Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: how long did it take you to get your 1jz swap in?
never really finished
15.71%
a few weeks
25.71%
a few days
37.14%
i dont get dirty my mechanic does
21.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

for the 1jz swappers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 10:43 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its nothing too hard to do .a little common sense and searching will help .not all 1j swaps are the same different years require different wiring .like everyone said installing the engine is a peice of cake .the wiring is a bit time consuming though
Old 04-19-07, 01:38 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino78h
i were woudering can the w58 yoke pigtail fit onto the r154?if so would that be cheaper and easy part to finds?
Nope.. only thing that works is a mk3 turbo supra front drive shaft (they came with the r154)
Old 04-19-07, 02:08 PM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

something like 4 weeks?
using ~4 days of one, and then just weekends of the others(sat's only pretty much)
it's a fairly simple swap
if everything is there, i dont see why it can't be done is less then a day.
Old 04-19-07, 02:18 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

we should talk to some mods to make a 1j specific section .it will make searching much more easier for those who complain about not getting answers
Old 04-19-07, 02:21 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc250tt
we should talk to some mods to make a 1j specific section .it will make searching much more easier for those who complain about not getting answers
I was thinking the same thing or at least a 1J question and swap guide stickey
Old 04-19-07, 02:31 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

when you really look at it we dont have a place anywhere .soarercentral helps a little but they cant help when it comes to swaps .supraforums helps but its not for sc's its for supras .all the questions ive asked about minor problems never helped it was always something else wrong with it .oh well i guess its only us we can really rely on to get issues solved
Old 04-19-07, 05:46 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed. club na-t is helpful but moves slowly with responses usually.
Old 04-21-07, 08:40 PM
sc300nattt
Driver School Candidate

Questions, Since I'd just bought a 1jz motor this week !!!! =)
1: can you use you use the stock (body) sc300 wire harness w/ the TT soarer engine harness?

2: using the w58 tranny which cars can i get the pedal assembly from to use in my sc300?
Old 04-30-07, 03:03 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rocessk3
im glad someone startde this thread because i was wondering about this too. i would like to know about the wiring issue as well, i have heard dropping the motor in is nothing, its the wiring thats a *****. it would be nice to have and idea of what im getting myself into.
I debated wether to get a 1jz or to Na-T for a while. I decided to go the Na-t route. Mainly due to the fact that i knew i could do the work myself. But also knew that for me, the wiring would require having to pay someone to do it.
But heres something i ran across the other day. That may save alot of time. Basically Its a 1jz patch harness. Im not sure the length of the soarer harness. But the supra one happens to be 18'' .
So i saved the link,in case i ever do decide to switch to a 1jz .
http://www.autosportwiring.com/toyota.htm
Old 04-30-07, 08:13 AM
dubstar
Pole Position

it took a couple days for me and my mechanic to finish mine. i started with a whole soarer front clip ...definitely made things a whole lot easier. we didn't even have to extend the wiring harness or anything. i don't think we ran into any major problems besides the temp and tach. i would advise a front clip for the swap. makes things sooooo much easier
Old 05-01-07, 02:07 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dubstar
it took a couple days for me and my mechanic to finish mine. i started with a whole soarer front clip ...definitely made things a whole lot easier. we didn't even have to extend the wiring harness or anything. i don't think we ran into any major problems besides the temp and tach. i would advise a front clip for the swap. makes things sooooo much easier
A clip just means you have to pull ONE more motor out. really isnt any easier with a clip at all, I have done a few other swaps with clips and its just a pain in the *** (and more $ to ship)

If anything it only helps to see how everything is mounted in the engine bay or in most cases clips have every part you need and more. but you get every little thing from a reputable distributor too.
Old 05-01-07, 02:19 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CantSeeMe
I debated wether to get a 1jz or to Na-T for a while. I decided to go the Na-t route. Mainly due to the fact that i knew i could do the work myself. But also knew that for me, the wiring would require having to pay someone to do it.
But heres something i ran across the other day. That may save alot of time. Basically Its a 1jz patch harness. Im not sure the length of the soarer harness. But the supra one happens to be 18'' .
So i saved the link,in case i ever do decide to switch to a 1jz .
http://www.autosportwiring.com/toyota.htm
I plan on getting that patch harness very soon myself. You will still have to extend body plugs all this patch harness does is extend where the computer sits making it easier to get to. Another good feature of the patch harness is that they can color code different wires you will need to patch in piggy back systems like safc, bcc, scc etc.
Old 05-02-07, 09:24 AM
dubstar
Pole Position

well, when you can get an entire soarer clip for only $900 ...kinda makes the work easier knowing you didnt spend that much
Old 05-02-07, 10:41 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dubstar
well, when you can get an entire soarer clip for only $900 ...kinda makes the work easier knowing you didnt spend that much
where?

I've seen motor/tranny's for that, but never a complete clip...
Old 05-02-07, 11:38 AM
dubstar
Pole Position

just got lucky on ebay. havent ran into one problem with the motor yet ::knocks on wood:: and had it swapped for about 6 months now.

Quick Reply: for the 1jz swappers