Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is NOS harmful? And how much can my SC handle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-01, 11:24 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If the removal of the cats is too loud, replace the cats with a front muffler. They are a straight thru design with stainless steel packing instead of fiberglass. They sound AWSOME and deepen the exhaust note considerably.
Old 12-24-01, 10:32 AM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 w NOS experience

I have some direct experience with NOS on a SC400

You can run at least 125 with no extra fuel. Call NOS and ask them they will account for that.

Also, My friend had a SC400 that we put NOS on.

He started with 80 and changed the jets until he was up to 125 estimated jet HP..

without N20 he was running 15.3s with N20 on he ran a 13.5
with street tires, Gutted and inserted 3 inch pipes in the Cats, re installed them(we have Marta testing here..) and Cheap free flow mufflers. and open intake cone filter with no heat guard..

THen he got a Swift racing tC. It got worse Struggling to get 13.5's because of NOOO TRACTION on street tires.. First and Second gear were useless on N20.

Finally got some slicks and ran a 13.003 Damn almost 12's...

Best time yet, no problems with the motor. Also, when you install you will need a fuel tap location, we chose the rear drivers fuel bolt (on the rail)with the hole in it. It was a ***** to drill and tap it for a fuel source.

Another problem that slows you down is the slow shifts that you get sometimes. Your car will shift dramatically slower when the n20 is on, Thats lexus still trying to make it a silky smooth shift with an added 125 HP.. and 200f.lb Torque.

He had a MSD on off RPM system linked to the full throttle switch. on at a conservative 2500 rpm and off at 5800(that helped the car shift faster)

N20 works really well on these cars. 13.5 is damn fast for only 5-700 spent. That will out run most new corvettes with ****ty drivers(arent all of them) Remember you still have a LEXUS not a Mustang,

Unless you go all out Clint Style there really is no better option than n20.

Also, Doublewhoosh or Toddmatsubara at tmengineering.net can help you set up your system.

He ran 12s with n2o only on the stock block with 100k miles.

He used about 300 hp direct port, stand alone computer, and big big slicks..

Contact him if ou want to try ( let me emphasize try to out run Clint with a V8 Lexus)

Good luck,
Scott
Old 12-25-01, 05:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hope I'm not misreading you Outrunning Clint with a V8 Lexus won't ever happen, sorry.
Old 12-25-01, 06:54 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll see about that........
Old 12-26-01, 01:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

don't forget you're talking about adding a 300hp shot to a say... 300hp automobile?

300+300 = 600... thats pretty sweet

but thats also flywheel hp...

clint dynoed 765RWHP... thats rear wheel horsepower..
flywheel is 900hp...

Like I said, a V8 Lexus unless its turbocharged or MAJORLY supercharged with nitrous (not recommended from what I hear) isn't going to touch a big turbo'd 2jz-GTE motor.

With 600hp you'd be DAMN fast don't get me wrong. Its just that its not much compared to 900hp. Thats 30% more power.
Old 12-26-01, 05:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Well put, Bean, but let me ask you this, what supposedly is the problem with a blower and juice on 1UZ? As long as you keep the compression down, the spark retarded, enough fuel, etc. Let's put it this way, if you create the same artificial atmosphere within both engines (let's say 1 bar), what you are left to deal with is an extra litre of displacement. I'm sure you've heard the adage 'there's no replacement for displacement,' just ask the GM tuned port guys. Don't get me wrong, we all know the 2JZ series of engines are literally bulletproof on a stock shortblock to 700+ hp, and truly street driveable approaching the magic 1000 hp mark with the proper management (i.e. Saad Saad), but look inside the 1UZ and you'll find it's just as overbuilt as the 2JZ-GE and GTE. I agree that it's easier to install a turbo kit onto the I6 and go real fast, almost too easy, if you get my point. Look at Blast Racing bro, well into the 7's with virtually no shake-down time.
Attached Thumbnails Is NOS harmful? And how much can my SC handle?-compressed-iroc-burnout-2.jpg.jpg  
Old 12-27-01, 11:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

well as long as we aren't talking about full out drag cars (funny cars, etc) and just street cars...
the replacement for displacement is technology

the 2jz motor proves this many times over...

