Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The start of some V8 madness

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 08:41 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some shots of the parts I received from Toyota Japan by way of Carson Toyota to convert the shifter location of a MK3 R154 to suit the Soarer/SC. These parts are OEM parts from the early version Soarer R154, which is a direct descendant of the MK3 R154.

These parts have been referenced multiple times in this thread, but in the event that you have missed them, here they are one more time:
Housing, Shifter (33521-24040)
Control Shift Lever (33570-24010)

The Soarer parts are 1.125" longer than the corresponding MA70 (MK3) Supra parts. This will extend the shifter sufficiently to not contact the metal bar separating the shifter area from the ash tray.

This is a shot to confirm the identical shifter geometries between the MA70 Supra shifter and the C's short shifter for the early version JZZ30 Soarer. Note that the stock shifter from the MK3 that came with my trans had been hacked up a bit:

Here is a shot from another direction to show the similarities in the two shifters. When I received my early version JZZ30 Soarer short shifter from C's in Japan, I noticed that the instruction manual listed the MA70 and JZA70 (MK3) Supra shifters to have the same part number. This is further evidence of the identical shifter:

Here is the money shot showing the differences in shifter location from the two shifter housings. As mentioned, the extension is 1.125", which will give you the OEM shifter location from the early version JZZ30 Soarer trans:

Here is a shot for comparison of the two shifter housings. Notice how much longer the JZZ30 Soarer housing is. But, notice how everything else is identical in term of bolt location, shifter angle, etc:

Here is another shot to compare the Supra and Soarer R154 shifter housings. This shifter housing, which looks altogether similar to what BoostLogic and Tech2 are charging hundreds to custom fabricate, put me out $60 from Toyota Japan through Luis at Carson Toyota. It is a heck of a deal:

If you look really close, you will notice that the shifter housing from Toyota came pre-greased in the socket where the shifter ball enters the housing. I wonder if the Tech2 or Boostlogic extensions come pre-greased?

If the shofter housing is extended 1.125" to suit the Soarer, then the shift lever just inside the housing must be corresspondingly extended 1.125". This piece is that longer shift lever to complete the parts necessary for the shifter extension conversion:

Here is the shift lever inside the stock MK3 trans that needs replacing to put the shifter itself in the appropriate location to suit the extension. If my R154 was not behind 26 things at the moment, I would have pulled the trans and swapped out the piece:

This is a simple mock up shot to illustrate the 1.125" extension from the JZZ30 shift lever that suits the JZZ30 shifter housing. Both of these parts came from Carson Toyota for $76. The shifter housing was $60 and this shift lever was $16:
Old 02-15-08, 08:47 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, this is great news. You have sure done a lot for the SC400 community, I need to get my lazy butt up and do a swap as well!
Old 02-15-08, 10:26 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Thank you so much for your path finding. I always wondered if there was an OEM solution to retrofitting an R154 and you've figured it out. Check's in the mail!

I will be calling Luis on Tuesday and placing the order for the parts.

I know driftmotion sells the 1JZ bell housing for the R154. Where did you get yours? Can Carson get those for us also?

Now I just need to track down a JZA70 MK3 R154!
Old 02-15-08, 10:40 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

Any toyota dealership can order the 1jzgte bellhousing. Some dealerships offer discounts to supra owners though. Carson can get it, but i dont think i would want them to ship something that big from canada.

Blizzy. My friend Loren is doing a 1jz swap into his mk3 and by LUCK received a early model soarer trans with the parts you listed above, and he's willing to trade me supra parts for them.. My question is how do I get the shift lever out? is it just that bolt or do I need to remove the entire tail shaft of the trans to get it out?
Old 02-15-08, 10:51 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shern
Thank you so much for your path finding. I always wondered if there was an OEM solution to retrofitting an R154 and you've figured it out. Check's in the mail!

I will be calling Luis on Tuesday and placing the order for the parts.

I know driftmotion sells the 1JZ bell housing for the R154. Where did you get yours? Can Carson get those for us also?

