Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pulling as much Power out of the 1UZ-FE as possible

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 12:53 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely nitrous. So you're wondering why a 230whp Nissan beat a 213whp Lexus when the Nissan also weighs 1000lbs less?

You need nitrous; and a nice sized shot too; like a 100 shot; and a torque converter plus all the exhaust mods. And if he's only making 230whp, he's pretty mild. I get full boost at 2400rpms and I dynoed 293whp at 14psi on a stock Pulsar GTIR turbo.

If you want to hang with the big dogs, I'd go turbo (and no my car isn't a "big dog")
Old 06-24-07, 01:05 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Agreed, Mustang dynos usually read lower than a dynojet. However dyno numbers are all fluff anyways if you think about it. A dyno is a tool like any other to obtain the optimum tune when street tuning isn't an option. Whatever numbers are obtained are secondary and should be thought of as an afterthought at most. Plus usually what you hear about is top HP/TQ figures. That's all dandy until it's applied to the real world where a 800rwhp Vette jumps out 12 lengths on a 1200rwhp MKIV Supra because of the HP/TQ characteristics and wieght differences. There's a lot involved in building a proper street killer, and peak HP/TQ is only area of the equation. Alter one area and another area of the equation charges.

Dropping the hammer on a 240sx w/ an SR20 swap is not going to be easy. The SC is a size of a boat and has at least an 800lb disadvantage. Basic upgrades aren't going to do much for the motor I'm afraid.

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 06-24-07 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-24-07, 01:15 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Bean
And if he's only making 230whp, he's pretty mild.

If you want to hang with the big dogs, I'd go turbo (and no my car isn't a "big dog")
Exactly, two clicks on the boost controller and he's on like strong arm robbery. The SC is at a big disadvatage, but like you mentioned a pair of turbos will cure that right away.

Remember though, it's like a friend asked me not to long ago,

"You know what I can do with a 600HP V8 SC400?

I said:

"Yeah, you can beaten by half of Orlando . It's tough out there."

Just when you think you've got the world beat, that's when some guy comes out and gives you a bad day.

Eric
Old 06-24-07, 09:08 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are many powerful cars out there, but half of Orlando is a bit of a stretch...But it is generally accurate to state that no matter how fast you are, there will always be someone that may come along and spank ya. The way it is... No problem, it is not about beating everybody, just about being very fast and beating most...

There are also many out there that are crappy drivers...You gotta know how to launch your car to get it's best.

Ryan

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Exactly, two clicks on the boost controller and he's on like strong arm robbery. The SC is at a big disadvatage, but like you mentioned a pair of turbos will cure that right away.

Remember though, it's like a friend asked me not to long ago,

"You know what I can do with a 600HP V8 SC400?

I said:

"Yeah, you can beaten by half of Orlando . It's tough out there."

Just when you think you've got the world beat, that's when some guy comes out and gives you a bad day.

Eric
Old 06-25-07, 01:21 AM
turbochris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Emerald
Im not a he

sorry.........

chris w
Old 06-25-07, 01:28 AM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Agreed, Mustang dynos usually read lower than a dynojet. However dyno numbers are all fluff anyways if you think about it. A dyno is a tool like any other to obtain the optimum tune when street tuning isn't an option. Whatever numbers are obtained are secondary and should be thought of as an afterthought at most. Plus usually what you hear about is top HP/TQ figures. That's all dandy until it's applied to the real world where a 800rwhp Vette jumps out 12 lengths on a 1200rwhp MKIV Supra because of the HP/TQ characteristics and wieght differences. There's a lot involved in building a proper street killer, and peak HP/TQ is only area of the equation. Alter one area and another area of the equation charges.

Dropping the hammer on a 240sx w/ an SR20 swap is not going to be easy. The SC is a size of a boat and has at least an 800lb disadvantage. Basic upgrades aren't going to do much for the motor I'm afraid.

Eric

I agree with you 100%........I used to get people that would come in on dyno days with the tire pressure up at like 60 psi just to pick up 15whp. Lucky i check the tire pressure on every car before i dyno'ed it. But whether it be a Mustang or a DynoJet they both are great tools. I chose the DynoJet because it was what i could afford at the time.

chris w
Old 06-25-07, 01:32 AM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
This is exactly what my Dyno guy told me as well. he said "If you are looking for a trophy dyno this is not it, this is real world numbers" He should know he has been tuning for over 25 years and is known as one of the best.

Yea he's got me by a few years.........lol

chris w
Old 06-25-07, 07:02 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you all for the Insight, im currently talking to a buddy of mine that owns the shop i got dyno'd at, he said yes its a dynojet

we are also working (planning stages) of a rear mount turbo kit. Mostly just dreaming for now working up a parts and cost list, Any clues? any body finished one? i will purchase a write up if some one would be willing to make one =)

ALSO nitrous info, is there a site or link some one could give me to read up on Nitrous? do's and dont's that kind of things
Old 06-25-07, 11:11 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Thank you all for the Insight, im currently talking to a buddy of mine that owns the shop i got dyno'd at, he said yes its a dynojet

we are also working (planning stages) of a rear mount turbo kit. Mostly just dreaming for now working up a parts and cost list, Any clues? any body finished one? i will purchase a write up if some one would be willing to make one =)

ALSO nitrous info, is there a site or link some one could give me to read up on Nitrous? do's and dont's that kind of things

http://www.zex.com/

this is what i would use. If i were you i would be running a 75 to 125 hp system. I would call them and get some info on the phone.

chris w
Old 06-26-07, 12:46 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

What about filling it up?

Like where do you fill it? how much?
Old 06-26-07, 07:03 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

bump?

still have a few questions up
Old 06-26-07, 07:29 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

bump?

still have a few questions up
Nitrous is normally about $4-$5/lb...which is about $40-$50 for a ten pound bottle. In Atlanta, there probably exists quite a bit of competition, so I bet you could get a good price.

Regarding the systems themselves, I have not the slightest clue. I have never researched nitrous systems.
Old 06-26-07, 07:32 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Thanks buddy, If there was Rep points on this forum id pass them out.

On last question, is the a Q&A page on nitrious? maybe an FAQ page, or just possably some sort of information page i can read up on?
Old 06-27-07, 04:53 PM
turbochris
Driver

Thanks buddy, If there was Rep points on this forum id pass them out.

On last question, is the a Q&A page on nitrious? maybe an FAQ page, or just possably some sort of information page i can read up on?

I believe that theres info on the Zex link i put up. You could also google anything you would want to find. If you need any info you could also PM me. I have used/installed several nitrous kits.

thanks
chris w
Old 06-27-07, 08:49 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

No, thank you man, owe ya big time

Quick Reply: Pulling as much Power out of the 1UZ-FE as possible