Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question about fuses/relays

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 08:03 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fuses/relays

Hey guys,

I recently took my SC400 in to a shop to replace the power steering pump. For some reason, they took it upon themselves to also shampoo and power wash the engine bay. Since then, the "AIRBAG" light has been on in my dashboard display. I was wondering if anyone knows why or how to make it go away or check it.

Second of all, the car has always had some wacky electrical issues. Sometimes the starter would suddenly stop working. The funny thing is, that I figured out that to fix it, all I would have to do is give the fuse box a few light taps with my fist, get in the car, and start it. Bang! Worked every time. Anyways, I told the mechanic and he ended up soldering one of the relays... claimed it was the cause. Upon further inspection of the fuse box, I found that one of the main relays is VERY VERY VERY HOT. Doesn't seem right. Literally, it can burn your finger on contact.

Anyways, lets get a visual:

The one that he soldered is on the left side, third from the top. You can see its busted open and has some soldering on it.

The one that is heating up like crazy is the round one right at the top center. According to the fuse box diagram, its for "EFI MAIN". What does that mean? What is it for?

So, here are my 3 questions:

1 - Airbag light: why and what to do?
2 - Do you think the relay he soldered is indeed the cause of the starter problems? Does that make sense? Is that what its for?
3 - What does the relay that is overheating do? What is it's purpose?

Thanks,

Benny from Toronto.
Old 06-22-07, 10:09 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Take it back to the shop with a big WTF???? look on your face.
Replace the busted open relay.
Hint...get it from toyota not lexus...save some cash.

Check, but I think EFI main would be the main relay for you Electronic Fuel Injection...
off to the engine forum we go.....
Old 06-22-07, 01:43 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they washed it without permission, they need to fix it correctly without any ghetto-rigging. You want the body shop to fix a busted bumper in an accident with duct tape? No...
Old 06-24-07, 10:40 PM
BennySC400
Rookie

Ya, I'm going to replace both of those relays. I just want to know what EFI MAIN means.

And can anyone figure out why my AIRBAG light is on?
Old 06-25-07, 05:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFI main is the relay that is triggered (by the ignition switch) to bring all the EFI electronics online.

Ign switch, depending on position, sends signal to relay to ground its input power. Relay grounds input power and connects a circuit (turns on) for the ECU, fuel injectors, ignition, etc. Its why when you want to turn the motor over without starting; you pull that fuse.
Old 06-27-07, 09:50 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

ok, I see... so is it bad that my EFI MAIN fuse is heating up alot? I think I'm going to replace it either way...

any idea on the AIRBAG light? why would it be on? I think there's a fuse I can pull that will reset that light, but should I be worried? how do I check if the airbag is ok?
Old 06-27-07, 10:16 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BennySC400
ok, I see... so is it bad that my EFI MAIN fuse is heating up alot? I think I'm going to replace it either way...

any idea on the AIRBAG light? why would it be on? I think there's a fuse I can pull that will reset that light, but should I be worried? how do I check if the airbag is ok?
There is not a fuse you can pull. There is however a process to reset the airbag light - although some people have not had a lot of luck with it. Apparently it takes a lot of patience!

Do a search for reset airbag light.

Jonny
Old 09-21-07, 08:33 AM
Boyscout
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

which is the fuse for the Traction control?