Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apex-i S-AFC NEO

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 04:16 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of valve does the Boostlogic kit run? I am assuming that it's a bypass valve that recirculates back into the intake. If so, then there shouldn't be any stalling issues or need for the decell feature on the S-AFCII or Neo, right? I would only be running into the stalling issues if I decide to use the HKS SSQV and let it vent to the atmosphere, right?

Last edited by GoCarSc300; 05-14-07 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-14-07, 01:33 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

help please...anyone?
Old 05-14-07, 06:42 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

never seen the boostlogic kit, but everything that boostlogic does or builds seems to be top notch... I would assume it's done the right way... (recirculate)

but honestly, with a friends Supra and a vent to atmosphere BOV, and nothing to compensate for it, it wasn't horrible by any means.. his was auto, and It only died on me once when I accelerated quickly from one stoplight, then the next turned red, I let off abruptly, and it died... nothing bad, throw it in neutral, restart...

most of the time when it stumbled it would catch itself...
Old 05-14-07, 11:55 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Alright, thanks. I think I'm gonna call Kean at Boostlogic tomorrow and ask him to make sure. I think it's recirculated, but it never hurts to ask so you can know for sure.
Old 05-15-07, 12:11 AM
breed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

keep use posted GoCarSc300 , Thankx TTSC3 & mitsuguy your inf helped. Im working on my NA-t kit now, i decided to go with the SAFC 2 also. GoCarSc300 if you find a wiring diagram let me know.
Old 05-15-07, 11:24 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Will do breed... and I didn't get a chance to call Boostlogic today. I most likely will tomorrow and then I'll let you guys know what happens...
Old 05-16-07, 10:58 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

I talked to Kean at Boostlogic today and the turbo kit doesn't have any type of blow off valve or bypass valve at all. He said that so many people use different BOVs and BPVs that they do not include one with their kit. He does recommend getting one in order to relieve stress on the turbo, but at low boost it is not absolutely necessary. He said as far as getting a good tune on with a BOV (without going the whole AEM EMS route) a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate or MAP-ECU 2 would work nicely. Both of these systems change the MAF system and then it's read from the intake manifold (I think). Without the MAF system a BOV could be vented to the atmosphere or recirculated without stalling issues.
Old 05-16-07, 11:45 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a wideband o2 sensor and a egt gauge is what is needed to tune your car u need to keep an eye out on the egt so u dont over heat and melt pistons.

optimal for a/f is 12.5:1 at wot and stoich is 14.7:1 keep it at 11.5:1 to 12.5:1 thats optimal for tuning turbo
Old 05-17-07, 03:39 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

thanks sc drita for the input... I'll keep those numbers in mind and let the tuner know as well to see what he thinks...
Old 05-17-07, 05:28 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
thanks sc drita for the input... I'll keep those numbers in mind and let the tuner know as well to see what he thinks...
DO NOT, tune to 12.5 on pump gas. 11.5 is where you need to be, with it tapering down towards the top of the powerband. If for some reason you get a boost leak, the car will go lean and that will be bad.
Old 05-17-07, 05:30 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

I talked to Kean at Boostlogic today and the turbo kit doesn't have any type of blow off valve or bypass valve at all. He said that so many people use different BOVs and BPVs that they do not include one with their kit. He does recommend getting one in order to relieve stress on the turbo, but at low boost it is not absolutely necessary. He said as far as getting a good tune on with a BOV (without going the whole AEM EMS route) a Greddy E-Manage Ultimate or MAP-ECU 2 would work nicely. Both of these systems change the MAF system and then it's read from the intake manifold (I think). Without the MAF system a BOV could be vented to the atmosphere or recirculated without stalling issues.
They read from the manifold because they run speed density. SAFC is for MAF tuning, not MAP. While either of those will work fine, but an SAFC is all you really need.
Old 05-18-07, 09:59 AM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

I am just worried about the fact that with the SAFC it keeps the MAF and does not change it to speed density, so if I do weld the BOV onto the IC piping I'm gonna have the stalling issues. Even with the decell air feature on the SAFC and the recirculation kit I heard it's not always perfect, so I guess I'm being a little picky about it but I do want it to work perfectly. It makes me just want to throw the kit on without the BOV so I wouldn't have the stalling issues, but then the turbo will be stressed because there's no BOV. It should be safe on the stock boost setting of 7lbs, but I don't necessarily want to risk that either. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-18-07, 10:08 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I am just worried about the fact that with the SAFC it keeps the MAF and does not change it to speed density, so if I do weld the BOV onto the IC piping I'm gonna have the stalling issues. Even with the decell air feature on the SAFC and the recirculation kit I heard it's not always perfect, so I guess I'm being a little picky about it but I do want it to work perfectly. It makes me just want to throw the kit on without the BOV so I wouldn't have the stalling issues, but then the turbo will be stressed because there's no BOV. It should be safe on the stock boost setting of 7lbs, but I don't necessarily want to risk that either. Decisions, decisions...
with a recirculated bov, it should be perfect - there should be no stalling issues on a MAF car with recirulated bov...
Old 05-18-07, 10:13 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Well, I know on my GTE, and all the other GTE's I've done, I've used an SAFC with NO issues whatsover. The other GE turbo kits I've tuned also came out fine with an SAFC, but were also using a GM MAF...another fuel piggyback that can comp for injector size, but still a maf nonetheless. I don't think it'll be a problem, but if you're intent on running speed density, don't waste your time with an Emanage or MAP ecu, just get an AEM and do it right.
Old 05-19-07, 06:10 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Thanks guys. I think I'll go the SAFC route and hope that that the recirculation back to the intake works out. I'll keep you posted. It should be a few weeks and then I'll get that bad boy in the SC.

Quick Reply: Apex-i S-AFC NEO