Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ-GTE VVT-I into a 95 sc300?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 10:50 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1JZ-GTE VVT-I into a 95 sc300?

hi guys, ive read some of the 1jz posts around here and i found out that i can basically get a non vvit 1jz engine and bolt it on to my w58 tranny with no problems, it seems like the swap is pretty straight forward as well.. But now im thinking of doing a 1jz-gte VVT-T engine swap into my sc300, but i have a few questions.

1. will the tranny still bolt up to the vvti engine?
2. are the flywheels interchangeable?
3. how much harder would the swap be?
4. will i need anything custom jobs? (i know i probably have to make new pipings for the downpipe)
5. i know most maintaince parts with the 1jz gte are interchangeable with the 2jz gte motor, does this apply to the vvti engine as well?
6. will it require extensive wiring? (i understand with the non vvti 1jz you only need to extend wires)
7. any problems usually result from the swap? (such as the comon rpm gauge not working and such for the non vvti 1jz)
8. what parts are needed for the swap? would auto ecu work?

i know im asking a bit more question. ive looked for vvti information but i keep stumbling on the same non vvti info, seems like the vvti swap is quite rare at this point.. thanks for any replies in advance.
Old 04-01-07, 07:25 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I know about this.

1. will the tranny still bolt up to the vvti engine?
YES
2. are the flywheels interchangeable?
SAME FLYWHEEL
3. how much harder would the swap be?
THE DIFFERENCE IS THE WIRING
4. will i need anything custom jobs? (i know i probably have to make new pipings for the downpipe)SOME CUSTOMIZING IN THE EXHAUST, PLUGGING IT UP TO THE STOCK DP
5. i know most maintaince parts with the 1jz gte are interchangeable with the 2jz gte motor, does this apply to the vvti engine as well? THIS I DON'T KNOW IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT SOME PARTS ARE INTERCHANGEABLE BUT AS IN THE NON VVTI JZ's
6. will it require extensive wiring? (i understand with the non vvti 1jz you only need to extend wires)
7. any problems usually result from the swap? (such as the comon rpm gauge not working and such for the non vvti 1jz) THIS IS THE SAME ISSUE YOU HAVE TO TAKE CAR OF IN EVERY SWAP
8. what parts are needed for the swap? would auto ecu work? THE WIRING IS DIFFERENT TO SO IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE BE SURE TO USE EVERYTHING FROM THE VVTI, IF YOU HAVE AN AUTO ECU AND ARE USING A MANUAL TRANNY WILL WORK i WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO TELL YOU IF YOU MIGHT HAVE SOME ISSUE WITH THAT.

I hope this help man, I am not expert in the VVTi world so don't quote me on this, Keep getting more info and good luck

i know im asking a bit more question. ive looked for vvti information but i keep stumbling on the same non vvti info, seems like the vvti swap is quite rare at this point.. thanks for any replies in advance.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-01-07, 11:30 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

thanks for the reply! im just wondering how much more extensive the wiring is, and whether an auto ecu would work?? im asking this because if not then im gnna have to find a 5-speed vvti ecu which is gonna be hard.

im wondering why not alot of people did the vvti swap? if its not that hard as well, why not?
Old 04-04-07, 07:54 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by s14maniac
thanks for the reply! im just wondering how much more extensive the wiring is, and whether an auto ecu would work?? im asking this because if not then im gnna have to find a 5-speed vvti ecu which is gonna be hard.

im wondering why not alot of people did the vvti swap? if its not that hard as well, why not?
VVTI is a better engine, simply because toyota will not go backwards, if the non vvti is awesome they need to improve their set up....know what I mean.
I believe the main reason why we do not see so much VVTi running around is because it unknown territory
Old 04-04-07, 09:02 AM
[jeanius]
Driver School Candidate

8. I've never done the swap but I'm planning on it, from what I've seen it is easier if you match the ECU up to the motor. Auto tranny, use an Auto ECU....Manual Tranny, use manual ECU.

Then again I could be wrong, just ask people who's done the swap.
Old 04-04-07, 10:42 AM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

i tried asking people whos done the swap, as a matter of fact i pmed one of the guy, with no response ofcourse. :/
Old 04-10-07, 10:37 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

upupupup
Old 04-11-07, 08:16 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The 1J ECU for autos runs the whole show for both the motor and the transmission. I know that you can run a non-VVTi 1J ECU with an R154 conversion (as that was what I was going to do with my old Soarer for a while before I sold it) so I see little reason why it wouldn't work in a VVTi equipped 1J.

You could always bite the bullet and get a Mine's or something similar (full replacement ECU to your specs).