Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New 95 SC400 Owner - Need Perf. Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 03:33 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blizzy
make sure you find a mandrel bending exhaust shop if you are willing to pay the extra money and are serious about the performance from an exhaust without inherent restrictions at each bend. they are not easy to locate and you may have to do some driving to get it done right, but it is probably worth it given the research you have already invested into designing the proper exhaust.
I don't really think mandrel bent piping on an N/A car will make a difference but on a turbo car its a must.
Old 02-26-07, 04:09 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeDogg
I don't really think mandrel bent piping on an N/A car will make a difference but on a turbo car its a must.
It most certainly makes a difference! Both N/A and turbo will benefit from mandrel bent tubing. Anything to reduce the turbulence and improve scavenging in the exhaust is an improvement.
Old 02-26-07, 05:34 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Regardless of the engine hp, there is a perferred pipe diameter that will capacitate maximum flow without offering any wasted space for exhaust gases to lose momentum. Any obstruction to this will tamper with performance. Mandrel bent piping ensures that there is no tampering whatsoever, allowing the pipe to take on its true flow characteristics. This allows conventional flow dynamic equations and forumlae to be applied, which is very critical when trying to design the perfect exhaust for an engine.

If you simply want a certain sound or some bling via a stainless steel exhaust, clearly the above is not important. But, for anyone trying to get maximum performance from an exhaust, mandrel bending must not be undervalued.
Old 02-26-07, 05:43 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Redphoenix: I'd like to know how your exhaust sounds and works out... I was thinking of a similar setup for my car.
Old 02-26-07, 06:55 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkorsu
It most certainly makes a difference! Both N/A and turbo will benefit from mandrel bent tubing. Anything to reduce the turbulence and improve scavenging in the exhaust is an improvement.
The right size piping makes a difference. I've learned on other boards and forums Mandrel bent piping is for maximum performance. However it costs alot more to get exhaust pipes made mandrel bent than crush bent.

I just think it is waste of money to get mandrel bent piping made on an N/A car. Cause the power gains would like be a clutch fan to e-fan mod, or removing AC mod, or putting on lightweigh pulleys.

Forced induction is another story though, you'll want as little back pressure as possible

just my 02cents
Old 02-27-07, 07:32 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

The right size piping makes a difference. I've learned on other boards and forums Mandrel bent piping is for maximum performance. However it costs alot more to get exhaust pipes made mandrel bent than crush bent.

I just think it is waste of money to get mandrel bent piping made on an N/A car. Cause the power gains would like be a clutch fan to e-fan mod, or removing AC mod, or putting on lightweigh pulleys.

Forced induction is another story though, you'll want as little back pressure as possible

just my 02cents
I do agree with you here, but I am of the school that if you're gonna do it.....do it right the first time! Also, while the gain with mandrel bent may be infinitesimal, with any modding it is the sum of the parts that make up the whole. Better piping can help headers which help heads (if work was done), etc.
Old 03-01-07, 06:46 PM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
im putting on 2 magnaflows, magnaflow x pipe and new 2.25 piping from the cats all the way back, deleting the rest.

ill let you know how it feels and how it sounds if you want. (thursday)
How did everything turn out today?
Old 03-06-07, 06:37 PM
quickspeed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in Phx done a BFI

Anyone in Phx done a BFI on a SC that I can check out for reference? I would greatly appreciate someone to show me firsthand.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-07, 05:58 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

The BFI is really easy, just print off the planet soarer BFI3 instructions, sans the fiberglass part, drill the three 2" holes in the front of the airbox, cut out of an ABS top and side out of a 2'x3' sheet of ABS and your done. 2 hours if you have interuptions.