Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZ-GE to 2JZ-GTE (Hehehehe) Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 12:23 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default finding a used US-spec engine

Just be patient.. watch on Ebay, and post your needs on the Supra digest (www.markiv.com). Don't be tempted to jump for the first stripped down motor that comes along. Pay a bit extra for a low-mileage one with all accessories. At least, you're going to need, along with the engine (to eliminate a lot of additional expense): power steering pump, Wiring Harness and ECU, Intercooler and piping, Airflow meter and filter. Many used engines come 'stripped' so you have to be careful to ask for what you need.

Any other questions, feel free to contact me privately:
phil at fly-hawaii.com
Old 01-30-02, 02:12 AM
trebien
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil - I am about to try the same conversion process on a SC300. We will see how it goes...

Also, I was just in Kona for the Triathalon. I stayed at the Waikoloa Outrigger right there. I assume you fly helis off that pad right there by the Waikoloa Entrance. We took a trip while we were there - the waterfalls. Nice.

Too bad I bought that heli trip for us - I could afford that manual!

Old 01-30-02, 10:37 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Default 2JZ conversion

Sorry I missed you, you could have taken a 'test-drive'!
If you have any questions about the conversions, feel free to contact me direct:

phil at fly-hawaii.com
Aloha!
Old 01-30-02, 10:49 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Default 2JZ conversion

Sorry I missed you, you could have taken a 'test-drive'!
If you have any questions about the conversions, feel free to contact me direct:

phil at fly-hawaii.com
Aloha!
Old 04-01-02, 11:28 PM
LEXO400sc
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: 2Jz-GTE engine sway

Originally posted by philauldridge
The manual covers fully the J-spec engine conversion, and it works just fine, I have done it. However, why would you want to even consider this engine if your first thought is to upgrade the turbo. Just spend a few dollars more for a US-spec, you'll have less trouble finding repair parts when things break, and not spend a lot of additional hassles with the fitment. (For example, the ignition coils have different connector fittings, so if one malfunctions, you'll have to scrounge around for a J-spec part, rather than going down to Toyota and buying one).

In addition, the alternator connectors are different, as well as the turbo exhaust outlet bolt pattern. Face it, you're going to spend $8-10k for a first-class conversion, why compromise by saving $1,000 or so with a J-spec engine?

My own installation took just less than a year from start to finish, but primarily because no one in my state had the knowledge to do it, and no one in the NATION had, or was willing to give up, the ECU wiring cross-reference information. With the detail information in my manual, which includes a complete parts-required list, all wiring diagrams, and suggested sources, I am convinced I could complete a full conversion easily within a two-week time frame!

Good luck with your quest!
How come everybody always say the 2jzgte motor is a straight drop to the sc? What about the conflict of the 2jzgte oil pan. It's in opposite directions compared to the sc. Oil pan of the 2jzgte should hit the steering rack if i haven't mistaken. impossible!!
Old 04-02-02, 09:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are mistaken I believe. I've never heard of an issue with the oil pan at all; in fact I think the oil pan on the GE motor is the same as the one on the GTE
Old 04-02-02, 10:04 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

From what I understand the oil pans are exactly the same, and the one on the non turbo motor even has a little recess in it for you tap a return line in where the TT pan has the return tapped from the factory.

-Ethan
Old 04-02-02, 12:09 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know where you heard that, Lexo.
Jeff (SC300TURBO) has the GTE block with all normal GE components on it---oil pump, pan, etc. The GE block and GTE block are virtually identical and made on the same assembly line.
Old 04-02-02, 10:45 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

It's not a straight drop???? CRAP!!! No wonder my engine keeps falling on it's side....stupid oil pan.
Old 04-04-02, 07:31 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by sc300tt
It's not a straight drop???? CRAP!!! No wonder my engine keeps falling on it's side....stupid oil pan.
Atleast open the hood or take it off before dropping that engine!
Old 03-20-05, 03:03 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I thought I'd bump the thread from the day I first signed up on CL...

In all my high-school stupidity, I apperently was pwnd by F&F, and three and a half years after the fact, my project is starting...

I've picked up a lot along the way, and I thought I'd just bump this to show stupid newbs turn into something

(just wait until a few rely after reading my opening comments!)

Your resident gooferator,

John

PS: list of my SCs for those who can't keep them straight

2001-2003: 1993 Red SC400 (Died while I was sleeping... long story)
2004: 1995 Red SC300 5 Speed (only Mike knows the whole story! )
2005: 1995 Silver SC300 5 Speed (current)

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 03-20-05 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 08:44 PM
yongtim
Driver School Candidate

Default 2jzgte swap, smogging

hi i just swapped a supra twin turbo into a sc300. I need to smog the car and i live in CA, SF. It's a jdm swap and the smog refs said it is going to be legal to bar. Does anyone know where i can get help with smogging???
Old 01-19-10, 07:32 PM
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap

^^^ I wonder the same
Old 01-20-10, 11:35 AM
tpham86
Pole Position

lol old *** thread.
Old 06-10-10, 01:18 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yongtim
hi i just swapped a supra twin turbo into a sc300. I need to smog the car and i live in CA, SF. It's a jdm swap and the smog refs said it is going to be legal to bar. Does anyone know where i can get help with smogging???
Originally Posted by edtuner
^^^ I wonder the same
first off you bumped a frekkin old thread thanks, and secondly if you read the rules you cant be asking for guidance to illegal things.

Quick Reply: 2JZ-GE to 2JZ-GTE (Hehehehe) Engine Swap