Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking for more HP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-01, 07:42 PM
FASTSUPRAMAN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for more HP!

New guy to this forum. Any suggestions on where I would start to increase the HP. (Big Increase in HP) How many turbo SC300's are there out there?
Attached Thumbnails Looking for more HP!-drvr-side-new-wheels.jpg  
Old 12-14-01, 10:51 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 that are regulars, 2 more that come on once in a while... and another (Clint from Texas) that visits every once in a while...

SC300TURBO and SC300T are the main sources of info for the bolton turbo kit... Comp Wiz has done the kit too... and I plan on it as well when I get my 300zx sold...

major major major hp can be had with Toyomoto's Stage 1.5 kit and a T60-1 turbo instead of their offered T04E-60 (they can custom tailor anything)

by major hp I mean BPU Supra wasting power...
Old 12-14-01, 09:11 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

exactly..the toyomoto kits are top quality and can make alot of hp.....give them a call....the specialize in toyota and lexus turbo cars...Jeff
305-599-3050
Old 12-15-01, 07:15 AM
FASTSUPRAMAN
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info...
Old 12-22-01, 06:35 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Toyomoto kits are virtually "bullet proof". I've never heard of any parts on his kits going bad. I've had mine for a little over a year with 25000 hard miles on the kit without issue - and thats on a 135k mile 2JZ engine. All piping is custom made, doesn't leak like some others, and top notch clamps, hardware, etc. are used.

I went into the dyno right after a BPU MKIV and was a little hesitant, wasn't sure how I'd compare. The car wasn't cooled down, I've never dynoed before, and the car generally isn't tuned because theres no fuel controller on the car. It was a last minute thing and I didn't have time to even put good gas in it. (I occasionally run straight 116 octane and bring the boost up another 6 pounds). After the BPU layed down 380, we strapped it down and rang up 432 corrected rwhp @10-12psi on the second run... Not too shabby for something that makes usable boost by 2200rpm. The 6 extra psi on race gas would have been worth an extra 75-100 or so hp. Awhile back I posted some videos of 2002 Z06 pulls on the highway while on the CAM2. Some people that saw the video didn't think the vette was racing.

The Toyomoto turbo kits themselves cost around $6k, plus you'll need the best clutch you can afford.

My results at the track are a little less impressive than the street because of the SC300s wimpier driveline hardware... (Small clutch, open differential). On all season tires, my best is 12.73@117--- The car doesn't hook well at all with an open diff... That time was also with a wastegate fixed at 8psi, which would be somewhat less than 400rwhp. Ideally, if you had a limited slip, good grippy clutch and some drag radials, you could be easily in the 11s on this setup. You may get few tries at 11s, though, as the clutch may explode, or the axles break, etc... Most people into drag racing will swap an automatic with built tranny and Supra axles, driveshaft, diff. The Supra TT driveline is more stout. On street pulls (60+), I've beat mid 11 second NOS LS1s without problem - it runs like a low 11 second car once it gets rolling.

The other thing about the Toyomoto log style manifold is that it builds a very wide torque curve and power band. It will provide much more power under the curve for a given HP - there is no real peak, just a very broad area of power. It makes these great for street racing.
Old 12-23-01, 09:28 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd keep the SC3 a little more tame. If you want crazy HP, use the Supra TT. You've got a bullet proof 6-sp, already turbo engine, and the body that has plenty of addons. Fender Flares, Body Kits, etc etc. I've got an SC400 right now, and would much prefer a supra TT. It's a killer because my father, who gave a car to me, had the choice between the SC4 (used $30k )and a Supra TT (new for $24k -- dealer couldn't get rid of it)... He chose the SC4

Ok enough with my sob story. If I were you, spend more money on the supra. 800 HP with stock bottom end. The aftermarket list for the supra is virtually endless.
Old 12-24-01, 06:45 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The engine has the same basic internals, so they support the same HP... Craig Paisley used a NA 2JZ for their dragster, that thing had 1000 hp? There are several NA 2JZs in the 600-700rwhp range. SP has done two or three SC300s with this HP. Toyomoto has done several in the 600+ class, and Powerhouse has done a few, too. These are ALL using stock bottom end.

Just because no one has dialed up 900hp doesn't mean it can't be done, its just that there aren't nearly as many turbo SC300s around as Supra TTs... Neither engine has been pushed to its limits yet and people aren't blowing the engine, so who knows where the limits are??? I've never heard of any SC300 turbo guys throwing a rod, breaking a crank, etc. It just doesn't happen... The only thing that happens is similar to the Supra TT guys - if EGTs go too high for too long you melt a piston... But that's a tuning problem and not an issue of engine strength.
Old 12-24-01, 08:05 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I know it's not a question of engine strength. NA and TT is basically the same block-- both can handle similar amounts of HP. If you want something unusual and rare, put the turbo on your SC300. If you want a fast car that's a little more common, but gives you more bang for the buck, work on your supra. You can still take your supra to Toyomoto. FM intercooler, HKS cams (work with an SC too maybe?).

