Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just Finished 5 Speed Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 05:54 AM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deceptik1
Can you swap guys let me know if the auto and 5 speed drive shafts are the same? I've read various threads and some say they are different and others say they are identical.
The auto and 5 speed driveshafts are similar.........but NOT the same. The rear section of the 2 driveshafts are the exact same. The front sections are different in length.

Here, I hope these pictures help some.

5 speed on left, auto on right

As you can see in this pic, both rear sections are the same length

In this one, the front sections are diff. lengths. The manual shaft is longer b/c the manual tranny is shorter. 5 speed on left, auto on the right.

Hope that helps anyone.
Old 04-09-07, 05:58 AM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

Originally Posted by armyastro
i also did the swap with a w58 trans and the wiring is easy.. for the reverse lights there is a reverse switch on the left side(drivers side) of the tranny and has 2 wires.. find the power source wire for your lights(black and red i think) look at scematics to make sure. it is located next to your shifter right behind it. and find a 12v source.. then add 2 wires one on each wire of the reverse switch... run one to the power source and the other to your reverse light wire. the only other wiring needed is the clutch/neutral safty wires... same thing.. add a wire to the two wires off the neutral switch and run them to your clutch switch or just jump them together.. but it will start without pressing clutch. and the overdrive light just remove the bulb. if you have trac you cant turn it off unless you unplug the trac motor on the throttle body, and the memory seats and steering whell wont work either because you cant put it in park to set them... i have the sc300 5 speed ecu is someone wants it... the auto works but the timing gets screwy
I'll have to check my wiring. My traction control works w/ my on/off button in my console....? My steering wheel also works just fine. Moves up and down everytime I insert or remove the key. Same position.
Old 04-09-07, 07:59 AM
armyastro
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC_DRIFTER
I'll have to check my wiring. My traction control works w/ my on/off button in my console....? My steering wheel also works just fine. Moves up and down everytime I insert or remove the key. Same position.
mine will too if i jump the neutral saftey plug to make the auto ecu think it is in park but i also swapped to a 5 speed ecu...maybe that is why
Old 04-10-07, 05:19 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_DRIFTER
The auto and 5 speed driveshafts are similar.........but NOT the same. The rear section of the 2 driveshafts are the exact same. The front sections are different in length.

Here, I hope these pictures help some.

5 speed on left, auto on right

As you can see in this pic, both rear sections are the same length

In this one, the front sections are diff. lengths. The manual shaft is longer b/c the manual tranny is shorter. 5 speed on left, auto on the right.

Hope that helps anyone.
Thanks for the definitive answer.
Old 04-10-07, 09:43 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
Yea.. what an idiot that guy must be, eh?

Everything seems to be working pretty well right now though, so it's all good.

Yea, I'd have to agree that the swap isn't bad at all. The line from the slave cylinder to the master cylinder consists of 3 sections. There is a short hard line connected to the slave, which is connected to a soft line, which is then connected to a pretty long hard line that leads up to the master cylinder. Bleeding is easy and simple- just like bleeding any other clutch or brake system.

You can also adjust the engagement point of the clutch and the overall height of the clutch pedal as well. If anyone has questions regarding the auto to manual swap, feel free to PM me as well.

Allen
Did you swap in a later 95+ W58 trans? I'm going to try swapping 92 5-speed parts into my 97.
Old 04-11-07, 10:30 AM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
Did you swap in a later 95+ W58 trans? I'm going to try swapping 92 5-speed parts into my 97.
I swapped in a trans from a 92. I'm not sure of the differences between the years of W58's. Maybe someone else can chime in and say.

Side Note: I've been working on a "How To" for the 5 speed swap. I'm putting it into a website, so bare with me and I'll try to have it done by the end of the week.
Old 04-11-07, 10:52 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to jack the thread, but I just finished my swap as well, and in doing a 1jz swap at the same time, I realized the tranny sits a bit forward. I had to cut the tunnel a little bit for the shifter to fit inside the car.

I also noticed that the hard line was bent beyond recognition, so I just bent it so it would fit, and be out of the way enough to work. Zip ties FTW.
Old 04-12-07, 05:28 AM
SC_DRIFTER
Pole Position

Yeah, I had to rebend my hard line as well.

I also noticed when I lined up my W58 tranny that it was sitting about 3-4 inches forward of the automatic shifter opening in the tranny tunnel.

So I needed to cut out a new opening for the manual shifter. If you look on the interior side of the tranny tunnel you can see 4 dimples where the manual shifter opening needs to be cut out. I just drew a template that would allow a big enough opening for the throw in the shifter and cut it out.

I also fab'd and welded in a plate to cover the opening that was left by the automatic shifter.
Old 12-14-07, 08:54 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it just me or could you get struck by lighting twice???

I just completed a 5 speed swap on my 99 SC300 and now I got the check engine light on.
I put my scan tool on an got five codes ( P753 , P758 , P1755 , P1760 , P1765 ) all these codes are related to the transmission.
I did a 5 speed swap on a 95 SC300 and got four codes that were also transmission related. I put a complete wire harness from a 96 SC300 and was able to put my scan tool on that car to get the codes. That car is sold now.
My question is to all that have done a 5 speed swap on a SC300 or SC400.
Did the check engine light come on? what did you do to solve this problem? Is there a way to make the ECU think that there is an automatic transmission still hooked up to get the check engine light to go off? I know that a few of the members would say just unplug the light. I am in NYC and in order to get my emissions sticker the check engine light has to be off as far as I know. I think from 96 up because they plug into the OBD11 port of emissions.

Old 12-14-07, 10:23 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Engine Light??

This is what I was able to find out so far by looking in the repair manual that I have that is for a 97 SC3/SC4
I found this in the A340E(2jz-ge)automatic Transmission - Troubleshooting

My five codes ( PO753 - PO758 - PO1755 - PO1760 - PO1765 )

DTC CHART
PO753 - Shift solenoid "A" Malfunction (Shift Solenoid Valve No.1)
Trouble Area
Open or Short in shift solenoid valve No.1 circuit
PO758 - Shift solenoid "A" Malfunction (Shift Solenoid Valve No.2)
Trouble Area
Open or Short in shift solenoid valve No.2 circuit

(a)Soleonoid resistance is 8 OHMS or less short circuit when solenoid is energized.
(b)Soleonoid resistance is 100 kOHMS or more open circuit when solenoid is not energized.

From the repair manual it shows the pin in / out and the plugs that goes to the solenoids. From the solenoids there is resistance that is in the automatic transmission. This resistance is what is what the ECU is looking for. This is what I am thinking I might be wrong. Please chime in if I am wrong.

The other code I don't know what they are yet but I think that it might be due to the fact that I did not hook up the speed sensor yet. The 99 SC300 automatic transmission Has three wires and the W58 only has two wires. If anyone knows what wires goes to what please help.

If others after doing the auto to manual swap please chime in so that if this is a problem that is with all the swaps we can find answers to help all at Club Lexus.
Is this true or not?
When the check Engine Light is on does the ECU go into some sort of LIMP MODE?
Thank for all the input