Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turn Key Solution.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07 | 01:12 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drewgo
How much power are you looking for ???
400RWHP. I'll never pop the clutch or shift it hard, its mainly for highway passing and whatnot (only racing available out here).
Old 06-15-07 | 01:37 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YumaSC300
400RWHP. I'll never pop the clutch or shift it hard, its mainly for highway passing and whatnot (only racing available out here).
IN that case put a 1j with a well fitted turbo andyou'll be cranking. You'll spend around 5-6k and have room for growth if you want it.
2jzgte is a waste of money if you are staying under 500rwhp.
Old 06-15-07 | 02:04 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

The ~400WHP is more of a waiting game. I was looking the Boost Logic Stg2 because I can always put a bigger turbo on it later. I'm looking for around 400 until I can source a good transmission for a good price. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and get a less potent setup and regret it down the road.
Old 06-16-07 | 06:16 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

The ~400WHP is more of a waiting game. I was looking the Boost Logic Stg2 because I can always put a bigger turbo on it later. I'm looking for around 400 until I can source a good transmission for a good price. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and get a less potent setup and regret it down the road.
A soarer swap is a 1j with an R154 tranny which can hold well past 700+ hp with ease. If you build it right you can have a 1j with 500+ hp even 600 if you know what you are doing. If you wanna go higher drop in a 2j all you need is the engine set because you can use the tranny.
Old 06-16-07 | 12:04 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Aren't the 1J Soarer swaps really expensive? I read around here that an R154 is rare.. or is that just hard to find separate?
Old 06-17-07 | 08:40 PM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Aren't the 1J Soarer swaps really expensive? I read around here that an R154 is rare.. or is that just hard to find separate?
Hard to find separate, yes.
You can pick up a clip for about 3k or a complete motorset for 2.5k.
Trust me when I tell you 500 is a cake walk for a 1j, I am making 468 and with a push of a button I can raise it. I have 550cc inj now but with 680 I can be in the high 500's or 720 injectors I can break 600. Obviously the right fitted turbo.
It's all about combination.

I know many will tell you It can't be done, but I am living proof that it can and we have.
Old 06-18-07 | 02:33 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

500 is easy? How difficult is the swap though? I plan on doing this the best I can the first time around, so lets say... a year from today, I'd have the BL Stage 2 Kit, 6 Speed and full AEM EMS. Thats my goal. 500 down with reliable parts.
Old 06-18-07 | 02:41 PM
onejayzee
Rookie

i go through this all the time at work. i want a 2j... i want a 2j... and my response is... go 1j u will save money and be more than happy with the results. 11k is way more than enough to get a 1j in the 600hp range includin the swap. just gotta source the right parts. but if thats wat u wanna do i think itll be awesome. and best of luck. keep us updated
Old 06-18-07 | 02:45 PM
M34LNCH
Lead Lap

IN that case put a 1j with a well fitted turbo andyou'll be cranking. You'll spend around 5-6k and have room for growth if you want it.
2jzgte is a waste of money if you are staying under 500rwhp.
Yeah 2J 6spd is a waste of money thats why u cant touch them under 14-15k, and 1js are worth penuts.

Yuma, if you have that kind of money to spend do your self a favor get a 2J with a 6spd. ITs an INVESTMENT from many angles. If you desire to go up in power its very easy a US SPEC 2jGTE will make over 400WHP with an intake exahust and a boost controller., if you decide to sell the car you 6k lexus can easily turn into a 13-14k car with the 2j 6spd in it. Something that nor 1J or NA-T can do for this cars.
Old 06-18-07 | 02:50 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to find separate, yes.
You can pick up a clip for about 3k or a complete motorset for 2.5k.
Trust me when I tell you 500 is a cake walk for a 1j, I am making 468 and with a push of a button I can raise it. I have 550cc inj now but with 680 I can be in the high 500's or 720 injectors I can break 600. Obviously the right fitted turbo.
It's all about combination.

