read, it might be the "driveshaft center bearing" but I will not be able to climb under my car until my back is better, or I get more Meds

What are some other things that could be wrong?
I was also thinking the diff. might be on its way out, but how common is that with a 150k sc300?
Old 03-09-08, 03:25 AM
LEXpert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the transmission mount on the tail shaft.

the earlier mounts have a metal "table" to support the trans if the mount wears out completely. if the transmission is resting on that table, you'll hear all sorts of noise.

speaking from experience on an SC4, but hey, it's an easy thing to check, and so much the better if that's the problem

slide underneath, and take a look at the mount, and push up on the tail of the transmission, and see if it moves.