Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Possible Plug and Play SC400/SC300 ECUs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 02:45 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, can someone elaborate on our air flow metering system. I thought AFMs were the meters with the little door and they are a mechanical way of measuring air; MAFs were the mesh type meters like we have.
Old 11-19-01, 04:34 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AFM is now different than the mechanical door type that were used on the earlier fuel injected cars,there are several types,and are cars use a karmann-vortex I believe.
I've got one of Splitsecond's products installed on another car,works alright,but the $450 AFC doesn't have fine enough increments between settings IMO.
The adaptive mode is what needs to go,and an AFC won't help there.
Old 11-19-01, 10:38 PM
808state
Driver

split seconds products might be the way to go if you want to free up some intake flowing. if you ever looked inside of a mass air sensor(maf, afm, map..which one is it anyway??), it's pretty restrictive. turbo magazine estimates a 28%-30% loss from this device alone(in a tt supra mass air sensor). you could have the best cold air open element device filter prototype in the world, and you'd still have the bottle neck at the afm.

supra owners have it easy because all they have to do is plug in a vein pressure controller (vpc) and replace that section with a section of intake pipe that is free flowing. not only that, but the ecu is wired (yeah, more like plug and play...supra owners got it sooo easy they've probably never cut a wire in their life with hks around) between the ecu and various sensors. it seems to have it's own fuel maps to call upon based on the sensor readings.

now i'm not exactly sure if split seconds product is the same as the vpc(but they are priced the same though..about a grand), maybe scv8 might know? but if it at the very least, it reduces the restriction while still performing the duties as an afm, it might be worth it. if you decide to supercharge (whenever someone decides to mass produce one for the sc4) or turbocharge(sc3 owners only) your car, it'll be a handy tuner tool to keep your car running properly.

now if we can only deal with that pesky computer... probably better off just getting a whole new engine management system?!?!
Old 11-20-01, 01:09 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation ECU...

The SC400's chip is definitely NOT like the Supra chip. I found this out after much time spent with an oscilloscope and screwing with the wiring trying to get a chip wiring diagram mapped out for my car and a race shop. The 92-97 V8's ECU is actually 2 computers, one for each cylinder bank. Apex'i's spec diagram is referring to commonly placed wires, since the sensor setups are similar.
More importantly, I have a concern that people using SAFC's and other "piggyback" chip setups are affecting one cylinder bank, and not the other. There's a way of doing an ignition and fuel mix setup, but it requires a pair of chips, copying of the flash ROMs during tuning and soldering of two wires inside the ECU module itself. I'm thinking about calling Apex'i to try and get a final word on how this part of it plays out in the older V8's, and if I get a definitive answer I'll post it.
Old 11-20-01, 04:26 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by matt7184
I didnt know the AEM ECU was a stand alone, but you are right, I checked and it is.........

Could a larger Mustang MAF be adapted and recalibrated for use in the SC?
I'm sure it can be done. The MAF on a mustang would use the standard output voltage, and that website has some electronics that allow you to run a MAF in place of the AFM on our cars...so yes.

SR
Old 11-20-01, 08:18 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well its settled, I'm going to get an AEM ECU after i get the clutch for my car

it supports speed density conversion... check out the note that says: "Adapting hardware required for non-factory forced induction vehicles. "
That means MAP sensors most likely...

if its possible to convert over to speed density AND have a programmable plug and play standalone; i'm all over it...

In their supported application listing, the N/A MKIV Supra is listed as being supported... that means SC300s as well

I'm just ecstatic!!!!
Old 11-20-01, 09:31 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Looking over the specs, website, etc, it looks like the AEM does many more things than the Haltech. Many more parameters of adjustment. The plug and play aspect of it just makes it that much more appealing. I downloaded the demo software and it looks worlds better than the DOS s/w with the Haltech E6k. The only thing is price... What is the price??? I find it hard to believe that its $2000. If AEM really puts this box out with a Supra NA base map for around $1000, we'll be in great shape.

The Haltech is in the $1200-$1400 range depending on sensors.

The Speedpro is $2000+, but at that price includes a bunch of features like closed loop operation at full throttle with a wide band 02 sensor.

Can we lock down a price on this?
Old 11-20-01, 10:15 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Hey maybe we can do a group buy when some of us get our money together eh?
Old 11-20-01, 11:35 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Just got off the phon with an AEM rep. said that they would be available to ship around Jan 1st. in both the street (plug n play) and Race versions.
MSRP is kinda 'up there' but we can have a cool special on them if you want. Just email with 'atten: Marcus'
in the subject line so that it gets to me and ill set it up and let you know pricing etc.
-Marcus
Old 11-20-01, 11:42 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I'm very interested...

You didn't list an e-mail address.
you can PM me the price on the CL site at SC300T.
Thanks!!!
Old 11-20-01, 11:58 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

oops.......... importtoys@yahoo.com atten:Marcus
Old 11-20-01, 04:44 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Wow,with that kind of control you could have a secondary throttle body to work with cams/exhaust,pretty cool.
The SplitSecond A/F controller I have goes piggy-back to a MAF/AFM,like an Apexi unit would.
Old 11-25-01, 12:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

importtoys,

can you confirm or deny the speed density conversion from the AEM?

In some cars that are MAF to begin with and have a Apexi' PowerFC upgrade possibility, the PowerFC comes with the hardware to convert over to speed density (no intake restrictions period)...

does the AEM system do this too? If it doesn't that means for us turbo guys (i'm a future turbo guy) that we'll be shafted since a Haltech can do just as much and its a conversion to speed density...

my friend made a damn good point the other day when we were talking about it...

"When converting to a stand-alone, whats the damn point of NOT getting rid of Mass-Air? There's no point to get a standalone otherwise"
Old 11-25-01, 06:33 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Bean:
I will make 2 calls on Monday......The first to talk with MY AEM rep and the other to speak with a second rep. This is to make sure that the info provided is correct( dealers do it all of the time....to avoid reps trying to meet a quota ) Its a high ticket single item and I want to make sure that it is everything that we expect.
And of course we will have a 'Club Lexus' deal going on for it.
I will post all of the information obtained on Monday.
~Importtoys
Old 11-25-01, 01:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Good job man

Quick Reply: Possible Plug and Play SC400/SC300 ECUs