I know many will tell you It can't be done, but I am living proof that it can and we have.
500rwhp daily driven and reliable on a stock internal 1JZ-GTE and you're calling it a "cake walk?" I respectfully disagree. 500+ horsepower 1jz-gte's exist, I've seen them, but to say it's a cake walk to order any old 1jz-gte (that's been sitting around for God knows how many years in a junkyard) and expect 500rwhp with good longevity to come easy is unrealistic. When turboing your sc300, please keep in mind longevity. Healthy 2jz-ge motors have proven to handle 500rwhp reliably on stock internals with only upgraded headgasket. Plus you get 3.0L instead of 2.5L with the 1JZ. The other benefit is you know the condition of your stock 2JZ-GE engine and usually know its history. I like 1JZ-GTE, very cool, but if you can lower your out-of-pocket expense with your NA-T setup, turbo your stock SC300 engine .
Old 06-18-07 | 03:30 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

I vote stick with with the 2j! I've obviously not run any of their products, but while I was on leave last time, I went home to Austin and checked out their shop. Everything they do is really expensive, but I hung around for long enough to see that all those dudes are cool, professional, and REALLY know how to make some ridiculous cars. The owner, SW drives a ~500rwhp SC3 that looks bone stock (minus the CCW's and lowering) that looks as clean as the day it rolled off the showroom. Just to cover my ***, no - I'm not affiliated with them in ANY way, I just stopped by there to watch them work on their 1800hp race supra for a while one day.
Old 06-18-07 | 03:53 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

See there are alot of options and things to think about. My concern is the fact that I am active duty, I work a second job, and I live in Yuma. A: Yuma is ****ing tiny, and there isn't a single Auto Shop near here. The closest big cities are San Diego CA, and Phoenix AZ. Sure, they are 300 miles away, but I am active duty and work a second job, so finding time off is close to impossible. I require my second job as I am a workaholic and I need funds for my hobbies (The Sc300). I am looking for something I can do on my own, so I can tear my car apart and say that I've been inside of it and the sweat and blood in the car is mine. Doing research and whatnot, I've come up with NA-Ting the GE, and getting an R154. I live 8 miles from work (both jobs are equally distant from home) so I don't really care about gas mileage for the most part. I'm not rich or anything, but I have an ethic of doing **** right the first time. I don't want to cut corners on anything... because this is what happened to my 5.7L RX7..

Old 06-19-07 | 06:50 AM
drewgo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
500rwhp daily driven and reliable on a stock internal 1JZ-GTE and you're calling it a "cake walk?" I respectfully disagree. 500+ horsepower 1jz-gte's exist, I've seen them, but to say it's a cake walk to order any old 1jz-gte (that's been sitting around for God knows how many years in a junkyard) and expect 500rwhp with good longevity to come easy is unrealistic. When turboing your sc300, please keep in mind longevity. Healthy 2jz-ge motors have proven to handle 500rwhp reliably on stock internals with only upgraded headgasket. Plus you get 3.0L instead of 2.5L with the 1JZ. The other benefit is you know the condition of your stock 2JZ-GE engine and usually know its history. I like 1JZ-GTE, very cool, but if you can lower your out-of-pocket expense with your NA-T setup, turbo your stock SC300 engine .
I agree with you. His power goals are 500 reliable HP. Now, who has the right definition of reliable. How many years of service do you want to get out of it?
I am not sure what experiences you've had with a 1j but 500rwhp is a cake if you know what you are doing. I made 485 and I daily drive my car. How many years of service will I get? I don't know, but the same rules apply when you start modding a 2jzGe motor. Or a Gte for that matter, you don't know the history of it or how long it's been sitting in a yard somewhere.
Also he is not lowering his out-of-pocket expense by using BL.
Give me 11k and I'll build a 2jzgte with 6sp and rear end with 500-600rwhp.
And I'll have change left over for 1 years worth of Gas money...
Old 06-19-07 | 08:07 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

boostlogic is great, but pricey...

there are definitely cheaper ways to do it, but theres ultimately will be the most reliable... most expensive though...

personally, I'd do the 2JZ swap for around $6-7000 with the 6 speed (maybe less ultimately, maybe a little more)... then you are a bolt on turbo away from 120 mph traps... I'd shop around a little, but then again, I have the time to piece something together...
Old 06-19-07 | 08:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

No matter what, you will want more than 400rwhp trust me. I was you a year ago I wanted 400rwhp and went 1J over na-t. I figured with the W58 I would be limited. But I couldn't resist a deal on a Soarer R154 and now my lust for more power has increased. But honestly for 11K I would go after a 6spdGTE and then do BPU upgrades, the USDM Stock twins will hold their own while you figure out how big you want to go with the single setup.

Quick Reply: Turn Key Solution.