Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ok What Would You Do...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07 | 06:04 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Default Ok What Would You Do...

Ive got a 94 SC400 w/ 198k miles on it. No major problems other than a small leak in the rear main seal. Ive got the car listed because I recently bought a GS 300 and so Ive got a total of 4 cars and the wife is having a fit so I put the SC up for sale for 6500 (ive got about 9k in it).

So here is the problem. A buddy of mine recently did an aristo swap into his gs300 and converted it to a single turbo. Ive driven the car and it is crazy fast but he left me a message today saying he didnt replace the injectors or something when he did the swap and something happened and the engine needs to be rebuilt and he doesnt want to screw with it (he's not hurting for $) AND he wanted to know if I wanted the engine for free to have it rebuilt and swap into my SC400. Ive read some on the forums and it seems like some people say its easy and others have problems. I figure it would probably cost me 1500 to rebuild another 1k to do the swap plus the tranny so w/o the tranny Ive got another $3k in my car oh and dont forget the pissed off wife.

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-07 | 06:36 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

putting an Aristo engine into the SC400 is not childs play. The Aristo is front sump to the SC400's mid-rear sump. The wiring is an absolutel nightmare. Plus, you have to rebuild the engine because it is blown: yikes!

You can get a 1JZ from a Soarer that will swap in MUCH easier for less coin.

Trying to put an Aristo motor in perfect condition into an SC400 is a tough task. Putting a blown Aristo motor into an SC400 is not smart. If you want to swap the engine, use a Supra 2JZ or a Soarer 1JZ. Both are much easier swaps with way fewer headaches.
Old 06-17-07 | 08:08 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
putting an Aristo engine into the SC400 is not childs play. The Aristo is front sump to the SC400's mid-rear sump. The wiring is an absolutel nightmare. Plus, you have to rebuild the engine because it is blown: yikes!

You can get a 1JZ from a Soarer that will swap in MUCH easier for less coin.

Trying to put an Aristo motor in perfect condition into an SC400 is a tough task. Putting a blown Aristo motor into an SC400 is not smart. If you want to swap the engine, use a Supra 2JZ or a Soarer 1JZ. Both are much easier swaps with way fewer headaches.
are you hi? seriously? if he rebuilt the motor it would be fresh, and he would be the first to run it, so no probs there and why would he put a blown motor in the car? then what about the wiring? it just takes time to do, oil pan, look around they are not that hard to find if you look for one, there are also threads on this site and many others that will give tutorials on how to do the swap to make it as easy as possible.
and truthfully how much harder is it to swap a 1j instead of a 2j?
yes there are differences and each have there complexity about them, but hell with time and patience they both can be done.

i say do it! not much to loose really, if you want just get the motor from him and turn around and sell it. as for the wife she will get over it.
Old 06-17-07 | 08:41 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by bens sc
are you hi? seriously?
No, he's stating that it would be easier to do a Supra/Soarer derived engine, that has all the parts....so you don't have to hunt them down.

he's not saying its easier to do a 1jz over a 2jz...its easier to do a pulled Supra/Soarer motor than an Aristo.

yea...you could rebuild the Aristo motor...then get all the correct parts...do up the wires...and away you go...But your still then spending as much money to make the Aristo motor work...plus all the extra labor.
Old 06-17-07 | 08:52 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bens sc
are you hi? seriously?
From the sounds of it, the man is looking to get something done simply and easily without his wife going crazy. I think that while the part searching and labor intensive job of rebuilding an Aristo to swap into an SC400 is fun to some of us (including me), this is not what is needed in this case. And while a rebuilt 2JZ could take whatever power you could throw at it, we are talking about an SC400 guy with a Toyota A tranny not looking to throw thousands upon thousands at his cars: again, not what is needed in this case.

As I said previously, for what you would spend on a rebuild, you could have a 1JZ that would neither be difficult to swap in nor tough to boost up to big enough numbers for THIS CASE.

Given your response, I think you are just wishing that you lived on the east coast so that you could come and pick up that blown 2JZ for a couple hundred bucks, no?!?
Old 06-17-07 | 11:56 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blizzy
From the sounds of it, the man is looking to get something done simply and easily without his wife going crazy. I think that while the part searching and labor intensive job of rebuilding an Aristo to swap into an SC400 is fun to some of us (including me), this is not what is needed in this case. And while a rebuilt 2JZ could take whatever power you could throw at it, we are talking about an SC400 guy with a Toyota A tranny not looking to throw thousands upon thousands at his cars: again, not what is needed in this case.

As I said previously, for what you would spend on a rebuild, you could have a 1JZ that would neither be difficult to swap in nor tough to boost up to big enough numbers for THIS CASE.

Given your response, I think you are just wishing that you lived on the east coast so that you could come and pick up that blown 2JZ for a couple hundred bucks, no?!?
well fellas i stand corrected, and must have jumped the gun on my initital impression of what you said blizzy. i apologize, but to me thats how it sounded.

and for the motor nah dont need it, just picked up a short block off ebay for 400, and spent almost 3 grand so far buying carillo h beams, and cp pistons, look for it soon in the performance section, im gonna start the build on that soon taking pics of progress untill i get it ready to swap into my sc300 or supra, i havnt decided yet.