Bottom Line: If you just want HP and Speed, supra.
If you want speed and rarity spend even more money on the SC.

Personally, the Supra does more for me. They make so much for that car it's unbelievable.

PS: Anyone notice that we just get allot of our parts from companies that make them for the supra... I think manaray was talking about using a supra strut bar on a LS 400. The Seats from the supra fit in the SC. Personally I'd do a little to the SC, (Apexi SAFC, Cold Air Intake, Tokio Suspension). And then go all out on the Supra. Bomex 2 Light Bodykit (Fast and the Furious) Front Mount Intercooler, Boost Cut Controller, BOV, Custom Paint, HKS cams....

BTW SC300T I am in no way knocking your car. It's freaking insane -- it's also cool that you're leaving the body stock... a real sleeper.

Last edited by SupraCoup3; 12-24-01 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 12:38 AM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Just curious..

If you were to turbo your SC300, would the turbo kit include everything you needed? Where did you guys get the turbo installed?

Secondly, would you need to swap out or upgrade the transmission? Can the Toyota 5spd tranny handle the 400-500 or so rwhp?

Thanks.
-Brian.
Old 02-14-02, 08:18 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah the aforementioned Turbo kit from toyomoto includes EVERYTHING.

To install it anyway, there are still other recommended upgrades like a fuel pump, clutch, etc... but you can ask Lance at Toyomoto and he'll let you know about everything that you need.

You can install this kit yourself if you're mechanically inclined; or you can pay a shop to do it; its not really that complicated.

You don't HAVE to upgrade the transmission. From what Jeff says, and others, that the stock 5-speed can handle around 450-500rwhp. If you get a limited-slip diff; then the transmission may be in danger at those power levels... otherwise with 450rwhp; as SC300T said, you'll be spinning

Doing a tranny swap is cheaper than building up the stock 5-speed. There are automatic tranny build-ups too; but I'm assuming you're talking about the manuals. There are several SupraTTs running mid 9s with those 6-speed trannies.
Old 02-14-02, 08:26 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

what can the AT handle? It's basically the same as the Supra TT right? W/ a shift kit is it gonna ever be as bullet proof as the 6sp? Something I've always wondered about.
Old 02-15-02, 11:03 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

The auto will not be anywhere near as strong as the Getrag, as Bean mentioned, guys like Ara Arslanian are running mid-hi 9's (big $$$ carbon-carbon clutch) with a stock 6spd (by the way, he's taking the Bullish Supra off the strip, and putting it back on the street, luv it). A stock auto with shift kit will handle horsepower levels into the 400's, Toyomoto's car was running twelves long ago on a stock auto and eventually ran 10.94 with that auto car (man, that must've been at least three years ago, wait 'till their serious car comes out). I'm a big believer in the auto/turbo combo, and that's what i'll be building. The SC auto is essentially the same as the Supra unit, different torque converter bolt pattern and a couple other things. To give you a testimonial, VeilsideRSPsc was running a stock auto with a Toyomoto kit and T60-1 (ya, he's a bit outta control, that's why I like him). It was slipping like a b@stard (trying to shift smooth with over 400hp), but it never failed, and he drove it like that for awhile, and hard. I mean hard. You have several sources for a good auto unit, Paisley swears by Select, so do a couple of friends of mine, big block '69 Camaro and mini-tubbed 440 Dart. The Supra guys like SP, they have several levels of build-up, plus Level 10, which we already talked about, and a couple others. Choose wisely, Grasshopper.
Old 02-16-02, 08:22 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Do you suppose that the tt auto has a different valve body than on our cars?
Anyone ever ridden in one and noticed a difference in the shift quality?
I wouldn't get too carried away spending $ on the Lexus ,having a Supra around for fun.If you upgrade the Supra suspension,the original parts will work on the SC as an upgrade there also.
Old 02-16-02, 08:25 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Post Who to talk to.....

As a V8 owner I know how little there is in the way of performance mods for my car....... in my searches for mods the amount of tweaking that the Japanese have done to their turbo models is awesome.... and when they want to get serious they swap out the 1JZ-GTE and put in the 2JZ-GTE..... and run them up to 750/850ps......

They swap in the Supra 6 speed automatic transmission...
http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity.../2280/6mt.html

They take out the automatic box and swap in the 5 speed manual..
http://www2.cypress.ne.jp/mitsu/mroom.htm

They have some serious tuners.....as you do in the USA....

I've often wondered why Club Lexus doesn't try to create some 'tuner' links with the Soarer Clubs in Japan. Big problems with translation and importing parts for sure but maybe some big solutions as well?

http://www.soarer.ne.jp/index-j.html

http://www25.cds.ne.jp/~tsoc/index.htm

Maybe we can get "Icon' to start learning Japanese
Old 02-16-02, 04:03 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

SLow, I think Ikon has to master English first before moving on to Japanese, but good idea nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Looking for more HP!