Please let me know of a 1uz motor making 1050hp with anything The only one I can think of is the HKS motor making around 1500hp with two very very large turbos... while PHR's supra sits there and makes 1200rwhp on the 2jz motor

I see all these badass 2jz cars making crazy hp numbers; and there are almost no domestic "big V8, no replacement for displacement blah blah" cars in the country that could challenge them in their element.

But what you're saying is correct. In the end, there is no replacement for displacement. But on the street is not the end No nitromethane cars driving around on the street

Speaking of which, did you see that funny car integra with the 4.7L 4cyl? Running like 50psi or so I think and makes around 4000hp on nitromethane, supposed to run 5s on a DOHC motor
Old 12-27-01, 12:59 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

That Integra funny car is absolutely unbelievable. I have never heard of any motor with that little displacement making that kind of power, but then again at that point it's really all just massive artificial atmosphere and nitro. When you have that much air and fuel to burn, what the heck is the difference what it's going through (another adage, 'an engine is just a glorified air pump') as long as they can pump the mixture in and out with as much velocity and volume as possible (not taking into account obvious things like overlap, etc.), to me that's what super mega hyper extreme power production is all about, the volumetric efficiency. Bean, this is the start of a good debate, still waitin' to hear what the problem supposedly is with a blower and juice on a 1UZ (don't say compression, we all know 'bout that). Also, you stated the replacement for displacement is technology. Wellll..... the 1UZ is at least as technologically advanced as the 2JZ, alum block and heads, 4 valve, DOHC, 6-bolt press-in mains (that's right, bro), big-@ss oil pickup, heavily webbed block, what's the problem? Space is the primary roadblock to fitting a turbo on the V8, but past that, the extra Pepsi bottle worth of displacement should make the difference. Again, don't get me wrong, the 2JZ series of engines are incredible, I just think that the hard way will be worth it in the end. Todd Matsubura- big hit and management= low 12's, BLOWN_SC400 = 600+hp hopefully soon, Mo's GS ('800hp'), Blast Racing (well into the 7's), that street rod with the 1UZ in it, Powerhouse Soarer twin Supercharged 1UZ, Powerhouse jet boat twin Supercharged 1UZ making over 800hp, potential for 1000hp (stock crank, and stock rods I believe, can u dis that?). Also, there's a 300hp difference between the HKS Supra and the PHR Supra, as u stated. Is that not a big enough difference for you? Now, let's stroke our motors, you can go out to 3.3 or 3.4 litres with available kits, I can approach 5.0 litres. If we give them the same 1bar of atmosphere, are you going to tell me your technology will whoop my 1.7 litres of additional displacement? That must be some Buck Rogers technology, Bean.
Old 01-02-02, 07:35 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by Bean
don't forget you're talking about adding a 300hp shot to a say... 300hp automobile?

300+300 = 600... thats pretty sweet

but thats also flywheel hp...

clint dynoed 765RWHP... thats rear wheel horsepower..
flywheel is 900hp...

Like I said, a V8 Lexus unless its turbocharged or MAJORLY supercharged with nitrous (not recommended from what I hear) isn't going to touch a big turbo'd 2jz-GTE motor.

With 600hp you'd be DAMN fast don't get me wrong. Its just that its not much compared to 900hp. Thats 30% more power.
Out of defense for my V-8 Brotherin' - I have two words -

"TRACTION"

Horsepower means little; traction is everything. I learned this fluent language w/ my RX-7's. The most I was able to squeeze out my cars and keep them reliable/streetable, was 480 Hp a the wheels, but I was beating Supras that Dynoed at over 620 Hp.

Don't solely look at Hp #'s they can be misleading. Though I do believe Clints car would win, just keep in the back of your mind- if Clint were to break traction, he COULD lose.

Keith
Old 01-02-02, 10:07 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

HKS's Supra makes around 1500bhp, put that in terms of rear wheel hp then compare it to PHR's rwhp...

