Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 12:48 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Will you dyno the car after you complete the manual transmission swap? I would like to see what kind of power gains you will yield from this.
Old 01-20-08, 01:44 AM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any news on the R154 swap? What gearing did you decide to go with for your LSD?
Old 01-24-08, 07:02 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daSC4
Will you dyno the car after you complete the manual transmission swap? I would like to see what kind of power gains you will yield from this.
I have not made a decision on this. Honestly, I doubt I will. Dyno numbers would be nice, and I expect a decent gain from the 5MT.

If you are going to jump through the hoops necessary to go 5MT for the power adder aspect, you will be disappointed. It has been a lot of work to accumulate the parts that I have. The research I have done to find the right parts (all shared in this thread) has been enormous.

As I said, I expect to encounter less parasitic drivetrain loss through the 5MT. How much? I doubt we will ever know...unless you want to fork over the $150 for a pair of dyno sessions.

Originally Posted by lexhere27
Any news on the R154 swap? What gearing did you decide to go with for your LSD?
R154 Front
The JZZ30 Soarer R154 transmission conversion parts have been successfully ordered from Carson Toyota. I expect those to arrive sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. Being a strange part on a JDM Toyota vehicle, the lay over time is pretty intense.

Pictures of the parts and the differences between them and the MK3 Supra shifter parts will be EXTREMELY well documented in this thread for all to see.

Gearing Front
I went with the 3.26 differential. For one, it was cheaper and easier to find than the 3.76 from the Supra TT. For two, the 3.76 would give me a granny gear for first gear.

The 3.6 from the LS400 was perhaps the most ideal ratio around -aggressive but not exceeding a total gear ratio in first of greater than 12:1- however, I was not aware of the ring and pinion cross-compatibility. The differential pumpkin is very different from the LS400 to the SC/GS/Supra. I did not want to roll the dice on something that may not work.

The 3.26 rear end should be an excellent combination of traction in 1st, aggressiveness in 2nd-4th, and good cruising rpm in 5th. If you look at the gear ratios as compared to the stock SC400 (with 3.92 rear end):
1st: -3.6%
2nd: +6.2%
3rd: +8.9%
4th: +18.0%
5th: -11.2% vs. stock 4th

Scott really liked his 3.76 rear end on the stock auto once he was supercharged. Check out his videos on youtube: he was still having traction issues in first under WOT with 4% less aggressive gearing than stock. With the 3.26, I will have an altogether similar first gear, which should be nice to maintain luxury driveability while still offering some tire shredding fun when getting on it.

2nd through 4th are obviously going to be strong gears for the car. The 3rd gear ratio will be identical to my third gear currently with the 4.27 rear end. From my limited experience pushing the car with the 4.27, that is a good combo for the motor.

5th gear will be awesome for highway economy. I will see 2500rpm at 80mph. That will be awesome for taking the roadtrip down to Texas for the V8-08 meeting in May.

I have not decided what to do with my 4.27 LSD yet. I know I could sell it as a unit for a decent price. But, that would leave me with no LSD in hand for the 3.26 differential. I anticipate swapping the internals again; but, then i will have a 4.27 differential unit which is rather useless on the open market. If I knew could clear enough to get a TRD LSD from the 4.27 LSD sale, I would probably take the plunge.

---------

Perhaps the best news of all for my project future is that I have successfully found a house...my offer was accepted tonight actually. I have been relatively inactive on the forums the past 2-3 weeks while I have been hunting very aggressively. Possession change is slated between 2/23 and 3/10. Once I am moved in, the SC will go up on stands and the transmission will be pulled. I legitimately can not wait.
Old 01-24-08, 07:56 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

What are you thinking for price on that swapped 4.27 LSD?

Who did you work with at Carson to source the two R154 conversion parts? I'm considering ordering the parts now and having them sitting on the shelf.

Last edited by shern; 01-24-08 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 07:59 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on the new home! I'm sure your garage will be pleased with it's newfound companion (a 5mt, supercharged SC400). Can't wait until this project is complete!
Old 01-25-08, 01:04 AM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another congrats on the house Blizzy! Nothing like working on a car in your own garage, at your own pace
Old 01-25-08, 04:29 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes Mark, Congrats on the house!
Old 01-25-08, 12:16 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

damn!!! i think im inspired to do this to my car.

question regarding the Toyota shift parts. Does this include the OEM throwout bearing and clutch fork?
Old 01-25-08, 04:22 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the Garage mark!! Oh yeah, congrats on the house too...

Ryan
Old 01-25-08, 08:17 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the house!
Old 01-25-08, 10:08 PM
lexhere27
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new house, let the build begin!
Old 01-26-08, 11:14 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

To Everyone:

Thanks for the congrats on the new home. Once the mountain of paperwork that needs to be signed between now and closing is behind me, the realization of the situation will finally be able to sink in. To come home from the gym to my SC on stands every night will be a surreal experience.

I should remain somewhat inactive on the forums for another few weeks, but once everything gets sorted out, my activity level shoudl be rekindled with many photos of the progress being made.

Originally Posted by shern
What are you thinking for price on that swapped 4.27 LSD?
Honestly, I am not sure. I am still not sure if I want to sell it or not.

