Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pulling as much Power out of the 1UZ-FE as possible

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 12:07 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pulling as much Power out of the 1UZ-FE as possible

OK, SO, story time...

Driving threw down town state college, PA and i come across an old high-school buddy who now owns a 240sx, KA-T, he turbo'd it with all new injectors, wires, and a few other goodies, says its making around 230 HPish he estimated

Well we come to a stop light and in good ol fashion i give it a little gas just enough to make the SC rumble a bit... well he looks over, raise's his eye brow and initiates a full launch... sits there and spools up the turbo at about 3k rpms and gets ready to launch... WELL i pop off the over drive and throw it into Low gear, Light turns green and we are off....

He dust's me.... like no competition....

i was like wtf.... SC400 v8, mine makes around 315-320 HP now with the exhaust, intake and a few other little things, nothing major, dyno'd it last week and it was at 313HP.

So im sitting there thinking to myself Damn it, i got smoked by a Nissan

So on my way back home im going over mod list's in my head. Thinking of what i could do to the SC.... this is what iv come up with, there are 2 routes...

Forced induction: I have done research on this STS rear mount turbo kits (ststurbo.com)... seem pretty bad-***... they are universal and a friend of mine has a twin set up on his Vette, the sound it makes is orgasmic. BUT at almost 3 grand for JUST the kit... no hardware or lines or anything, its kinda expensive for me, PLUS wouldn't you have to upgrade internals for PSI? i don't know much about turbo'd cars but from what iv gathered its a pretty decent sized amount of work.

OR there is....

N/A: this seems a little bit easier to obtain....
beef up the injectors, full exhaust (header back), Better ignition system, Hell maybe even a stand alone engine management system to tune more ponys out of it...

THIS is where the question comes into play...

Turboing:
What kind of work would be involved if i did a rear mount set up?
any known custom fabrication?
Proes / cons ?
What other "hidden" work is involved such as internal work, or such ?

N/A:
Where can i find larger CC injectors?
Would it hurt my car?
Full exhaust? goods /bads?
What is there to do too a 1UZ-FE?
after market support?
What might be some other things besides bigger injectors and ignition?

ALSO the Automatic Tranny... some one was telling me they are only rated for 400HP?
is this true?
what can i do to make the tranny handle more?
driveshafts?
what are they rated at?

Any help would be much appreciated

Or links to other pages, i searched threw here and couldn't really find anything like this, so hopefully i didn't miss anything, sure OLT will point it out haha

But thank you for reading

Last edited by JDMmuscle; 06-22-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 12:29 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
i was like wtf.... SC400 v8, mine makes around 315-320 HP now with the exhaust, intake and a few other little things, nothing major, dyno'd it last week and it was at 313HP.
Can you post your dyno sheet as a starting point and share what you already have done? What kind of dyno were you on?

You have to already have some significant modifications to get your SC to 313 rwhp!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-22-07 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 01:22 PM
ISC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have 313hp NA SC you should've beat a 230hp turbo 240sx easily, So maybe you have 213hp SC normally 92s dyno at 180-200HP.
Here is quick list to get your SC off the line faster:

1. Before any mods when the last time you got a tune up? Maintenance 1st, mods 2nd
2. A performance torque converter (PI or lextreme) with a good tranny cooler
3. LSD rear end for traction and if you want get of the line quicker you might want to look in to a 4.08 rear end. Some MKIV NA supras 5spd come with LSD w/ 4.08 gears. By the way your 92 has 3.92 rear end gear ratio.
4. FULL exhaust will help out alot also. Headers+MANDREL BENT 2.25" pipes+ high flow cat or no cat+Magnaflows are proven to really open up the performance on a NA SC400
5. A simple SAFC w/ proper tune will take care of fuel, bigger injectors wont really help unless going with FI (turbo,S/C, or nitrous)

And get some good tires like BFG KDW and if you still need extra boost get 100 shot of
Old 06-22-07, 02:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This does not add up. To get 320hp crank from the 1UZ, you are talking headers all the way back with an expertly designed mandrel-bent exhaust, BFI, cams, Piggyback, and maybe even ITB's. A simple cat-back and intake does more for throttle response than it does power.

That being said:
- Headers would be a good way to unlock power.
- An upgraded torque converter could get you off the line much faster. The PI Unit (~$800) is also smaller and lighter than the stock converter for faster response.
- An LSD would prevent power lost to spinning tires at launch.
- A piggyback like a Unichip or SAFC-II and some good dyno tuning time would get you pulling all the way to the redline.
- Beyond that, cams and ITB's start making your 1UZ a damn expensive cumbersome car still making limited power.

Honestly, "JDM Muscle" as you have coined it is easily had with either a 1JZ-GTE or (better yet) a 2JZ-GTE. These engines are easily upgradeable to high power levels.

But, if you are keeping the V8 and don't have the money to go turbo, headers, a TC, and LSD, and a piggyback would get you closer to your friend's Nissan. But, ultimately, a 230hp Nissan that weighs 1000lbs lighter than you is going to be REAL tough to beat n/a.
Old 06-22-07, 02:31 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Sorry sorry sorry its 213, i missed the 2 and hit the 3 just didnt catch it in my read over, its

213 HP no 313
Old 06-22-07, 02:34 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no way you're making on 313HP on those mods. That dyno can't be right.
The SCs are heavy *****, so you'd have to make some significant power to beat that modded 240sx. And I do think that if you really are making 313HP you probably should've killed the SX.
The 1UZ is expensive to make power from but it's more unique than the 2JZ-GTE, NA-Ts and 1JZ-GTE builds.
Do whatever you think is best for you, if you've got the money to play with the 1UZ I say build it up. Wreck house.
Old 06-22-07, 02:48 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

He edited, keep track.
You got wasted because SC's are porkers! That 213whp in a well 3700lb+ car doesn't bode well against 175-190whp on a completely loaded 2900-3000lb car. You know... Pretty simple math there lol!