I dunno exactly what the problem is, but I know from several domestic tuner shops that juice and a blower is a no no unless its been tuned with race gas

In technology I don't mean what the engine is made of; I mean of how it is designed... the 1uz was not designed to be turbocharged; thats why it responds ****tily to FI apps... you can quote the big numbers of 1 or 2 1uzs all day long; but there are TONS of 600hp+ 2jz cars running around; its very very easy to do...

the 1uz motor has been out just as long so if its so easy to make all this power; how come no one has done it yet? and don't tell me people felt they were wasting their time on it or some ****...because I know if anything is out there to be done, its been done... why in the hell do people modify Civics? I hate em; pointless to modify unless you're just doing it to make it fast for a civic...

in technology I mean how strong the motor is out of the factory and turbocharged applications... when you wanna play with the big dogs, if you're supercharged you're slow compared to a similar turbo mod...
why is the 2jz-gte and rb26dett the best turbo engines in the world to modify? if the 1uz is so great then how come the japanese tuners use the 1jz? WHY? because it wasn't made to make major hp... its not designed around its core design to make big hp numbers from FI applications; the rb26 and 2jz ARE and they do make BIG hp numbers... thats why tuner shops can sell 1000hp bolt on kits for these engines... can you do that with the 1uz? Nope. Last I checked there is no kit anywhere on earth that you can just buy and bolt on and make that kind of power. There's a reason its not there and its because people have already tried it and seen it to be a waste of time to make big hp numbers.

As for the 7sec street rod; thats nothing; we're talking true imports here; not some screwed up hybrid that weighs 1000lbs... HKS's Skyline ran 7.50s, Siguel Racing with a 2rotor 3rd gen RX-7 is rumored to have run 6.80s a month ago...

Now, let's stroke our motors, you can go out to 3.3 or 3.4 litres with available kits, I can approach 5.0 litres. If we give them the same 1bar of atmosphere, are you going to tell me your technology will whoop my 1.7 litres of additional displacement?
Yup it sure will; always has; Thats why HKS Supra is not the fastest import in the world. Please show me another 1uz car making 1200rwhp. PHR's isn't the most powerful in the world either; there are several others with no quoted power numbers like Paisley's ride or Vinny Ten, etc...

You're still stuck in the domestic world of displacement rules. Well it doesn't on the street; a not in the import world when it comes to the rb26 and 2jz I6 turbomotors. It may at the track in the end in theory; but in the import world; all those 5.0L 1uzs that were around before didn't make it, where do you think the kit came from?; what makes you think you're anymore special than they were?

Here's another question... using your logic. The 300zxTT has the same size engine as the 2jz. Why are there no 1200rwhp 300zxs running around? The engine design according to your specs is just as advanced The highest hp # 300zx I know of was Kyle Pucketts, and he was making around 800rwhp by his mph numbers...
Remember the VG30DETT motor wasn't designed to be turbocharged from the get-go...
There are 1400hp Skylines in Japan, along with 1400hp Supras in the US... but the Skyline has a smaller motor!!! huh? what's this? Its A LOT smaller than the Z's engine but it makes A LOT more hp.... why?
Well its engine design. A small displacement I6 motor can be designed so that it can take advantage of turbocharging and make insanely stupid power numbers without too much work. They rev easier and smoother than a V8; check out the rb26's bore/stroke numbers and you'll see what I mean.

I don't know what else to tell you or to explain it to you... but if the 1uz is sooo great, in its now 10-11 years of existence; how come there isn't one in the WORLD except for a bored/stroked 4.7L twin GT3842 making ~1250rwhp while there are stock bore/stroke 3.0Ls with a single Y2K turbo making 1200rwhp?

