Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1J Issue (NO POWER) fresh swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 04:25 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Are the turbos making howling noises by any chance?
Old 05-12-07, 07:56 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

my vote goes either for locked up turbos (first guess) or potentially a bad wastegate that is stuck open...
Old 05-12-07, 08:26 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had some loose IC piping come off and my car did the same thing. I had to pull over. The car totally idled fine. I just couldn’t drive it. I couldn’t get it to produce enough power to get the car going and back on the road. It was obvious something was very wrong. Turned out a loose IC Pipe came off, I don’t remember which one. But it fixed it. I got lucky. The car still ran a little funny afterwards, still was not 100%. Felt more like 90%. Turns out pulling the bat terminal off and after a min or so put it back on to reset the ECU. Worked like a charm.

Hope your issue turns out to be as easy as that. Check your wastegate too.
Regards.

Nice swap BTW
Old 05-12-07, 08:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
I had some loose IC piping come off and my car did the same thing. I had to pull over. The car totally idled fine. I just couldn’t drive it. I couldn’t get it to produce enough power to get the car going and back on the road. It was obvious something was very wrong. Turned out a loose IC Pipe came off, I don’t remember which one. But it fixed it. I got lucky. The car still ran a little funny afterwards, still was not 100%. Felt more like 90%. Turns out pulling the bat terminal off and after a min or so put it back on to reset the ECU. Worked like a charm.

Hope your issue turns out to be as easy as that. Check your wastegate too.
Regards.

Nice swap BTW
another viable alternative...
Old 05-17-07, 01:36 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE... along with checking other things I decided to check to make sure the throttle was opening fully. I disconnected the intercooler pipe that goes to the intake manifold. I decided to drive the car with is disconnected. The car went from feeling like it has 50 hp to 150 hp. I take it its fair to assume that the turbos are TOAST.. correct??
Old 05-17-07, 02:01 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yelloa3gti
UPDATE... along with checking other things I decided to check to make sure the throttle was opening fully. I disconnected the intercooler pipe that goes to the intake manifold. I decided to drive the car with is disconnected. The car went from feeling like it has 50 hp to 150 hp. I take it its fair to assume that the turbos are TOAST.. correct??
if you rev it is it howling? when turbos are bad they sound like a wolf
Old 05-17-07, 02:07 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

no noise at all.. i think they just may be locked up.. i need to pull it appart and see for sure though
Old 05-18-07, 11:22 AM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

sounds like bad turbos to me.
Old 05-18-07, 11:35 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your turbos should whistle a little bit somewhere around 1500 rpm or so as they start to spool-- if you hear nothing but silence from them, most likely they're siezed--

A fresh pair is prob the easiest way to go, as they boost so quickly and will handle 14~ psi regularly -- that's enough for a good bit of power-- for now anyway-- until you get it running perfectly-- which I would do before going single, but it's your money-- and it might be just as easy to just go single with an ebay manifold-- maybe just as cheap too-- especially if you can weld --
Old 05-18-07, 09:14 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

At about 95mph under full throttle, I let off the gas and heard a "psssss" sound. The car felt like it had about 50 hp afterwards and had a huge whistle above 2000 rpm. I had blown an intercooler hose off, and everything worked fine after I reconnected it. I dont know why you would have more hp after disconnecting an IC hose...

No vacuum leaks, right?
Old 05-19-07, 04:42 PM
gsxrjjorda
Driver School Candidate

It's most likely not a vacuum leak, because it idles well and revs in neutral well. Without the intercooler piping connected, the car's not reading any air through the MAF, so it should run like ****, if at all. Disconnect the intake piping from the turbos and get fingers on the shafts, that'll tell you everything you need to know (if they move in and out, more than about 1/4" you're fuxed, and if they move around enough for the blades to touch the housing you're fuxed, and if they don't move you're fuxed).

It could also be a timing issue, but again because you say it idles and revs in neutral perfectly I'm leaning toward siezed turbos.
Old 05-21-07, 08:00 AM
ranger2339
Driver

Mkae suer there is no junk in your IC pipes! Ha i have seen that happen. Like people leaving a rag and or something in there.

But if you cant hear the 1Js turbos spool at all, then they are prob. seized up. Thats one thing about the stock twins, you can hear them spool up..If you cant them ummm ya, get some new used ones.

Ax
Old 05-22-07, 11:47 AM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

ok.. well today i took apart eveything to look at the turbo ( front one because back one is too hard to get to) and the turbo spins freely with minimal shaft play. I start the car and the turbo spins..rev it up it spins faster and blow air. I put my hand to the piping for the back turbo and it does the same.. sucks and blows air just how it should. also all the turbo piping is clean and nothing is blocking it.

oh yea.. all kinds of nice turbo sounds then it was all off.. never hear any turbo noise at all with it all together

IM SO DAMN LOST.. help me people
Old 05-22-07, 12:05 PM
armyastro
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i had the same problem but it idled badly... i had 2 bad turbos and they spin and made pressure but when the pressure built up they stopped turning and you cant see that with the piping off.... i also had some coils that arced to ground under boost/strain and high rpm. i have a few turbos here and 2 good ones on fleabay ending today.. and 2 more on the car getting ready to come off this weekend for the single swap.
Old 05-22-07, 05:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

wow that sux man, hope you figure out whats happening. good luck bro. keep us updated.

Quick Reply: 1J Issue (NO POWER) fresh swap