Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Alternator or Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 05:25 AM
Sintari
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you think the issue could be?
Old 06-26-07, 05:47 AM
sonoramike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sintari
Alright guys, I replaced the alternator a fw months ago and it fixed the problem.
light went out and battery never felt drained out?

I know the alternator is good because I replaced it less then 3 months ago.
just cause you installed it 3 mo's ago doesn't mean it hasn't gone south in the meanwhile, these things fail.

do you have an alternator/generator shop nearby that you can take it to so that you can have it tested? I'd avoid the kragen/autozone bench testers, I took an alternator from my Integra that had toasted brushes to them to test and it incorrectly passed when it was outputing 0 volts. Read the story and feel my pain here

What do you guys suggest?
begin from the beginning:

1) is the alternator outputting voltage?

2) if not then I'd pull it and get it to a generator/alternator rebuild shop. if you don't have one nearby then I'd find one that I could send the unit to vs. buying another alternator. the cost of having a gen/alt shop rebuild it and having to ship it back and forth will be *a lot* less than buying a new/rebuilt one, and it'll be a better repair in the end.

problems with alternators are usually limited to worn brushes or blown diode packs, both pretty inexpensive parts vs the price of a new alt.

3) if it is making voltage then you have another problem, but I'd suspect that the alt is not making voltage and is no good

And what is this oil ring you guys are talking about needing to be replaced?
its on the distributor shaft where the dist seats onto the block, the o-ring keeps the oil in the block from coming out via the distributor-to-block seat. distributor sits above the alternator, if the o-ring on the dist shaft is old/crushed/cracked and allows oil from the block out then it will drip on the alt causing the bearings in the alt to wear out very quickly. the bearing wear causes the shaft that spins in the alt to go off kilter and kills the slip ring which kills the alternator, same prob caused by power steering pump leaking onto alt.
Old 06-26-07, 08:42 AM
Sintari
Rookie

Do you know the part number or where I could purchase this O-Ring? Also, that may be the cause of why my Alternator went bad. I see oil residue on the back of it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-07, 09:03 AM
sonoramike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sintari
Do you know the part number or where I could purchase this O-Ring?
no, sorry. call the stealer and ask them, they'll be able to tell you the pn and $
Old 06-26-07, 09:08 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=7&catalogid=2

Should be #7 if you view the illustration.
Old 06-26-07, 12:58 PM
sonoramike
Driver School Candidate

sc300max,

thats a great link to the parts diagrams - if only they had the pn#'s on there it would be perfect, but at least it gets you in the ballpark for price. I goofed with the url to get it to display a listing for my 92 sc400, thanks for posting it
Old 07-22-07, 07:35 PM
V Garage
Driver School Candidate

sorry to bump a thread up but im getting the same problem. I did the check with pulling the negative battery terminal and it still ran. Put in a new dry cell battery and the light is still on. What do you think it can be?