Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Check Engine Light - What was your Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 08:16 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
bumping this old thread as i have same codes on my 99 SC300
p0441 & p0446
all the information you need to diagnose that is listed in post #17 and #19 above... you won't get any more detailed information than that...
Old 09-27-11, 07:27 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the testing procedure mitsuguy im going to use this tomorrow to check why my 96 is throwing a p0441 code. figured this should be bumped in case people have forgotten about it
Old 09-28-11, 11:44 PM
chef05b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help. I have a '92 sc400 that is throwing a #25 code that I can't figure out. I changed fuel pump and filter already. Checked for vacuum leak between MAF and throttle body, no leak. Any thoughts of what it could be? Thinking I might have to reset codes and see if the check engine light comes back on.
Old 09-29-11, 01:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by chef05b
Need help. I have a '92 sc400 that is throwing a #25 code that I can't figure out. I changed fuel pump and filter already. Checked for vacuum leak between MAF and throttle body, no leak. Any thoughts of what it could be? Thinking I might have to reset codes and see if the check engine light comes back on.
On an OBD1 car, you must reset the codes manually... they will usually not go away on their own...

good chance you have fixed the car already, but without clearing the code, the ecu will not clear the light...
Old 10-02-11, 02:40 PM
chef05b
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
On an OBD1 car, you must reset the codes manually... they will usually not go away on their own...

good chance you have fixed the car already, but without clearing the code, the ecu will not clear the light...
Cleared the code last night and ran about 50 miles and the code came back. Just wanted to know what would be the next thing I should check? Would bad o2 sensors give a different code? Should I pull the injectors and manually clean them out or do a sea foam treatment?
Old 12-22-11, 06:33 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

My light only seems to come on at idle and generally at a stop light when the engine is idling low in drive; then when I take off it generally will go off if not immediately; soon thereafter.

I guess I need to check the codes, but wondered if anyone has seen this and speculation on what it might be? I would think the light would come on and not go off, but it almost acts like it’s detecting a low oil pressure/voltage or something?
Old 12-22-11, 07:01 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
My light only seems to come on at idle and generally at a stop light when the engine is idling low in drive; then when I take off it generally will go off if not immediately; soon thereafter.

I guess I need to check the codes, but wondered if anyone has seen this and speculation on what it might be? I would think the light would come on and not go off, but it almost acts like it’s detecting a low oil pressure/voltage or something?
impossible to even speculate really...

year make and model?
Old 12-28-11, 07:02 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Cody (or anyone here)

Maybe you can help me.

I have a 95 SC400. Back in September I replaced both of the main O2 sensors. Since then I rarely drove my SC - probably only twice or three times a month - she stayed in the garage most of the time.

About 3 weeks ago, while driving, the CEL was back on. It was code 21 - main O2 sensor (left bank)
I was thinking I had bought a faulty O2 sensors - since I got both of them on ebay. They were Denso part # 234-4211.
Is it possible one of the new main O2 sensors has gone bad that early?
Also which one is the left bank main O2 sensor? Is it the driver side?

On Christmas eve, I warmed her up in the garage. After a few minutes idling, the engine died suddenly.
Checked the EFI fuse and I found the 30 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it and she fired up right away. The CEL was gone.
Turned her off and started again and then CEL went back on.
Now I have code 21, 27 & 28.

What gives? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

PS: How long does it take to reset the CEL by pulling out the EFI fuse? Some say it has to be no less than 30 minutes. Is this right?

Last edited by Maeve; 12-28-11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-30-11, 03:23 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maeve
Hey Cody (or anyone here)

Maybe you can help me.

I have a 95 SC400. Back in September I replaced both of the main O2 sensors. Since then I rarely drove my SC - probably only twice or three times a month - she stayed in the garage most of the time.

About 3 weeks ago, while driving, the CEL was back on. It was code 21 - main O2 sensor (left bank)
I was thinking I had bought a faulty O2 sensors - since I got both of them on ebay. They were Denso part # 234-4211.
Is it possible one of the new main O2 sensors has gone bad that early?
Also which one is the left bank main O2 sensor? Is it the driver side?

On Christmas eve, I warmed her up in the garage. After a few minutes idling, the engine died suddenly.
Checked the EFI fuse and I found the 30 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it and she fired up right away. The CEL was gone.
Turned her off and started again and then CEL went back on.
Now I have code 21, 27 & 28.

What gives? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

PS: How long does it take to reset the CEL by pulling out the EFI fuse? Some say it has to be no less than 30 minutes. Is this right?
Update:

I just bought another brand new Denso O2 sensors for both main sensors. Reset the CEL and it was good for a moment. After a short drive, these code 21, 27 & 28 showed up again. This just doesn't make any sense. I don't think the sub O2 sensors are also bad or are they?

Shut the engine off and re-started again, there was no more CEL. Took her for another 30 minutes drive and nothing happened - it was good - no more CEL. But then I stopped to get some fuel and after that the CEL was throwing the same codes (21, 27 & 28) again.

Now I'm leaning towards the bad ECU. Btw, my SC has 176,000 miles.

I will update later.
Old 01-02-12, 01:19 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maeve
Update:

I just bought another brand new Denso O2 sensors for both main sensors. Reset the CEL and it was good for a moment. After a short drive, these code 21, 27 & 28 showed up again. This just doesn't make any sense. I don't think the sub O2 sensors are also bad or are they?

Shut the engine off and re-started again, there was no more CEL. Took her for another 30 minutes drive and nothing happened - it was good - no more CEL. But then I stopped to get some fuel and after that the CEL was throwing the same codes (21, 27 & 28) again.

Now I'm leaning towards the bad ECU. Btw, my SC has 176,000 miles.

I will update later.
2nd Update:

I pulled out the engine ECU and this is what I found:

No wonder the 30amp ECU fuse was blown the other day, but then why is she still running?

I also think the previous owner installed a remanufactured engine ECU.

Anyone selling a 1995 Engine ECU? Let me know.
I also created a thread: [WTB] 1995 SC400 ECU (for CA specs only)
Old 01-03-12, 08:35 PM
johnblagg
Rookie

egr modulator valve and tvv valve to egr also ...

Plus code 52 and 55 for both knock sensors which are ordered and the next project
Old 04-29-15, 09:23 PM
dricacho
Rookie

I'm also getting a code 13 but it's intermittent. I checked the cam sensor wires on both sides, neither one was cut nor damaged. I'm going to check the sensors this weekend to see if they're still up to spec. Does anyone know what's the voltage spec for the sensors?

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Code 13 RPM Signal

Cause of it?
Passenger Bank Cam Sensor wire was cut