Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mufflers/Cats Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01 | 09:04 PM
XX400
Rookie

Question

Raj

I have that same x pipe installed on my sc 400, did you notice any sound or resonance coming from the x pipe under throttle.
Old 12-04-01 | 01:21 AM
black sc
Pole Position

Originally posted by 007lexus
This question is for all the folks which have dropped their cats on their cars:
Has anyone been hassled by cops or highpatrol?
Sometimes here in calif, i've seen a emission setup which is placed on on-ramps of freeways which takes readings coming from your exhaust as you accelerate onto the freeway, won't this catch those with out cats?
What about the noise factor?
How much more louder will the car sound?
Would the sound be noticable that will lead a cop to think that u dont have cats on your car?
How about the horsepower increase? How much w/o cats?

thanks,
Yeah, I saw those things. It looks like somebody with a tripod and some equipment in the middle of the grass. I had a car without cats and thought it would catch me back in 2000. Then, I remembered that I just reinstalled the cats a half a year before that.

I wonder how those things work. The reason why I ask is because I was doing 85 mph to pass the smog sniffer on a U-shaped off ramp and wondered if it uses thermal imaging. That things seems like it wouldn't be able to measure much of anything if it is using some sensor for smell. Also, the day I passed the smog sniffer was a windy day.

I just remebered. I had a old Chevy that got reported for excessive smog a long time ago to redo a smog check. I think I got a notice in the mail back then.

About the x-pipe controversy. I am not sure b/c, I've had a 300zxtt with a x-pipe but, it had no cats(HKS full racing exhaust w/o cats). When, I put the cats on. I noticed a huge difference in torque and power loss. Had to do it due, to emissions or smog check. I cannot say the x-pipe is better or not from stock due to the cat-removal. Also, the car was a 6-cylinder turbo not, a natural aspirated car.

Anyways, the x-pipe theory was prduced from NASCAR. It is good for V-8 engines and supposedly suppose to produce more hp and/or torque for cars but, that is in theory for our SCs. I don't know if it actually is true or a urban legend. I would be willing to try it out though.

The question is whether to go 2.5" piping from the manifold all the way thru. Why wouldn't it be good? I know that there should be some backpressure so, you don't lose too much on the low end. However, is 2.5" really too much of a backpressure loss with the cats on? Can someone back this up or at least explain please?

Also, there is an article on Magnaflow's website about a Honda or some car that had a cat that could be taken off and reattached with a straight pipe and reinstalled again for emissions or street driving.

Good info guys. Learning a lot!

Last edited by black sc; 12-04-01 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-04-01 | 07:15 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

BlackSC, a 300ZX fan too... We had a 300 ZX 2+2(with X pipe set up, muffs, stillen headers, cone filter, center force clutch, etc..), and 300 ZXTT(not cats, flowmaster, JWT ecu, free flow, etc..)... These are great cars! I am going to get one for my son in a year as his first car, if I don't give him the SC4..

How do ya' feel about the new Zcar? I think it is going to be a big HIT... Why did you sell your "Z"?

I'm always learning on CL!!!

The Ikon
Old 12-04-01 | 02:27 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

On Dynos for Mustang GTs (4.6 Modular), most people get plenty of power across the band from just an X-Pipe (2.5" offroad). I know they have 0.6L more than we have, but they dont lose low end from the dynos I have seem. I think we should be fine with no cats, 2.5" X-Pipe, and stock mufflers soundwise and performance wise.

This article seemed pretty good if you guys want to read it (about X vs H, but of course it may be biased):

http://www.magnaflow.com/05magazine/05racepgs.htm
Old 12-04-01 | 03:57 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Ikon, I'm seriously considering ordering one

Its a toss up between it and the RX-8 (or the RX-7 replacement when it comes out)
If the Z doesn't weigh much I'll be getting one definitely
Old 12-04-01 | 07:13 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Originally posted by The Ikon
BlackSC, a 300ZX fan too... We had a 300 ZX 2+2(with X pipe set up, muffs, stillen headers, cone filter, center force clutch, etc..), and 300 ZXTT(not cats, flowmaster, JWT ecu, free flow, etc..)... These are great cars! I am going to get one for my son in a year as his first car, if I don't give him the SC4..

How do ya' feel about the new Zcar? I think it is going to be a big HIT... Why did you sell your "Z"?

I'm always learning on CL!!!

The Ikon
The last Z car was a good car. How do I feel about the new Z? I've only read a little about it and saw concept drawings. It looks like Audi TT but cheaper. How do I feel about it? I have no idea until, it comes out. In the meantime, I would check out the Subaru WRX if, you can get your hands on one for next year.

Check out the insurance before, getting the car for your Son. It may be well worth it.
Old 12-04-01 | 07:29 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Xpipes...

You don't have to order up Joe's hot rod crossover pipe... the car already has something similar. The point is to use the thrust of the right side's exhaust gas motion to create a momentary vacuum for which the gas from the left will get sucked and vice versa. The way it is stock, it's useless because the pipes are mashed into a small inlet, they're half-moon shaped when you cut off the old cat!
The solution is to get a good exhaust shop to put both pipes into a coupling on a large single input dual output catalytic convertor AFTER the mashed down parts are cut back to where the pipes are normal shape again (it isn't far). If you're the cat removing type you can simply hack off the whole thing and make it into a crossover pipe. I personally don't see any reason to increase exhaust pipe size with the stock exhaust manifolds... it'd only make sense if there were headers for the car with larger outlets... Otherwise you make more room for ever cooler and denser exhaust gases, and it's pointless to screw with the stock design except for that choke point and the mufflers.
Old 12-06-01 | 01:46 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Jacked-up OEM design

This is the stock header inlet
Attached Thumbnails Mufflers/Cats Questions-badexh.jpg  
Old 12-06-01 | 01:57 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

This is one that doesn't mash the pipes, and is larger.
Attached Thumbnails Mufflers/Cats Questions-goodexh1.jpg  
Old 12-06-01 | 06:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

You've only seen concept drawings when they've already released the final display model? the interior is very very nice... and the exterior is sweet too

this final model is WAY better than the concept they had before
it should be faster than the TTZ was
Old 12-06-01 | 11:23 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

***Matt that was a good article... It had data and a great writer, either way they work... I used X pipe on my other car and I guess it'll do fine a Lex V8...

***Bean, I agree with ya' the design is sweet. The silhouette is like a 90's Z if you put one side by side. Except the Acura CL rear lights. Other than that it is super! Nissan is going to make this Z right from the start as did they on the last ZX.

The Z looks better than the RX8 IMO... Plus a convertible Z will be a year down the road and maybe the 2+2!!!

If I do not get the new Z, I am going to get a 97' or 98' Jag XK8... These are IMO the most beautiful cars in the world(It was the 92 - 96 SC)!!!

***Blk SC, on the insurance issue, a 90 or 91 ZX non turbo will be about the same as a new Mustang, Eclispe, Celica etc.. Plus the Z is a real car!!!

The WRX is a great lil' car, but the look is not for me...
Old 11-23-02 | 07:40 PM
machinegt
Pole Position

do flowmaster mufflers sound good on the sc400s?
i like the flowmaster 30 series sound