Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Remote mount turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07 | 09:17 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Default Remote mount turbo build

I decided to start my remote mount turbo project. So far I have been acquiring parts to complete the kit. My plan is to boost 8 psi with stock fuel system and tune it with SAFC.
Currently, I have:
SAFC (installed)
wastegate
bov
FMIC
t3/t70 turbo
MAF adaptor (installed)
Oil pump

all I need are oil lines and charge pipes and I'm good to go.

Last edited by sliva001; 06-11-07 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-11-07 | 09:52 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet! A friend of mine did this on his 73 nova and I've never seen someone make such an evil laugh before. We were really suprised at the temp. of the engine bay, it only went up by about 10 degrees. If you can fit it. these are a great system. Best of luck!
Old 06-11-07 | 09:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

ya know, I was gonna go this route as well... even went as far as measuring for space and test fitting a turbo into the area...

then I thought... I can put a 1jz in this thing for $1500 and not have to worry about the oil pump, low mounted turbo, or trans that can't keep up with shifts...
Old 06-11-07 | 09:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Sounds like a great idea, will enjoy seeing your progress.
Old 06-13-07 | 09:28 AM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Dang it! my auto tranny started jerking and I lost second gear. It might be a solenoid problem. Ugh! I have to fix this first before I move on... Or I might just swap a manual tranny.
I know that the w58 is not as strong as r154 but hey, they're dirt cheap. I read in lextreme, inorder to do this, you have to use a 3sgte flywheel mounted backwards with beveled teeth and a hilux clutch. So does this set up bolt on with the bell housing? (should I make a separate thread on this?)
Old 06-13-07 | 11:00 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

SC3 or SC4??

Good luck with the trans and install--

Sounds like a good idea--
Old 06-13-07 | 12:33 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
SC3 or SC4??

Good luck with the trans and install--

Sounds like a good idea--
sc400 does it bolt up?
Old 06-13-07 | 07:09 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sliva001
I know that the w58 is not as strong as r154 but hey, they're dirt cheap. I read in lextreme, inorder to do this, you have to use a 3sgte flywheel mounted backwards with beveled teeth and a hilux clutch. So does this set up bolt on with the bell housing? (should I make a separate thread on this?)
WTF are u talking about????
Old 06-13-07 | 08:03 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soarer479
WTF are u talking about????
This is what the **** I'm talking about!!!! Read up!!!!
From lextreme:
Flywheels
There are two options for flywheels: 3SGTE or custom made. The 3SGTE flywheel locates snugly onto the crank but needs the pitch circle diameter of the flywheel bolts changing by slotting them slightly. The 3SGTE flywheel is preferred as it takes a larger clutch than the 3SGE. The best thing to do here is to machine down the outer spacer ring fitted to the automatic transmission flexplate and use it as a washer under the flywheel bolt heads. You need to buy new high tensile bolts as the original V8 flexplate bolts will not be long enough.

Note that although the ring gear is the correct diameter and pitch for the V8 starter, the 3SGTE starter motor engages from the opposite side, hence you need to cut a bevel onto the front face of the ring gear. Failure to do so will result in the starter pinion not engaging correctly, and chewing out the ring gear. As crude as it sounds, carefully chamfering the face with a 1 mm cut off disc on an angle grinder works perfectly well. Use the V8 ring gear as a guide for how much to take off.

The 3SGTE flywheel works out to be quite light for the V8 and gives excellent response. Note that the spacer disc normally fitted between the torque converter flex plate and the crank will need to be used with the 3SGTE flywheel in order to place the ring gear in the correct plane for the starter.