The LSD itself was 100% brand new when it was installed...so, it is ~6k miles old. I know it would swap into my GS4 differential without any significant cost to me; but, I also know that is a waste of the hardwork I invested to rebuild it correctly.

I have just emailed a part quote request to the Sales Manager at the shop in Japan where I got my C's Shifter to see what price he can get me on a TRD LSD shipped to me in Indiana. If the price he quotes me is within market value for an LSD rear end, I will strongly consider selling the rebuilt 4.27 rear end as a whole.

Originally Posted by shern
Who did you work with at Carson to source the two R154 conversion parts? I'm considering ordering the parts now and having them sitting on the shelf.
I worked with Luis. Call and ask for him. Then, tell him you want the two transmission conversion parts that Mark (CL Member: Blizzy) from Indiana had ordered from Japan.

I am sure he will be able to order you a set of the parts. He told me to expect 3-4 weeks..which puts me ~2 weeks out from having these rare parts in hand.

Originally Posted by StiCk3
question regarding the Toyota shift parts. Does this include the OEM throwout bearing and clutch fork?
Short answer: no.

The clutch kit I have comes with a throwout bearing, and the clutch fork is still with the trans I purchased second hand. I intend to use the throwout bearing that came with the clutch kit. I have not made a decision about the clutch fork.

Regardless, neither of these parts should be hard to source since they are identical to the parts from the MA70/MK3 Supra. Any Toyota dealer in the states should be able to have them in your possession within a week.

Last edited by Blizzy; 01-26-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-26-08, 02:48 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blizzy
Short answer: no.

The clutch kit I have comes with a throwout bearing, and the clutch fork is still with the trans I purchased second hand. I intend to use the throwout bearing that came with the clutch kit. I have not made a decision about the clutch fork.

Regardless, neither of these parts should be hard to source since they are identical to the parts from the MA70/MK3 Supra. Any Toyota dealer in the states should be able to have them in your possession within a week.
I was curious cuz i wanted to do something with my W58. I know the parts are very similar or identical to the R154 (throw out bearing being one of them). The only parts that will be a problem are a bellhousing to mate to the 1UZ and a flywheel. Im still trying to figure out what to do with the fork as i want to have a custom flywheel drilled to a 2JZ clutch pattern. I'm still in learning mode right now so questions and research will get me there. Thanks for the input and keep up the good work!
Old 01-26-08, 03:00 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I was curious cuz i wanted to do something with my W58. I know the parts are very similar or identical to the R154 (throw out bearing being one of them). The only parts that will be a problem are a bellhousing to mate to the 1UZ and a flywheel. Im still trying to figure out what to do with the fork as i want to have a custom flywheel drilled to a 2JZ clutch pattern. I'm still in learning mode right now so questions and research will get me there. Thanks for the input and keep up the good work!
The W58 from an SC/Supra will not have to have the shifter location adapted. As I look back at what I have done, I almost wish I had stuck to the W58 since I could have done everything so much more cheaply and without the rat race of trying to find so many incredibly rare parts.

For a W58 swap on the 1UZ:
1. TTC UZ/JZ Bellhousing Adapter Plate ($750)
2. Lextreme W58/UZ Flywheel ($300)
3. Stock SC300/Supra W58 Trans (~$250)
4. Stock SC300 5MT peripherals (~$250)
5. W58 clutch kit (~$500)

If you are wanting to do the W58 swap, your list of parts to locate is much shorter. Eric at TTC can get you the adapter plate, and Lextreme can source you the flywheel. Other than those parts, you will only need stock parts that are available at the dealer or on the classifieds.

As I said, if I had to do it all over again, I might have gone this way. It would have been less headache. Although, the R154 MK3-->Soarer conversion parts are likely a more influential discovery for the SC community...and I will not have to worry about babying the R154 with only ~400hp. Nevertheless, the W58 is less expensive and significantly less of a headache to find the necessary swap bits.
Old 01-26-08, 03:33 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blizzy
The W58 from an SC/Supra will not have to have the shifter location adapted. As I look back at what I have done, I almost wish I had stuck to the W58 since I could have done everything so much more cheaply and without the rat race of trying to find so many incredibly rare parts.

For a W58 swap on the 1UZ:
1. TTC UZ/JZ Bellhousing Adapter Plate ($750)
2. Lextreme W58/UZ Flywheel ($300)
3. Stock SC300/Supra W58 Trans (~$250)
4. Stock SC300 5MT peripherals (~$250)
5. W58 clutch kit (~$500)

If you are wanting to do the W58 swap, your list of parts to locate is much shorter. Eric at TTC can get you the adapter plate, and Lextreme can source you the flywheel. Other than those parts, you will only need stock parts that are available at the dealer or on the classifieds.

As I said, if I had to do it all over again, I might have gone this way. It would have been less headache. Although, the R154 MK3-->Soarer conversion parts are likely a more influential discovery for the SC community...and I will not have to worry about babying the R154 with only ~400hp. Nevertheless, the W58 is less expensive and significantly less of a headache to find the necessary swap bits.
My list is a tad shorter, i already have a 97 5-speed SC (see sig)...just need a V8, a few more parts and im all set!!!

The only downside to the W58 is its not as strong as a R154, but nothing a rebuild can't fix. I want to go the NA route so that too can help prolong the life of my tranny.

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness