Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

"UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-01, 12:21 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...

UZZ32, as for the x pipe for the SC4 what is your take on the 10" set up on your sight?

****http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...ctorcolour.pdf

Do you have any more info/data on the X pipe?

Also do you have any more detail photos of your BFI intake procedure?

The Ikon
Old 12-14-01, 05:06 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto!
Old 12-14-01, 03:47 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark from Exhaust Technology (Adelaide)
http://www.exhausttechnology.com.au/

has just recently built and tested the 10 inch x-pipe. He knows Mark Tilbrook (Adelaide) who did the x-pipe in the article.

Mark said that the stamped x-pipe was better acoustically than the 10 inch custom one (better separation of pulses, nicer tone - overall sounds better) and that on the dyno the power gains were of the same order.

It was also lighter, and quicker and easier to fit.

So I went and picked one up two days ago!

I am going for the 2.5 inch stainless (2.5 inch core). It is imported from USA (MagnaFlow?) - mild steel in this size wasn't available locally.

I picked mine up from MotorMate (St Marys). Andrew (my brother) owns the store.
http://www.motormate.com.au/
Attached Thumbnails "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...-xpipeboags.jpg  
Old 12-14-01, 03:55 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I've got more pics of the BFI on the computer - If you can give me more of an idea of what your after I'll have another look.
Old 12-14-01, 05:32 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Default X Pipe Question

How do you put an X-pipe in a Lexus SC400? Which exhaust part does X-pipe replace?

Peter~
Old 12-14-01, 05:48 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by UZZ32
I've got more pics of the BFI on the computer - If you can give me more of an idea of what your after I'll have another look.
I want to direct the air to my 'cold air box' from behind the grill(as you did with your Soarer below the front license plate). I want more detailed photos if you have them.

You can send them to: The_Ikon1911@yahoo.com

Hey how much in US dollars did the X pipe connector cost?

Thanks,

The Ikon
Old 12-14-01, 06:35 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I found this X pipe:

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spin...ntechindex.asp

Old 12-21-01, 08:52 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Biggest gain was from replacing four rear mufflers with single 2.5 inch pipe and straight through muffler:

The Soarer already has a type of 10 long x-pipe. It works.

Last edited by UZZ32; 12-21-01 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-21-01, 08:56 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

single rear pipe:
Attached Thumbnails "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...-2.5inchsingleb.jpg  
Old 12-21-01, 08:57 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I tried this configuration with x-pipe in middle and gains were minimal. I would recommend keeping the front section.
Attached Thumbnails "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...-2.5inchdual.jpg  
Old 12-21-01, 09:00 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Ikon I haven't forgotton about your BFI question.
The two sections you need for your pod/heatshield combination are:

1. Under headlight passage
2. The air inlet chamber.

These will work great with your intake. To get the most gains the shield should be sealed (no gaps even a finger nail thick anywhere).
Get an oil analysis next change to see if the pod is doing the job for your driving area.

If you look closely at the air intake area under the licence plate you will see the plastic srews that have to come out.

I will try to get some more pics today. Natasha has the car down at Victor Harbour with her Mum today

You can see the reversing camera in the middle of the spoiler
Attached Thumbnails "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...-xpipeside.jpg  
Old 12-21-01, 11:56 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Hey, I just noticed that you have seperate head rest for the rear seats... (well that's how it appears in the pic ) I really dig the reverse camera...

Q: Are you saying try the 10" Xpipe(remove the cat)?
Or changing the pipes to the x pipe with a larger diameter pipe int the x pipe(or free flow cat...like MadMax)

Q: Are you saying try the 10" Xpipe(remove the cat)? Also keep the rear oem muffs and replace the resonators with piping or bullet style muffs/glass pack style?

Q: Same as above but replace oem muffs with hi-flow muffs?
Old 12-22-01, 05:04 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

The headrests are adjustable - they do move separately to the rear seat.

From the information I have gleaned about the US V8 exhaust, it would appear to be quite different to the Jap spec V8 exhaust.

I had two cats, one bolted on each header. I thought the US spec was the same but you seem to have one cat where the Jap models have a resonator.

This is a photo of the original Jap front section of the exhaust. You can see the resonator in the middle. The two cats are hidden up the front.

This standard exhaust has its own 10 inch style x-pipe already. The two banks come into together at the resonator before going out again.

I had to replace this centre resonator with a cat for compliance.

I had minimal gains replacing this front section.

Is your exhaust like this or do you have a cat instead of a resonator? If you have a cat here in the centre, do you have three cats or just the one?

I wouldn't change this front section.
Attached Thumbnails "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...-centreresonatorsmall.jpg  
Old 12-22-01, 05:16 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

So leave the front section alone.

Sounds like you have straight through mufflers at the rear (Jap spec mufflers are restrictive reflection type) - so leave these for now too.

The middle mufflers would be the first thing to tackle. Unbolt them and put them around the side of the house in case you want to put them back on later (let the exhaust guy do this - you take them home afterwards).

Replace these mufflers with plain tubing and flanges so that the replacement section bolts straight on to the front section and also bolts to your original rear mufflers.

See how it sounds - give it a week of driving at least. If it is still too loud it is easy to weld in some straight through resonators to calm the sound and maintain high flow.

If you do only have one single cat in the centre you could look at upgrading it to a high flow cat at the same time. I would never recommend removing the cat - the exhaust is too poisonous without it.

Here is a photo of the standard Jap spec four rear mufflers - see how they are all flanged to it is easy to remove the sections. Next to them is my replacement single exhaust that bolted on to the front section. This was my favourite sounding exhaust and gave the biggest improvement.
Attached Thumbnails "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...-2.5inchsinglecomparenormalsmall.jpg  
Old 12-22-01, 09:51 AM
rboorgu
Rookie

You have a picture showing a dual cat system with x-pipe. Did you do this after the single exhaust?? Also, the gains you report are minimal. Is this in reference to your single system, or to stock. My car with cat back exhaust is making about 195-200 rwhp. Still an amazing site. I think the big gains you are seeing with the rear mufflers are because they are jspec. Our are straight through, and people really are not noticing much improvement with changing them.

Raj

Quick Reply: "UZZ32" I have an Exhaust X pipe question...