Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apex-i S-AFC NEO

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 06:21 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
Ok, so I'd still need a wideband even if the dyno has a lambda reader? I think I'm content with sticking with the stock injectors for the time being, so I'll be picking up an S-AFC II or NEO this week and hopefully that will be sufficient in getting a nice tune for good power and smooth driveability. I heard the S-AFC models can also compensate for a blow off that vents to the atmoshphere, so hopefully that will go well also since I have an HKS SSQV to add to the BL stage 1 kit.
I do custom tuning with all sorts of piggybacks and standalone EMS's here in ATL, and never require that the customer has a wideband in the car. The dyno itself has a wideband, so I just plum it in and tune away. Now if you WANT to put a wideband in to monitor it, that's up to you, but not necessary by any means. At any rate, the SAFC can do a bit of compensation for vented BOV's using the "decel air" function, but it doesn't always do much to help.
Old 05-08-07, 06:29 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

So I guess this is the reason that you'd want a wideband, huh? That way you'd really be adle to watch the air and fuel to make sure there's not an unsafe amount of airflow out to cause advancing in timing? I'm sorry for the noob feel I must be giving off, but I'm just trying to figure this all out and make the right conclusions from what I've learned.

Thank you to everyone who added to the thread.
To answer this question as well, a wideband doesn't help you to see how much timing you've got in the car. A datalogger, or an EMS that has a datalogger would be the tool you need to do that job. I've been in situations when I'm tuning customer cars, and I don't have that either, and I need to get an idea of how much timing advance I'm getting, and there is another way to get an "idea" of where you're at. What you can do is hook up a timing light, while the car is doing a pull on the dyno, and watch the timing mark to see where it goes to, while the person in the car watches the RPM. That'll get you a ballpark estimate of where you're at. Obviously a logger is best, but if you're really worried, you can use the above method.
Old 05-08-07, 11:03 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot TTSC3 for all of the help. So after tuning a lot of cars have you run into a situation similar to mine where it's just the turbo kit (BL stage 1 in my case), a blow off, and a piggy back fuel controller? Also, which of the S-AFC models would you recommend as I'm sure you've had experiences with a few different ones? From a tuner's standpoint which is the best? Thanks.
Old 05-08-07, 12:06 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Thanks a lot TTSC3 for all of the help. So after tuning a lot of cars have you run into a situation similar to mine where it's just the turbo kit (BL stage 1 in my case), a blow off, and a piggy back fuel controller? Also, which of the S-AFC models would you recommend as I'm sure you've had experiences with a few different ones? From a tuner's standpoint which is the best? Thanks.
No problem, anytime man. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with using an SAFC or some other piggyback with a setup like yours. Infact, a setup like yours normally works great with piggybacks, and more often than not, it's what's suggested. The SAFC Neo isn't much of an upgrade over the previous version. All they did was consolidate both the VAFC and SAFC into one unit...probably because the VAFC wasn't as popular of a sell as the SAFC. The Neo has the ability to alter the Vtec on/off point for the appropriate cars. I would just buy an SAFC 2, and be done with it, but if you got a Neo, it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 05-08-07, 10:18 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Thanks again TTSC3. I'm searching around for the best price on a S-AFC II. Any difference between the blue one and the black?
Old 05-08-07, 11:32 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Thanks again TTSC3. I'm searching around for the best price on a S-AFC II. Any difference between the blue one and the black?
No difference, just a matter of color preference. I'm kinda partial to the black one, but that's just me!
Old 05-09-07, 04:56 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

I like the black one better too. That's what I'm trying to get my hands on right now.
Old 05-10-07, 01:20 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Who's got the cheapest price on a black S-AFC II (in stock)? Anyone know?
Old 05-10-07, 06:33 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

I'd look on Ebay or something. I've bought them from there before and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 05-10-07, 11:29 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

I was hoping to get a new one, but maybe a used one will be fine. I'll check around some more. Thanks...
Old 05-11-07, 12:02 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

I was hoping to get a new one, but maybe a used one will be fine. I'll check around some more. Thanks...
There are brand new ones on Ebay. I've never bought one used off ebay. Just do a search on there, and you'll see a bunch of brand new ones come up.
Old 05-11-07, 11:06 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Cool, I'll do the search for the new ones. Also, if I weld on an HKS SSQV and vent it to the atmospere I heard that I will have a problem with stalling when going from cruising speeds to a stop. Also, reving it up past 4k rpms and letting off will cause a stall out as well. Is this going to be an issue if I just put the kit on without the BOV? Have you encountered this issue when working on any other 2jz NA-T setups?
Old 05-12-07, 06:34 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool, I'll do the search for the new ones. Also, if I weld on an HKS SSQV and vent it to the atmospere I heard that I will have a problem with stalling when going from cruising speeds to a stop. Also, reving it up past 4k rpms and letting off will cause a stall out as well. Is this going to be an issue if I just put the kit on without the BOV? Have you encountered this issue when working on any other 2jz NA-T setups?

it has to do with air metering... stock ECU'd turbo eclipses do the same thing...

when air enters the intake system, it is metered by a mass air flow meter (or similar, depending on car)... once it's been metered, the ecu knows it is in the system and adds fuel for it... in a stock operating style setup, the air that is vented by a BOV/BPV goes back into the intake system pre-turbo but after the mass air flow sensor (the has already been counted)...

when you run a vent to atmosphere valve, the ecu still thinks that air is in the system, so it causes a momentary rich condition... enough to stall a car if throttle isn't applied...

the s-afc2 has a throttle decel function that is supposed to make up for this, but I never was able to make it work well, so I just ran a stock style bov - vented back to the intake, and zero problems...
Old 05-12-07, 12:02 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
it has to do with air metering... stock ECU'd turbo eclipses do the same thing...

when air enters the intake system, it is metered by a mass air flow meter (or similar, depending on car)... once it's been metered, the ecu knows it is in the system and adds fuel for it... in a stock operating style setup, the air that is vented by a BOV/BPV goes back into the intake system pre-turbo but after the mass air flow sensor (the has already been counted)...

when you run a vent to atmosphere valve, the ecu still thinks that air is in the system, so it causes a momentary rich condition... enough to stall a car if throttle isn't applied...

the s-afc2 has a throttle decel function that is supposed to make up for this, but I never was able to make it work well, so I just ran a stock style bov - vented back to the intake, and zero problems...
Decell Air doesn't work on DSM's, but I have gotten it to work on Supras, so it might work. It's not perfect by any means, but it should do the trick. Also, as with 4G's, the venting to atmosphere doesn't always cause this problem. It's pretty much hit or miss.
Old 05-12-07, 12:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTSC3
Decell Air doesn't work on DSM's, but I have gotten it to work on Supras, so it might work. It's not perfect by any means, but it should do the trick. Also, as with 4G's, the venting to atmosphere doesn't always cause this problem. It's pretty much hit or miss.
Good info - I never knew that about the DSM's...

Yah, the EVO's don't seem to have a problem either... Never messed with a 4g above the intake / exhaust route...

Quick Reply: Apex-i S-AFC NEO