Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What simple DIYs if you think the SC burns too much gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 07:14 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sc250tt
gas milage is gonna suck reguardless .its commom physics the car is heavy .the only way to get decent gas milage is to keep up on mantainance or get a 4 banger for daily driving
not so much...

I get 25-28 easy on the highway and just a hair less than 20 in town...
Old 05-31-07, 07:35 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
not so much...

I get 25-28 easy on the highway and just a hair less than 20 in town...
well ive owned 3 of these cars .1uz ,2jz ,and 1jz gas milage sukked on all of them i get about 20 highway and 16 or less in town .
Old 05-31-07, 07:44 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

I'm convinced my car would like to eat my Chevron card. Going from a Honda to this is a kick in the shorts. I think right now i'm getting 23-25 highway, and about 18 in town. I just bought some ngk plugs and wires. And the K&N filter with adapter. Maybe i'll get the 10 - 20% increase thats written on the box. lol probly not. I figure for anything out of town. I'm takin the civic.
Old 05-31-07, 10:16 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default plugs

UT,

I had a new set of NGK's and my milage went DOWN. This is NOT the first set of plugs I have installed and I am an NGK fan, BIGtime. I mean, Bigtime! Well, my mech said that the NGK's don't do well in the Toyota cars but they are the hot ticket in a Honda. I thought, this is the same old crap like in the sixties about AC and Champion in GM products and Fords. Still, he is MY mech and he is SMART and more importantly....experienced. I was in to see him about this subtle and mysterious, to me, miss in the engine at various rpm. His advice: Denso Plat plugs for half the cost of my NGK's. No more miss! At any rpm. And, my milage went from 22 to 24.4 on the freeway. I rechecked my NGK's gap twice after the results came in.

Shame on any of you that are using a domestic plug.

John
Old 05-31-07, 12:10 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If it's a stock Sc3, just replace the engine with hamsters. You lose like 3 hp.
hahaha, wow ... well said sir
Old 05-31-07, 12:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEd
UT,

I had a new set of NGK's and my milage went DOWN. This is NOT the first set of plugs I have installed and I am an NGK fan, BIGtime. I mean, Bigtime! Well, my mech said that the NGK's don't do well in the Toyota cars but they are the hot ticket in a Honda. I thought, this is the same old crap like in the sixties about AC and Champion in GM products and Fords. Still, he is MY mech and he is SMART and more importantly....experienced. I was in to see him about this subtle and mysterious, to me, miss in the engine at various rpm. His advice: Denso Plat plugs for half the cost of my NGK's. No more miss! At any rpm. And, my milage went from 22 to 24.4 on the freeway. I rechecked my NGK's gap twice after the results came in.

Shame on any of you that are using a domestic plug.

John

weird... I always had equal luck between the NGK and Denso plugs (so long as proper heat range was observed) even Toyota used a mix of Denso / NGK's on some of their v8 applications, Denso on one side, NGK on the other... weird, I know... at any rate, both should work pretty much the same... odd that you had problems...
Old 05-31-07, 09:02 PM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

yah i'm a huge ngk fan cause of the honda. lol . Guess i'll have to test it out. filled up tonight and city driving rang in at 20.4 mpg. maybe the K&N will help a lil. probly not.
Old 05-31-07, 11:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by kyoso23
Clean your throttle body, and clean your air sensors in the intake with Electronics Cleaner. I did it to my 4Runner and picked up 2mpg when I thought it should be doing better...
Good to know you've had success cleaning your intake sensors.
I've seen some posts claiming that the intake sensor is too fragile/sensitive to be cleaned.
What cleaner did you use, and how did you do it (in or out of car, engine on or off)?
Old 05-31-07, 11:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The air flow sensor is fragile, but if you spray the cleaner in gently, you wont have a problem.

I use CRC Mass Air Sensor cleaner. You can pick it up from Kragen/autozone/etc.
Old 05-31-07, 11:45 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default plugs

Cody/mitsuguy,

I couldn't agree with you more about the quality of the NGK plugs. It has made no sense to me either and I hope I made it clear I was a fan of NGK and still am. Except in my SC...there I use Denso.

Curious thing about the NGK's that I took out. They were colored proper and as my mech said, they were the correct plug and they were properly gapped. Funny that with all the diagnostic equip at his finger tips he went for a plug wrench first. He didn't mention to me that each plug had a "rust colored smear" that ran around the plug where the metal is crimped to the porcelain. It looked like the plug was leaking combustion gas past the seal and was blowing water up the plug. I have never seen this before or even heard of it. I am the only person I have ever even heard of that had any sort of problem with NGKs except of course my professional mechanic. He couldn't have this opinion without having seen this problem(my vibration and lost milage) and resolved it. I believe I mentioned that he said that Honda products thrived on NGK and didn't like Denso. I agree it is weird.

Like Friday used to say "just the facts maam, just the facts".

John