Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

'93 SC4 CRANKS, but engine would not turn over, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 07:28 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check the battery ground that goes from the negative battery terminal to the stud underneath the car that is located near the oil filter??

there are only a couple main ground points i believe....the battery, motor, and transmission are grounded.....
Old 03-16-07, 07:55 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cal9126
did you check the battery ground that goes from the negative battery terminal to the stud underneath the car that is located near the oil filter??

there are only a couple main ground points i believe....the battery, motor, and transmission are grounded.....
I was thinking of that one........ a friend dropped off a jack today...will check it out tomorrow morning.
Old 03-17-07, 04:18 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,065 Posts

FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator ????
Old 03-18-07, 10:57 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by jgscott
FPR Fuel Pressure Regulator ????
But what would caused the FPR to not function until jumped by another car?
Old 03-20-07, 12:42 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Checked all the grounds following the battery, they all seem fine. I started her up (by jumping it), and went for a midnight drive last night... she drove perfect.

Im running out of idea's here... any other suggestions?
Old 03-23-07, 09:36 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bump for a friend in need
Old 03-24-07, 05:00 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Checked all the grounds following the battery, they all seem fine. I started her up (by jumping it), and went for a midnight drive last night... she drove perfect.

Im running out of idea's here... any other suggestions?
If the car runs fine but will not start unless it is jumped, It would most likley be the battery. You may have a battery that is fine but to small for that car . It should be a 24F battery. There could be a week / dead cell in it. I can not find any "hard to start" flow charts on TIS that sound anything like what you have. (did the bodyshop stick another batter in it when it was down there???)
Old 03-24-07, 07:06 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry i was in mexico, but I have seen ur thread has grown, I am with everyone on propably having bad grounds.

I had similar problems with the car not starting up, there was power to the car all the time but it wouldnt crank, changed the battery terminal and battery and it fixed it.

Other than that, you prolly have a bad Fuel Pump relay its that round silver thing, prolly getting stuck
Old 03-25-07, 02:22 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
bump for a friend in need
Thanks for the bump man!! really needed the help.

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
If the car runs fine but will not start unless it is jumped, It would most likley be the battery. You may have a battery that is fine but to small for that car . It should be a 24F battery. There could be a week / dead cell in it. I can not find any "hard to start" flow charts on TIS that sound anything like what you have. (did the bodyshop stick another batter in it when it was down there???)

Battery is teh correct size, and it had been running fine for sometime... and just to be safe, I replaced it when this problem came about... still the same issue. I even tried a different battery, no dice.

Originally Posted by shlounek
sorry i was in mexico, but I have seen ur thread has grown, I am with everyone on propably having bad grounds.

I had similar problems with the car not starting up, there was power to the car all the time but it wouldnt crank, changed the battery terminal and battery and it fixed it.

Other than that, you prolly have a bad Fuel Pump relay its that round silver thing, prolly getting stuck
Welcome back, and thanks once again. Yes, I checked all the grounds I can think off, to the bottom of the engine, tranny ground, everything I can find. The car still cranks wonderfully. Just needs another car to be running, and a jump, and she will start up. I also exchanged the fuel relay with another one that was on the car, still the same problem. Btw, if your not Arab, your SN means “how are you doing?” in Arabic.

Thanks guys for all the help. Today I dropped it off at the body shop. It was in for them to replace the defective headlight they installed (moisture issues) and told them to try and fix it, and as I’ve guessed all along, they couldn’t diagnose it (this is a Lexus bodyshop). I asked them to bring out a tech from the service department, and they agreed… so im waiting on results. IF any ideas come to mind… let me know. Where is the noble prize when you need it! Thanks!!
Old 03-25-07, 02:02 PM
shlounek
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, I am actually Iraqi, so yeah I am Arabic lool. My old plates read shlounek also, so it was kinda funny.

I doubt Lexus will figure it out without charging you an aram and a leg, unless they already had another exact problem from a previous customer. But dont tell them what you tried to diagnose or what you did, let them deal with the headache and go everything you already checked maybee you missed something.
Old 03-26-07, 09:26 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by shlounek
I know, I am actually Iraqi, so yeah I am Arabic lool. My old plates read shlounek also, so it was kinda funny.

I doubt Lexus will figure it out without charging you an aram and a leg, unless they already had another exact problem from a previous customer. But dont tell them what you tried to diagnose or what you did, let them deal with the headache and go everything you already checked maybee you missed something.
Ahlan feek habibi...

If the Lexus body shop cant fix it, im planning on picking it up, and driving to the dealer, and dropping it off with a smile on my face... as if I didn't know anything. They are going to request a 90-100 bucs diag fee, that I will gladly pay if they are going to locate the problem. I'm guessing they wont charge me anything if they cant locate the problem, which wouldn't look good on their behalf. I'm also going to be dropping off the GS there for warranty work, and service, so they might work with me.
Old 03-27-07, 07:13 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

We'll... bodyshop couldn't fix it, or have any of their men fix it. I booked an appointment with the local Lexus dealer at Friday 3PM. We'll see if they can.
Old 03-30-07, 02:36 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Dealer says main ECU (or ECM) and wants $1250 for parts and labor.

New thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=2518907