Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 1992, Won't Start Sometimes, Bad Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 12:35 PM
BOBSOFI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 1992, Won't Start Sometimes, Bad Battery?

OK, this is a weird one, weird because Sofi talked to a mechanic that told her that it might be a weak battery problem.

The car (1992 SC400) sometimes does not stay starter, like a fuel pump won't kick in, or no spark to the plugs. It fires up, but dies. Later it will start fine.

I have not dug into her, as I thought I would check with you'all first.

any ideas?

bad battery????

thanks

Last edited by BOBSOFI; 06-02-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-02-07, 01:04 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Welcome to CL.

Please use our engine forum.

Old 06-03-07, 06:56 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

bad connections of the battery? starter solnoid?
Old 06-08-07, 06:35 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue on my 92 SC400 right now. Just replaced my battery and terminals. Starts and then rpms fall off and dies.

If give it some gas I can hold it at 1000 rpm. then it falls to 500 and a bad screeching noise starts. I am thinking the alternator is toast.
Old 06-08-07, 06:39 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
I have the same issue on my 92 SC400 right now. Just replaced my battery and terminals. Starts and then rpms fall off and dies.

If give it some gas I can hold it at 1000 rpm. then it falls to 500 and a bad screeching noise starts. I am thinking the alternator is toast.
lots of things can cause a car to start and then die...

crank / cam sensors, pcm, fuel pump

fuel pump is #1 cause in most cars...

the screeching noise could be a pulley locking up, or it could just be random that it happens with the dying of the engine...
Old 06-20-07, 08:27 AM
G LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

I have a similair probelm with my 93 SC 400. I try to start it and sometimes it will start and then sometimes it wont. It seem to hestiate at times. I have had a system hooked up to it and I think that the speakers might have been pulling to much power out of the battery and not allowing it to stay charged. I unhooked the system and now its starts but it can take longer to start. A guy at work hooked up a paperclip to two ports under the hood and the check engine light came on and blinked a code. I looked the code up and it was talking about a RPM reading. Any idea what this could be and what I could do to fix it?

Thanks

I hope to add a few pic's in the next few days.
Old 06-20-07, 08:34 AM
Blockbore
Hi I'm really JIBBBY joined under another name. And banned again.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's always a good idea to change out the neg. battery cable on the older SC's.. They became crusty and can rob you of power...

As far as your occasional starting problem I would check your factory alarm for defects...Disconnect your battery for a few minutes and alow for a reset... I have seen a few with that problem come into the dealership with that exact same problem...

Not a bad battery, not a bad fuel pump, not cam sensors. Could posibly be a a weak battery connection lead..

Open the hood and check both battery connections to make sure there is constant and firm battery contact... That's best case senerio...

Turbo Teg your problem sounds like an electrical or sensor problem in nature...Run an engine diagnostic computer check and see if something shows up... Could be an ECU or a ignition electic problem. I dought it is a weak alternator....

Good luck fellas I would need to see the cars for sure to make a 100% assessment...

Last edited by Blockbore; 06-20-07 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 09:24 AM
G LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Is the negative hook up connected to the car frame or to the starter?
Old 06-20-07, 09:41 AM
G LEXUS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blockbore
It's always a good idea to change out the neg. battery cable on the older SC's.. They became crusty and can rob you of power...

As far as your occasional starting problem I would check your factory alarm for defects...Disconnect your battery for a few minutes and alow for a reset... I have seen a few with that problem come into the dealership with that exact same problem...

Not a bad battery, not a bad fuel pump, not cam sensors. Could posibly be a a weak battery connection lead..

Open the hood and check both battery connections to make sure there is constant and firm battery contact... That's best case senerio...

Turbo Teg your problem sounds like an electrical or sensor problem in nature...Run an engine diagnostic computer check and see if something shows up... Could be an ECU or a ignition electic problem. I dought it is a weak alternator....

Good luck fellas I would need to see the cars for sure to make a 100% assessment...

So should I change out the spark plugs also? I havent done this since I have had the car. I know that it has been at least 5 years since they were changed last. Its my weekend car.

Last edited by G LEXUS; 06-20-07 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Incorrect spelling/ makes no sense