All I'm saying is look at the scoreboard. We don't need to get arguing in this displacement vs technology thing. The fastest imports in the world don't have the biggest motors
Old 01-02-02, 09:37 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Bean, I completely agree with you that it's easy to make insane power with the 2JZ series engines (Saad Saad, Guilly Polo, Nils Leufven, Clint Pohler, Mark Tozer, Vinny Ten, Craig Paisley, Ara Arslanian, Lance Ho Lung, etc, etc), i'm just making a point for the feasibility of the 1UZ series, just because it's not common, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Again, I refer to Blast Racing, their 1UZ car IS outrunning all the 2JZ cars, at least for now, and if you look inside the 1UZ you'll see that it's just as overbuilt as the 2JZ, the Australians have run silly boost through the stock internals. I'm as much a fan of the I6 as you, but I also have an appreciation for the eight. I respect your knowledge, but to be honest, your technical errors lead me to believe that only one of us has put together some engines, please don't take offense. A blower and juice go together like tuna fish and lamb, the hit works like a chemical intercooler on a forced induction car, ever been in a worked GN with a bit o' spray? Next, there were 1200hp Fairladies almost 10 years ago, the Australians did it, plus a monster Z32 was just brought in from Japan to do battle in NIRA. Kyle Puckett has been running tens in true street trim for quite some time now. Also, the VG30DETT WAS designed to be turbocharged, right from the get-go. The VG30DE engine was designed for a normally aspirated application, and if I recall, the block, heads, crank, pistons, cams, and valvetrain are different than on the DETT motor. The VG30DETT is not considered Nissan's primo motor, the I6 in the Skyline is, otherwise you would see the V6 in Nissan's top dog, the Skyline. Do you honestly feel that the 2JZ is smoother than the 1UZ? C'mon, that thing is like butter, bro. I agree that the RB26 has bore and stroke numbers that are favorable to revving, but most small displacement motors do, plus it's not a smooth motor, certainly as compared to the 1UZ. Lastly, if you think there's only one worked V8 Lexus motor running strong, talk to Todd Matsubura (Double Woosh) who has a twin turbo 4.0 project and a 4.7 project (shhh) and he's run nice times on a stock 1UZ too. Also, Paisley's shop is doing my converter pretty soon, and i'll nab some pics of his V8 Taco for you to see, i'm sure it'll make you a believer, plus Blast (already mentioned) running real nice times, the HKS Supra has much more potential, the Turbonetics/RPS Bulldog Celica V8 from Rob Smith and Eric/Mark Kozeluh, Powerhouse's 600hp and 1000hp 1UZs (stock internals), plus a couple of other guys with some killer V8 projects in the works. All i'm saying is, the 2JZ is proven, no doubt, but I think an upcoming trend might be import V8s vs. domestic V8s, even though Toyota's I6 can already do the job.
Attached Thumbnails Is NOS harmful? And how much can my SC handle?-compressed-gn-motor.jpg  
Old 01-02-02, 11:55 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

I've got a completely stock 92 SC300. with automatic transmission. Could I add NOS with an automatic tranny? Or does it not make a difference.
Old 01-03-02, 06:36 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
I've got a completely stock 92 SC300. with automatic transmission. Could I add NOS with an automatic tranny? Or does it not make a difference.
Yes...doesn't matter. A 5-speed is preferred, but an Auto will work fine too.

As far as the saga between Bean and Lex; you both are right. The 2JZ is more frequently modded because its easier; but Lex is right in the fact that the 1UZ does have untapped potential- just costs too much to do it NOW........but.......

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of years as the Import V-8's start competing against the domestic V-8's.

Keith
Old 01-03-02, 10:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I'd love to see a import V8 vs a domestic V8 fight... hell I'd jump in

but have to argue here. I don't think the 1uz is as smooth as the 2jz or RB26... sorry

I6 motors are VERY smooth motors and very well balanced; they can rev higher easier and they make more torque vs a typical V-type design... I6 motors make more torque than their V6 brethren... just a fact of life... hence why good strong big deisel engines are usually straight-8s or straight-6s

the VG30DE I don't think was designed to be turbocharged from the get-go... the N/A came out a year before the TT did. I know my Z history And the main conclusion is that they put the TTs on there because the N/A was ****-poor slow for the money...

the main difference between the two engines is the head design (n/a vs tt), turbos of course, and the cam profile... even the auto and manual TT engines have a couple different things... TT engine has oil squirters; and the bottom-end is built like a brickhouse... still has the nice hightech intake plenum setup; albeit with intercoolers in the intake tract now

the VG30 engine is a great engine; but its still a V6; and V6s suck IMO for high powered imports; they aren't naturally balanced and take special care to do so; a la VQ30 known as the smoothest V6 in the world; goes in Nissan's Maxima, now a VQ35, etc you know the story

You're right; i've never built up engines; but I'm quite familiar with how they work. I've heard the 1uz engine is built up pretty strong; but I had no idea it was at the level you speak of...

but back to the V8 thing...
there will be a great import vs domestic v8 fight IF these things come into place
1) the V8s somehow get a manual transmission swap or setup... i couldn't stand driving an automatic for one and i'm sure a lot of others will agree... although they do have their obvious benefits for the dragstrip
2) the V8s get a relatively cheap major power adder... twin or single turbo or BIG supercharger...

I think it'd be awsome to see the import V8s take it to the domestic V8s though...
Old 01-03-02, 11:26 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

yeah...my goal right now is to beat the 6-speed last generation Z-28's..........then I'll be a happy man. Well until I decide to go for the SS's as well and waste a lot more money.

Quick Reply: Is NOS harmful? And how much can my SC handle?