N/A is a complete waste of money unless you're SCCA racing by the rule book.

If you want to go fast time for a turbo.
Old 06-22-07, 02:51 PM
turbochris
Driver

But the bottle on it and call me in the morning.......

A 100 shot should get you what you want and not cost you 3 grand. Plus there's not to much more that needs to be done to the car after you install. The tranny will be OK and you can take the system off the car if you decide to go a different route later in time. I personally prefer the ZEX system because of its clean and easy installation. If you need more then that then you would have to go with a turbo kit.

chris w
Old 06-22-07, 05:04 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by turbochris
Put the bottle on it and call me in the morning.......

chris w
This is excellent advice.

The 1UZ can handle the nitrous. The Club Lexus guys who have tried to sell their kits have really struggled, but that does not discount the power of the bottle. In all likelihood, there is no market because nitrous does not seem well-refined enough for a Lexus.

That being said, nitrous and a piggyback would get you moving in a hurry. An LSD may make sense as a supporting mod since your rear end could get sloppy with that surge of power.

The downgrade to nitrous is that you have to pay for the bottle refills, but that depends on how often you use it. Regardless, a nitrous kit will outperform almost any n/a 1UZ for way less dough up front.
Old 06-22-07, 05:41 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

Another vote for nitrous. I have had great experiences with Nitrous Express kits, I also like to run a progressive controller. This way, for example, you could squeeze 75 at 3,000rpm and 150 at 6,000rpm. The theory is that since your motor is turning twice as fast, it can handle a bigger shot. This isnt WWII, nitrous is a lot safer when properly set-up and tuned than most people will have you believe and its been proven the 1UZ can handle it.
Old 06-22-07, 05:59 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Rock on guys Exelent exelent advice!

Yeah sorry about the typo there in the begaining lol ill edit that was well

Any Luck with the Rear mount turbo set ups? any one have any thoughts on those?
Old 06-22-07, 06:21 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

as far as it is known, the rear mount turbo has only been done by Emerald. the other member who is interested in building one will be number two. it is highly experiemental, but perhaps effective. Emerald said that she went through a couple engines to perfect the tune.

I would keep your eye on the man building his remote mount turbo on this forum. He seems like a pretty sharp guy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is able to pull it off.

Note: someone has a Nitrous kit on the classifieds. I think nitrous and an SAFC-II would be a good way to get you in the ballpark of that Nissan.
Old 06-22-07, 09:08 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by Blizzy
This is excellent advice.

The 1UZ can handle the nitrous. The Club Lexus guys who have tried to sell their kits have really struggled, but that does not discount the power of the bottle. In all likelihood, there is no market because nitrous does not seem well-refined enough for a Lexus.

That being said, nitrous and a piggyback would get you moving in a hurry. An LSD may make sense as a supporting mod since your rear end could get sloppy with that surge of power.

The downgrade to nitrous is that you have to pay for the bottle refills, but that depends on how often you use it. Regardless, a nitrous kit will outperform almost any n/a 1UZ for way less dough up front.

Yea it would be a good thing on your car......You will probably use it alot at first , but once the fun of having the new part on the car wears off it will not be to bad filling it here and there to put the spankin on someone. I have been trying to get people to race me here at the local street races with no luck in my sc300. The only problem is i just bought this car and everyone knows my DSM and how fast it is. So i could be driving a Yugo and they wouldnt race me.....anyways good luck and i look forward in hearing what you do. I have been thinking about getting a sc400 and putting a shot on it just because i love my 300 so much.

good luck

chris w
Old 06-22-07, 09:11 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry sorry sorry its 213, i missed the 2 and hit the 3 just didnt catch it in my read over, its

213 HP no 313
What dyno did you use? WHat upgrades did you do to get to 213 RWHP? Most 1st Gen SC400's actually dyno around 170 to 180 RWHP max at stock condition. And, if the car is not in exceptional condition, the car will dyno closer to 170. To go from that to 213 RWHP is 43 HP to 33 HP. It is real tough to get that much HP from headers and intake. So, I am curious as to your mods to even get to 213 HP.

If you really want power, you gotta go FI. It is cheaper to go SC like ScottURnot did. If you want crazy power, follow my plan. I think you can get about a 40-50% increase from Supercharging, and loads of torque for approx $5.5 k. For crazy TT power, you gotta build the engine, and make the custom turbo plumbing, expect $15-$20 k or more. If you want to go easy turbo power, go single, follow Steve Chumo, and spend about $5-$6 k.

Each person's thread has lots of details to follow up on...

My Stock Dyno with engine in excellent shape

My stock compression leakdown was between 175 and 185 per cylinder. So, it was in excellent condition for a 93 SSC400.

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 06-22-07 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 09:36 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Ryan...could have been a Mustang dyno: they are very generous. The Aussies laugh at us for trusting Mustang Dynometers.

Quick Reply: Pulling as much Power out of the 1UZ-FE as possible