Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

built w58??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 04:43 PM
MDeezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
IIRC, there is a member on the supra forums that cryo treated his w58 gears when he did a rebuild and all that did was prolong the damage from happening sooner. The extra time that the tranny lived was not very long and not worth the extra money of cryo treating.

PPG sells a set of dog engagement gear set that should handle whatever you throw at it but msrp is $7500AUD which comes out to about $5800. This is the only w58 upgrade i know of.

wait a minute let me see if I have this straight.

cryo treating is to prolong the life and strengthen the given part. the part will still wear down but as a much slower rate due. The guy on the supra forums, how much power was he running? how much later after the rebuild did his tranny go out on him? Was he in the middle of a 5K launch at the track when it happened?

I mainly ask cause if he was putting down say 800rhwp, and broke the tranny on his 5th 6K lauch on slicks, it wouldn't exactly be equatable to say some with the sc putting down 450 and daily driving it, and gun it a bit here and there.

still at the end of they day the R154 would be the best bet.
Old 02-16-07, 05:20 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDeezy
wait a minute let me see if I have this straight.

cryo treating is to prolong the life and strengthen the given part. the part will still wear down but as a much slower rate due. The guy on the supra forums, how much power was he running? how much later after the rebuild did his tranny go out on him? Was he in the middle of a 5K launch at the track when it happened?
Here is the thread. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=cryo+treating
It looks like the extra strength from cryo treating just prolong the damage but did not increase strength enough to where it could hold more hp. In the end, it did not make a big enough diffrence to make it worthwile. The tranny is still going to brake at the same hp levels and did not last any significant amount of time longer compared to a non cryo treated tranny.

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I mainly ask cause if he was putting down say 800rhwp, and broke the tranny on his 5th 6K lauch on slicks, it wouldn't exactly be equatable to say some with the sc putting down 450 and daily driving it, and gun it a bit here and there.

still at the end of they day the R154 would be the best bet.
I agree, the R154 seems to be the only affordable option.