Alternatively you can get a flywheel custom made, with or without the ring gear. The ones we use are billet steel with integral ring gear and work really well. I run a lightened one in the Supra and it is excellent

Last edited by sliva001; 06-13-07 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-13-07 | 10:07 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Dellowes auto in AU has custom bell housings-- otherwise you'd maybe need an adapter ring--

The flywheel from the 3sgte sounds awesome--

I really want to swap mine to manual too-- and I almost think the w58 would be perfect for a lightly modded NA 1UZ -- (maybe 300hp/330tq) --
Old 06-15-07 | 04:17 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sliva001
This is what the **** I'm talking about!!!! Read up!!!!
From lextreme:
Flywheels
There are two options for flywheels: 3SGTE or custom made. The 3SGTE flywheel locates snugly onto the crank but needs the pitch circle diameter of the flywheel bolts changing by slotting them slightly. The 3SGTE flywheel is preferred as it takes a larger clutch than the 3SGE. The best thing to do here is to machine down the outer spacer ring fitted to the automatic transmission flexplate and use it as a washer under the flywheel bolt heads. You need to buy new high tensile bolts as the original V8 flexplate bolts will not be long enough.

Note that although the ring gear is the correct diameter and pitch for the V8 starter, the 3SGTE starter motor engages from the opposite side, hence you need to cut a bevel onto the front face of the ring gear. Failure to do so will result in the starter pinion not engaging correctly, and chewing out the ring gear. As crude as it sounds, carefully chamfering the face with a 1 mm cut off disc on an angle grinder works perfectly well. Use the V8 ring gear as a guide for how much to take off.

The 3SGTE flywheel works out to be quite light for the V8 and gives excellent response. Note that the spacer disc normally fitted between the torque converter flex plate and the crank will need to be used with the 3SGTE flywheel in order to place the ring gear in the correct plane for the starter.

Alternatively you can get a flywheel custom made, with or without the ring gear. The ones we use are billet steel with integral ring gear and work really well. I run a lightened one in the Supra and it is excellent

ohhh my bad i guess i didnt read i thought you were talking about doing a manual swap on a 2j not a 1uz lol
Old 06-15-07 | 04:29 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Some people claim a W58 will work well anywhere under 450whp --

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I like the lighter weight and cost factor -- plus most everything will swap over from a manual SC3 --

I wouldn't think 450whp is even necessary anyhow-- to each his own, but 325 whp sounds a lot more fun than the current 180 or so right now--
Old 06-16-07 | 11:04 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Well with that turbo remote mounted and only 8psi, you arent going to be making 450whp. So no worries I'd cross-reference the pricing with an R154 though, because the MKIII Turbo Supra has it and they are a dime a dozen as well. Dellows makes the bellhousing for that one too.

450whp doesnt seem necessary to you... but when you've got 350whp and can't keep up with, say, a Z06 or viper for instance... There are so many other cars out there that make much more power these days. Seems you can't walk 10 ft without seeing a car that traps 120mph these days.
Old 06-16-07 | 11:07 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by Bean
450whp doesnt seem necessary to you... but when you've got 350whp and can't keep up with, say, a Z06 or viper for instance... There are so many other cars out there that make much more power these days. Seems you can't walk 10 ft without seeing a car that traps 120mph these days.
I wonder where we'll stop really...

specially with the new Vettes coming out, 700 hp for stock supercharged vettes... blah...

hard to keep up anymore...
Old 06-16-07 | 11:34 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I wonder where we'll stop really...

specially with the new Vettes coming out, 700 hp for stock supercharged vettes... blah...

hard to keep up anymore...
I agree. I left the scene for a while and came back and there were so many fast imports out it made my head spin. There's not a whole lot of streetcar domestics around here that are REALLY fast. There's a ton at the track but they arent street cars; and I presume when the new Earnhardt Jr track metropolis gets built in northern Mobile county that its gonna get real crazy.

I think the fastest one that rolled through a couple months ago was a TT Viper that supposedly made 900whp. He made the mistake of running around on street-tires and low boost. My friend's 600whp 280z ate him for breakfast. The automatic tranny and drag radials didnt hurt either

Quick Reply: Remote mount turbo build