Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Crazy Crank Pulley Issue!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 06:26 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Crazy Crank Pulley Issue!!

Ok so this past month my SC has been having some problems so Ive been slowly trying to take care of them one by one. Here is the story..

My SC was parked in my garage for a month because my clutch went out. I got a stage 2 Clutch that I just finished installing yesterday afternoon. Next I had to replace my battery because it had gotten caught on the power steering pully and cut a huge hole on the side of the battery. I got that replaced. So now everything was done. The clutch was in and the new battery was hooked up. I tried to start it but It wont start. I cracked up for like 30 mins. I knew there was so much stuff in the motor from having it sit for a while so I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs with some NGK iridiums. I crank it and it fires up like a beast. So next I take it on the freeway for a little test drive. Im on first gear and I punch it. I then start to hear a whipping sound and them everything powered by the drivebelt starts to shut off. (PS, ALT.,WP) So then I limp it home to safety and replace the drive belt.

As I go to start it up I notice that the crank pulley is completely bald!! At first I thought nothing of it so I proceeded to put on the new drive belt. I start the car and I hear nothing but loud screething and thats when I knew it was time to replace the crank pulley.

Has anyone ever gotten a stripped or bald crank pulley??? I know they have grooves so the belt can go through them but my just disappeared! I can run my finger through it and I could tell that there used to be grooves there. What could have caused this happen???

Lucky for me I had my UR crank pulley sitting up in my desk for about a month so now would be a perfect time to install.
Old 04-26-07, 07:09 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen that, I have heard of the wrong belt being run and “smoothing” out some of the groves but not all of them and leaving the pulley flat. That’s a new one.
Old 04-26-07, 07:46 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I called my friend with a 1000hp Supra and even he couldnt believe it.
Old 04-26-07, 08:06 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

happend to me, buy the outer ring on my crank pulley fell off and the belt sliped onto the inner ring, the other pulley ring was sitting on the plastic tray i drove the car a while b4 i noticed, the blet had made groves on the innering.

pix

Last edited by $C300; 04-26-07 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-26-07, 09:44 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah thats exactly what happened to mine. The crank pulley is bald and smoothed out. I dont have that other ring though. The one with the 4 holes on it. Is that what could have cause this to happen? Also how the hell did you remove the bolt? I tried having someone hit the brake while in gear but the crank kept turning. Ive tried doing it the savage way which is to crank the motor with the wrench and breaker bar on the pulley bolt. I dont know what else to do and I have to get this car running asap!
Old 04-26-07, 11:47 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Default This is what i did/used

I spent about 3 hours trying to get the dam thing off, try just about every thing, and the only combination that worked was PB BLASTER and a 1/2in impact gun @ 150 PSI with a few drops of hydraulic fluid in the gun. But to fit the 1/2in impact u need to remove the radiator and the shroud, shouldn’t take you more than an hour / hour and a half. (dont forget to tightin and losen the bolt to get it to start turning go both ways)
Old 04-26-07, 11:53 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the pulley seperated at the rubber dampner portion. Happens from time to time.
To remove the bolt I recommend a really good impact wrench. If no can do, remove the clutch inspection plate and put in a large screwdriver or flywheel lock in the gears and housing to hold the crank in place and then remove the bolt with a braker bar. Be careful not to break any teeth on the flywheel.
Old 04-27-07, 03:28 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Sounds like the pulley seperated at the rubber dampner portion. Happens from time to time.
To remove the bolt I recommend a really good impact wrench. If no can do, remove the clutch inspection plate and put in a large screwdriver or flywheel lock in the gears and housing to hold the crank in place and then remove the bolt with a braker bar. Be careful not to break any teeth on the flywheel.
I cant believe it happened to me. Ive been replacing alot of parts in the past two weeks. The car hasnt been driven in over a month. I want to drive it already. I'll give the crank pulley another shot before I give up and call a professional mechanic to come remove it for me.