Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Possible Plug and Play SC400/SC300 ECUs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 12:56 AM
808state
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

importtoys, any news?

according to aempower website, lexus, as usual is NOT on the application for the aem ecu?!?! seems like the usual susupects of cars but not lexus.

in the supra forum thread that was posted under the AEM ECU thread, thread, it seems like the aem ecu will just be under 2k and is slated to go on sale around jan 15 (it'll probably be pushed back farther though...). read the supraforums thread when you have sometime (try 25+ pages!).

i hope they do come out with the ecu for the sc3 and sc4 but i won't be surprised if they don't i'm not getting my hopes up because i've been down this road before.

for instance, whatever happened to the swift sc4 supercharger deal anyway?!?! did someone actually get one and if so, is swift gonna put the supercharger kit out???
Old 11-28-01, 08:17 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Not sure its gonna work......that coming from a sales rep.
I will wait for a tech to reach me about this.
Are there any other companies out there that have a Lexus application??????
Old 11-28-01, 08:29 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read all the posts?

First off, the Supra nonturbo has the same damn drivetrain as the the SC300 5-speed

SC300 5-speeds have an application listing, its called the 93.5-98 Supra Non-Turbo

I dunno about the SC400s tho, probably the race-only system...

You guys won't benefit much from a standalone anyways, there's no turbo options for your car, and the supercharger options are very small to state the obvious... smooth8 has something out about a ECU that he helped develop for the SC400

A question was asked by a member on this board in that thread, his name is Mike Lex... he asked about SC300 applications

Jason said if it was the same as the non-turbo supra (and it is), then it would work
Old 11-28-01, 08:40 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Good info...'importtoys' has to be 100 % sure... cause they are not cheap. If I list them as being able to work for the sc300 or 400 id like the support of AEM in doing so. If you guys feel confident in your own research then you are free to buy one..... at a cool price
Old 11-28-01, 06:42 PM
808state
Driver

bean-

according to jason in the supra forum:

We have not looked into the SC300's, If the N/A Supra ECU plugs in and runs, then our ecu will work, but I have not as of yet looked at it.page 12
personally, if had a sc3, i wouldn't buy it until it was listed as applicable especially if it's 2k! where did you find him saying it was the same? the sc3 and the supra may share the same engine (more or less), but the electronics are different. if you can pull out an ecu from a supra and put it into your sc3, and your car works flawlessly, then i'd believe that it's the same. but i seriously doubt the electronics are the same...why would they make it exactly the same anyway??? i wouldn't want to be the one telling clublexus members that it works when it isn't 100% positive yet? plus, don't want to get everyone hopes up either because we all hear about promises from other manufacturers...

also, jason also said
Who cares, we have that too, but if you have been tuning for any length of time you know that every car requires different fuel and timing to reach optimum tuning. I know there are guys that are reading this that have this experience and will back me up on this. I have been tuning fuel injection for aver 12 years, and have yet to see a time when I can take a map dialed perfectly for one car, and drop it in another car and have it run perfectly! Why do you think the factories have block learning, and close loop control? Just because they like to spend money? Even with todays production capabilities, Toyota, Honda, anyone can build thousands of engines of the exact same type, and they will ALL have some slight differences requiring slightly different tuning. page 21
i'm pretty sure if aem is customer service oriented and believe in a quality product, then they would make an ecu espeacially for the sc3 which shouldn't be too hard if it is just some minor tweeking.

in addition, for those of you who are confused about the plug and play and the race set up:

What are the differences between the plug and play and race versions of the ECU? How much will the race ECU cost? Will the race ECU also work with stock sensors?

The Race box comes with a harness to wire to the vehicle, and it works with all the stock sensors. As far as features go, they have the same features as the plug N play on the Supra. Some plug N play systems do not have enough pinouts in the factory harness to accomadate every feature, but most do. The Supra has 120 available pins, accomadating all functions in the plug N play. So unless you really want to re-wire the car, go with the plug in version.
i'm also guessing the race version is for the car that's only for the track and not the street.

these units seem to be plug and play which probably means, won't need to do hard splicing unless you need some external sensors or unique features to work.

well, hopefully they do make the aem ecu for the sc3 and sc4...but don't hold your...don't want to seem like a pessimist either but we've all been down this road before.
Old 11-28-01, 06:59 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason said the race version is no different internally... The only difference is the plug-n-play ability is limited to cars with specific ECU pin outs and fits certain ECU types. The LEXUS ECU has the same harnesses as the Supra, so I think it will work fine. I assume that Toyota would prefer to make one ECU per engine. Why would they do different?

Bottom line is that even if the plug-n-play aspect doesn't pan out, the only difference is that you'd have to cross map the ECU pin outs to match the wires up and splice them together. This would be an afternoon's worth of work, but the end result is that you've still got the same functionality. I don't see a huge risk here, and can't wait to get one of these on order.
Old 11-28-01, 07:30 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

This explains why my friend at Weapon-R don't like the idea of a generic ECU for maximum output. He's always telling me that tunable controllers are better than "chips" because they can work with the specific car.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle! GI JOE! :eek:
Old 11-28-01, 09:53 PM
808state
Driver

2k and you still have to hard splice, figure out pin outs, and trial and error??? so much for plug and play... i guess they should be called micro-slop's ecu...whoops, i meant microsoft's ecu??? doubt their warranty would cover you trying to adapt their ecu to a non applicable car.

most people won't have the knowledge to adapt the ecu if it wasn't specifically made for their car. however, if sc300t and madmax can figure it out for the sc3 and sc4 guys, "go joe!"

Last edited by 808state; 11-28-01 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-29-01, 06:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 808state
2k and you still have to hard splice, figure out pin outs, and trial and error??? so much for plug and play... i guess they should be called micro-slop's ecu...whoops, i meant microsoft's ecu??? doubt their warranty would cover you trying to adapt their ecu to a non applicable car.

most people won't have the knowledge to adapt the ecu if it wasn't specifically made for their car. however, if sc300t and madmax can figure it out for the sc3 and sc4 guys, "go joe!"

Whomever figures out the wiring first (if it's NOT the same) give me the specs and digital pics of the plugs. I'll give it to a builder, and for around $60 each I can have an adapter harness made...so there is no odd wiring.

SR
Old 11-29-01, 11:23 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC300T you said everything I was gonna say...

I'm 99% sure the Supra N/A and SC300 electronics are the same... in fact the basemap they give would work too... same motor and drivetrain, etc...

the supra n/a and Sc300 are the SAME car basically... the sc300 just has a longer wheelbase

And like they said, if the wires don't line up, it would be kinda easy to fix... and I could myself make a special harness to adapt the two... I got good electronics equipment where I work
Old 11-12-20, 06:11 PM
MrBodega
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

coming back to this dead post