Now I just need to track down a JZA70 MK3 R154!
Luis said he has received three requests for these two shifter housing parts already this week. Expect the layover to be about three weeks.

Champion Toyota in Texas has the best price on the 1JZ bellhousing that you will find. They pride themselves on this. Call and ask for Jay.

A JZA70 R154 would require no bellhousing swap. You may struggle to find one of them. But, MA70 R154 transmissions are a dime per dozen. I got mine with no grinds, all its gears, and 100k miles for $150 with the front driveshaft. Check Supraforums classifieds.

ps. there is not need to thank me. this pathfinding is me just sharing some toyota love with everyone in the community.

Originally Posted by joewitafro
My question is how do I get the shift lever out? is it just that bolt or do I need to remove the entire tail shaft of the trans to get it out?
Removing the bolt does not allow clearance for the shift lever to be removed. The tail of the transmission needs to be accessed. I have not had a chance to look into it intensely, yet. That will be a job of mine in the coming weeks once I am in my new house.

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
wow, this is great news. You have sure done a lot for the SC400 community, I need to get my lazy butt up and do a swap as well!
Thanks for the compliment, Tony. I would be lying if I said your car wasn't a big influence on me wanting to take my SC to the next level. Even though your car is of a completely different personality, the way in which you have completed your build is inspiration for anyone.
Old 02-15-08, 10:58 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blizzy
A JZA70 R154 would require no bellhousing swap. You may struggle to find one of them. But, MA70 R154 transmissions are a dime per dozen. I got mine with no grinds, all its gears, and 100k miles for $150 with the front driveshaft. Check Supraforums classifieds.
Thanks for the clarification. Not sure why I was using the Japanese Supra chassis code with the 1JZ for our wack MK3 7M Supras. Thanks.
Old 02-16-08, 01:24 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blizzy, great update, love the detail, and appreciate the tremendous aid you are to the performance of the Lexus V8 Community...As Tony said, you really are an inspiration!! I look forward to seeing your ride at the V8 Shootout!! We are up to 40 committed now...COme on out guys!!!!!!!

Ryan
Old 02-16-08, 11:48 AM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Looking good mate!

That's some pretty useful info, will extend the range of boxes that we can now use.

Have you sorted a flywheel and bellhousing? Have you seen what's available here in NZ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...?member=518336

Matt.
Old 02-16-08, 04:05 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blizzy, much thanks for confirming this for the community. i'm now debating whether to go ahead and order the parts now before the w58 blows on me.
Old 02-26-08, 12:07 AM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

Any updates?
Old 02-26-08, 03:30 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joewitafro
Any updates?
My house has been closed on.
The SC is sitting in storage.
Move in is 3/10.
The drivetrain should be pulled by Saint Patrick's Day.
More updates will certainly follow when I am in the process of swapping.
Old 02-27-08, 12:45 AM
rwdpwr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*bows down*
thank you so much for the best (imo) alternative r154 extension. OEM parts and cheaper prices...what more can i ask for? thank you so much for showing this awesome information!
Old 02-27-08, 09:27 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rwdpwr
*bows down*
thank you so much for the best (imo) alternative r154 extension. OEM parts and cheaper prices...what more can i ask for? thank you so much for showing this awesome information!
you are welcome, man. it is all about asking the right people. knowledge is power. this very situation is exactly why these forums are so valuable: the community can benefit so much from everyone actively contributing their findings. again, you are welcome.
Old 02-27-08, 09:31 PM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice update blizzy. cant wait to see more. all this work is going to be SO worth it in the end. I havent checked in on this thread in a while. You're making crazy progress.
Old 02-27-08, 09:33 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Curry
Very nice update blizzy. cant wait to see more. all this work is going to be SO worth it in the end. I havent checked in on this thread in a while. You're making crazy progress.
I agree. I'm hoping to talk you into letting me drive it in Texas!

KC

Quick Reply: The start of some V8 madness